Date   

Media (jpg images) showing as icon

Jayne
 

I am using V7 and working my way through changing my generic sources to template-based and today I have hit a snag that is totally illogical to me and I cannot fathom what I am doing incorrectly.

On the media tab I have a list of images already in the file. I link the images on my hard drive through here to the FH file using the "file".  Then I link these media files through the property box, or in the source citation box to the relevant individual, or through the "add media to fact" in the property box. Everything has worked fine until today. In some cases, (not all) of the images I have linked, will only show as icons and not images. If I click on this icon it will load the full image into my editing program, no problem.  I cannot figure out why it is only showing an icon. I tried linking an image already working properly which I linked yesterday, but although that still shows the full photo in yesterday's link, the same image linked today will only show as an icon. I even tried saving a couple of images as pngs, but they still show only as an icon. Why would the same image linked in my media list only show as an icon in one link, but as an image in the other? Both paths are the same -it's a link to the same image. I am totally confused. Any ideas would be great thanks.


Re: Missing photographs in .pdfs of trees

Ron Chapman
 

I too am having this problem. If I click on Diagram/Save Diagram As/PDF file (.pdf)... The Save as PDF File opens. The result is the same whichever option I choose. The Print box opens. The Printer is set at Family Historian PDF. I get the Family Historian PDF - Save PDF File As. At the top is this box highlighted in Red Family Historian Profile (Private Profile) The preview open without pictures in the boxes.

Alternatively
File/Print Select Family Historian PDF Printer. Straight to Family Historian PDF - Save PDF File As. At the top is this box highlighted in Red Family Historian Profile (Private Profile) The preview open without pictures in the boxes.
Ron


Re: Entering Siblings with Unknown Parents

Brian Horridge
 

John

When I'm in the same situation as you, I've simply gone into the "Focus" window and selected the "Parents and Siblings" tab and there is an option towards the bottom to "Add Sibling".  It does create a Family without parents but you do not have to enter their details (unless you want to).

Brian


On 31/03/2021 19:15, johnfirr via groups.io wrote:
I have come across three parish burials in a small hamlet which are almost certainly three siblings. However although I am pretty confident that they are siblings I have no idea who the parents are. However it does not appear that FH will allow you to enter siblings without a parent ( I guess this is something to do with family groups) so the only way I can see to do it is to enter a dummy parent called unknown unknown ( if mother) or unknown surname ( if father)

Am I on the right track or is there a more elegant solution?

regards
John Firr

Virus-free. www.avg.com


Re: Entering Siblings with Unknown Parents

stephen.challis@...
 

A fascinating thought, Adrian. I wonder how many non-English speakers are currently trying to trace relatives of John Doe ….

 

 

Stephen Challis

Please reply to Stephen.Challis@...

 

From: family-historian@groups.io [mailto:family-historian@groups.io] On Behalf Of Adrian Bruce
Sent: 31 March 2021 21:00
To: Family Historian Groups.io mailing list
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Entering Siblings with Unknown Parents

 

 

 

On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 at 19:15, johnfirr via groups.io <johnfirr=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

... However it does not appear that FH will allow you to enter siblings without a parent ( I guess this is something to do with family groups) so the only way I can see to do it is to enter a dummy parent called unknown unknown ( if mother) or unknown surname ( if father) ...

 

Some people take against this idea because they believe it to be misleading. I don't think I'm going to confuse myself by having someone called  "unknown unknown", so I don't have a problem with such a name.

 

It becomes more of a problem if you transfer the data to someone else - particularly if you cross a language boundary. Imagine trying to trace a German family with parents Herr and Frau Unbekannt if you didn't realise that Unbekannt meant Unknown....

 

Personally, I prefer to create a dummy person because I can add notes to that person saying what the current state of research is for them. Again, there are other ways of doing this.

 

Adrian

 

 


Re: Entering Siblings with Unknown Parents

Victor Markham
 

When I don't know the parents names. Let's say the surname of the child is Smith I put the fathers name as // Smith and mother's name as// (Smith)

Victor

On 31 Mar 2021, at 21:00, Adrian Bruce <abruce6155@...> wrote:


On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 at 19:15, johnfirr via groups.io <johnfirr= yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
... However it does not appear that FH will allow you to enter siblings without a parent ( I guess this is something to do with family groups) so the only way I can see to do it is to enter a dummy parent called unknown unknown ( if mother) or unknown surname ( if father) ...

Some people take against this idea because they believe it to be misleading. I don't think I'm going to confuse myself by having someone called  "unknown unknown", so I don't have a problem with such a name.

It becomes more of a problem if you transfer the data to someone else - particularly if you cross a language boundary. Imagine trying to trace a German family with parents Herr and Frau Unbekannt if you didn't realise that Unbekannt meant Unknown....

Personally, I prefer to create a dummy person because I can add notes to that person saying what the current state of research is for them. Again, there are other ways of doing this.

Adrian



Re: Entering Siblings with Unknown Parents

Adrian Bruce
 



On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 at 19:15, johnfirr via groups.io <johnfirr=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
... However it does not appear that FH will allow you to enter siblings without a parent ( I guess this is something to do with family groups) so the only way I can see to do it is to enter a dummy parent called unknown unknown ( if mother) or unknown surname ( if father) ...

Some people take against this idea because they believe it to be misleading. I don't think I'm going to confuse myself by having someone called  "unknown unknown", so I don't have a problem with such a name.

It becomes more of a problem if you transfer the data to someone else - particularly if you cross a language boundary. Imagine trying to trace a German family with parents Herr and Frau Unbekannt if you didn't realise that Unbekannt meant Unknown....

Personally, I prefer to create a dummy person because I can add notes to that person saying what the current state of research is for them. Again, there are other ways of doing this.

Adrian



Re: Entering Siblings with Unknown Parents

Mike Tate
 

It is possible on the Families tab of the Records Window to right-click and create an empty New Family record.

Then right-click that record and repeatedly use Add Child to link existing Individuals.

However, it is easier to add a temporary dummy parent and delete them after adding the children.

 


Entering Siblings with Unknown Parents

johnfirr@...
 

I have come across three parish burials in a small hamlet which are almost certainly three siblings. However although I am pretty confident that they are siblings I have no idea who the parents are. However it does not appear that FH will allow you to enter siblings without a parent ( I guess this is something to do with family groups) so the only way I can see to do it is to enter a dummy parent called unknown unknown ( if mother) or unknown surname ( if father)

Am I on the right track or is there a more elegant solution?

regards
John Firr


Re: Missing photographs in .pdfs of trees

Mike Tate
 

Yes, if you are in the habit of only letting your PC ‘Sleep’ or you ‘Shutdown’ and reboot then in Windows 10 things can stay broken.

A PC ‘Restart’ is a magic ‘cure all’ because it rebuilds most of your profile from scratch which those other modes do not.


Re: Missing photographs in .pdfs of trees

Sidney Katzen
 

Well, with guidance from Martin at Calico, I restarted my PC and voila, the photograph/icons appeared again!


Re: Missing photographs in .pdfs of trees

Neil Grantham
 

Works fine for me.


Make sure the Family Historian PDF printer is selected.

That said, Adobe Acrobat and MS PDF printers worked the same and created diagrams with images


Best Wishes


Neil.





------ Original Message ------
From: "Sidney Katzen" <sidney.katzen@...>
To: family-historian@groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, 31 Mar, 2021 At 10:30
Subject: [family-historian] Missing photographs in .pdfs of trees

Hello.
Has anyone noticed with the new .pdf setup, that picture-icons in trees have disappeared. The included photographs are there OK in .jpg versions. Prior to Version 7.03 there was no problem with trees, although of course, reports were a mess .

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow, Birchall.


Re: Missing photographs in .pdfs of trees

Mike Tate
 

Victor, this thread is about Diagram PDF not Report PDF.

It is not possible to save a Diagram in Rich Text Format!

 


Re: Missing photographs in .pdfs of trees

Victor Markham
 

Am I the only one who has never used PDF?

I save all my narrative reports in Rch Text Format then save them again in Word. I edit thigs from there includng making the images bigger. This includes census images which I rotate and make them cover a whole page

Victor

On 31/03/2021 11:29 am, Mike Tate wrote:

Hi Sidney,

If you mean the photo shown in each person’s box then they are OK in the PDF I have produced using V7.0.3.

Have you checked that the Family Historian PDF printer driver is being used and its Properties are sensible?

 


Re: Missing photographs in .pdfs of trees

Mike Tate
 

Hi Sidney,

If you mean the photo shown in each person’s box then they are OK in the PDF I have produced using V7.0.3.

Have you checked that the Family Historian PDF printer driver is being used and its Properties are sensible?

 

_._,_._,_


Missing photographs in .pdfs of trees

Sidney Katzen
 

Hello.
Has anyone noticed with the new .pdf setup, that picture-icons in trees have disappeared.  The included photographs are there OK in .jpg versions. Prior to Version 7.03 there was no problem with trees, although of course, reports were a mess .


Re: Entering a Source for the first time

Mike Tate
 

When you say lines for Census, do you mean more than one Census fact on the Facts tab?

Just keep adding extra Census facts each with a different Date and Place if necessary and add the Citations to those.

 


Re: Entering a Source for the first time

Golden Oldie
 

I have now found my way to "How to Copy and Paste Source Citations" in the Help Index. The process of pasting was what was eluding me. Sources for births and deaths of both the husband and wife and the marriage taken from the Civil Registration Indexes are now loaded and showing in the Source Information Box. I wish there were some sort of marker on the relevant lines in the main focus area to show that a source has been obtained for that fact.

Another question: Why aren't there lines for more than one census? I have 4 or 5 to put in for many of my entries. It is interesting to know immediately if a person moves around a lot or spends their whole life in one place.

Pat Jeffs



On Tue, 30 Mar 2021 at 17:25, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Copy Citation just puts a copy in the clipboard.

Select the Fact you want to add the citation to and in the yellow Sources For pane use the Paste Citation at the bottom.

Please read through the Help pages I mentioned.

 


Re: Find My Past hints

Brian Bottomley
 

Stephen

Thanks, yes possible  (pity his wife though) but can't see any records of burials of a Samuel Oldfield during that 12 month period. In this instance I'm favouring a transcription error until evidence persuades me otherwise.

Regards
Brian


Re: Display in Property Box

BillH
 

I just realized my screen shot didn't show the Sources For pane and Citation Window with data.  Here is a better one.

Bill


Re: Entering a Source for the first time

Mike Tate
 

Copy Citation just puts a copy in the clipboard.

Select the Fact you want to add the citation to and in the yellow Sources For pane use the Paste Citation at the bottom.

Please read through the Help pages I mentioned.

 

101 - 120 of 3543