Date   

Re: deleting files

Trevor Rix
 

James, does your local family history society have a computer group? Does your local U3A have a family history group? Both options may offer one-to-one assistance in using Family Historian. Both will probably be meeting online at present. That is what is happening in my locality.

Trevor


Re: deleting files

james o'kelly
 

Thank you Victor, do you know when and where there might be a training session? I know it might be a bit awkward in these trying times, or is there anyone near to Lincolnshire that may be able to help? I don't mind if I have to travel, 


On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 9:27 PM Victor Markham <victor@...> wrote:

James

There have been training courses for users so may be of benefit to you to attend the next one.

I find FH is great compared to others but I am not 100% familiar with it. However I get about fine and am happy

Just take one step at a time and persevere. Hopefully in the end you will like it as much as I do

Victor

On 24/07/2020 8:55 pm, james o'kelly wrote:
Thank you for your support Neil, I still can't where I am going wrong, but I will sort it I am sure, Mike has been a great help, 

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 8:24 PM Neil Grantham via groups.io <neil40=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Keep battling on James,
I think FH is as complicated as you want. Out of the box I think it's pretty easy to use compared to some I've used in the past such as 'The Master Genealogist' (now defunct)

The baffling thing is, that you appear to have installed in a none standard way, whether that's consciously or not I don't know.
By default, if you just install via the Wizard, your projects would have all been in the standard place rather than on your desktop.

I know that Mike is trying his hardest to get this sorted for you.

Best Wishes,

Neil


On Friday, 24 July 2020, 19:43:44 BST, james o'kelly <shaymoandann@...> wrote:


this is not a wind up, but I have come to the conclusion that Family Historian, is a very complicated programe, I am beginning to wish that I never wish that I had never purchased it in the first place, but I will follow mike's latest instructions and hopefully I will get it sorted, however long it takes, I will not post any more until I have it sorted, once again Mike, thank you for your patience and perseverance with me. 
  

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 5:18 PM Jonathan Copeland <jccopeland@...> wrote:
I must say I've been feeling the same thing.




Mailtrack Sender notified by
Mailtrack 07/24/20, 05:17:31 PM


On Fri, 24 Jul 2020 at 16:54, John Liddle, Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow" via groups.io <jaliddle=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
A casual observer would be forgiven for thinking that it's beginning to sound like a wind-up.


Re: deleting files

Victor Markham
 

James

There have been training courses for users so may be of benefit to you to attend the next one.

I find FH is great compared to others but I am not 100% familiar with it. However I get about fine and am happy

Just take one step at a time and persevere. Hopefully in the end you will like it as much as I do

Victor

On 24/07/2020 8:55 pm, james o'kelly wrote:
Thank you for your support Neil, I still can't where I am going wrong, but I will sort it I am sure, Mike has been a great help, 

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 8:24 PM Neil Grantham via groups.io <neil40=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Keep battling on James,
I think FH is as complicated as you want. Out of the box I think it's pretty easy to use compared to some I've used in the past such as 'The Master Genealogist' (now defunct)

The baffling thing is, that you appear to have installed in a none standard way, whether that's consciously or not I don't know.
By default, if you just install via the Wizard, your projects would have all been in the standard place rather than on your desktop.

I know that Mike is trying his hardest to get this sorted for you.

Best Wishes,

Neil


On Friday, 24 July 2020, 19:43:44 BST, james o'kelly <shaymoandann@...> wrote:


this is not a wind up, but I have come to the conclusion that Family Historian, is a very complicated programe, I am beginning to wish that I never wish that I had never purchased it in the first place, but I will follow mike's latest instructions and hopefully I will get it sorted, however long it takes, I will not post any more until I have it sorted, once again Mike, thank you for your patience and perseverance with me. 
  

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 5:18 PM Jonathan Copeland <jccopeland@...> wrote:
I must say I've been feeling the same thing.




Mailtrack Sender notified by
Mailtrack 07/24/20, 05:17:31 PM


On Fri, 24 Jul 2020 at 16:54, John Liddle, Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow" via groups.io <jaliddle=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
A casual observer would be forgiven for thinking that it's beginning to sound like a wind-up.


Re: deleting files

james o'kelly
 

Thank you for your support Neil, I still can't where I am going wrong, but I will sort it I am sure, Mike has been a great help, 


On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 8:24 PM Neil Grantham via groups.io <neil40=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Keep battling on James,
I think FH is as complicated as you want. Out of the box I think it's pretty easy to use compared to some I've used in the past such as 'The Master Genealogist' (now defunct)

The baffling thing is, that you appear to have installed in a none standard way, whether that's consciously or not I don't know.
By default, if you just install via the Wizard, your projects would have all been in the standard place rather than on your desktop.

I know that Mike is trying his hardest to get this sorted for you.

Best Wishes,

Neil


On Friday, 24 July 2020, 19:43:44 BST, james o'kelly <shaymoandann@...> wrote:


this is not a wind up, but I have come to the conclusion that Family Historian, is a very complicated programe, I am beginning to wish that I never wish that I had never purchased it in the first place, but I will follow mike's latest instructions and hopefully I will get it sorted, however long it takes, I will not post any more until I have it sorted, once again Mike, thank you for your patience and perseverance with me. 
  

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 5:18 PM Jonathan Copeland <jccopeland@...> wrote:
I must say I've been feeling the same thing.




Mailtrack Sender notified by
Mailtrack 07/24/20, 05:17:31 PM

On Fri, 24 Jul 2020 at 16:54, John Liddle, Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow" via groups.io <jaliddle=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
A casual observer would be forgiven for thinking that it's beginning to sound like a wind-up.


Re: deleting files

Neil Grantham
 

Keep battling on James,
I think FH is as complicated as you want. Out of the box I think it's pretty easy to use compared to some I've used in the past such as 'The Master Genealogist' (now defunct)

The baffling thing is, that you appear to have installed in a none standard way, whether that's consciously or not I don't know.
By default, if you just install via the Wizard, your projects would have all been in the standard place rather than on your desktop.

I know that Mike is trying his hardest to get this sorted for you.

Best Wishes,

Neil


On Friday, 24 July 2020, 19:43:44 BST, james o'kelly <shaymoandann@...> wrote:


this is not a wind up, but I have come to the conclusion that Family Historian, is a very complicated programe, I am beginning to wish that I never wish that I had never purchased it in the first place, but I will follow mike's latest instructions and hopefully I will get it sorted, however long it takes, I will not post any more until I have it sorted, once again Mike, thank you for your patience and perseverance with me. 
  

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 5:18 PM Jonathan Copeland <jccopeland@...> wrote:
I must say I've been feeling the same thing.




Mailtrack Sender notified by
Mailtrack 07/24/20, 05:17:31 PM

On Fri, 24 Jul 2020 at 16:54, John Liddle, Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow" via groups.io <jaliddle=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
A casual observer would be forgiven for thinking that it's beginning to sound like a wind-up.


Re: deleting files

james o'kelly
 

this is not a wind up, but I have come to the conclusion that Family Historian, is a very complicated programe, I am beginning to wish that I never wish that I had never purchased it in the first place, but I will follow mike's latest instructions and hopefully I will get it sorted, however long it takes, I will not post any more until I have it sorted, once again Mike, thank you for your patience and perseverance with me. 
  

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 5:18 PM Jonathan Copeland <jccopeland@...> wrote:
I must say I've been feeling the same thing.




Mailtrack Sender notified by
Mailtrack 07/24/20, 05:17:31 PM

On Fri, 24 Jul 2020 at 16:54, John Liddle, Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow" via groups.io <jaliddle=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
A casual observer would be forgiven for thinking that it's beginning to sound like a wind-up.


Re: deleting files

Jonathan Copeland
 

I must say I've been feeling the same thing.




Mailtrack Sender notified by
Mailtrack 07/24/20, 05:17:31 PM


On Fri, 24 Jul 2020 at 16:54, John Liddle, Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow" via groups.io <jaliddle=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
A casual observer would be forgiven for thinking that it's beginning to sound like a wind-up.


Re: deleting files

John Liddle, Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"
 

A casual observer would be forgiven for thinking that it's beginning to sound like a wind-up.


Re: deleting files

Mike Tate
 

James, why are you working with Location: set to My Documents\Family Historian Projects ?

You are not following my instructions.

You have copied the Kelly and O’Kelly Family but not copied the other Projects from …\Desktop\Shays Trees

 

Click on My Documents\Family Historian Projects, select Choose Location… and browse to C:\Users\shay\Desktop\Shays Tree to reveal your Projects.

Do NOT use Choose Location again until you have copied all the Projects.

Keep the Location: set to C:\Users\shay\Desktop\Shays Tree. Is that clear?

 

Now follow the steps 1 - 5 shown in my earlier screenshot to Copy each of the Projects in turn one at a time.

So you must select one Project, perform the 5 steps, select the next Project, perform the 5 steps, and so on for each of the four Projects:

            1 3

            Ann’s Family Tree (2)

            Ann’s Family Tree

            Family Historian Sample Project

 

PLEASE DO NOT change the Location. Keep it set to C:\Users\shay\Desktop\Shays Tree

 

PLEASE DO NOT delete anything. DO NOT delete Backups. DO NOT delete Projects.

They are your protection in case things go wrong, which is highly likely if you do not follow instructions closely.

 

PLEASE DO NOT do anything else that I have not asked you to do.

 

If you continue to go off doing your own thing, I will stop helping you.

 

This Project copying should have been completed days ago.

 


Re: deleting files

james o'kelly
 

Hi Mike in answer to your questions, did not find Family Historian Sample Project, in the project window, that's why I could not copy it, the reason the project is in My Documents\Family Historian Projects might be explained by the screenshot attached, the back ups I referred to, ever time I add data to the tree, when I close it always asked if I want to back up, which I do, is this the correct procedure?   


On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 9:50 AM Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

What do you mean by “it looks like all the projects are in one place”?

They should still be in two places, i.e. …\Desktop\Shays Tree\ and …\Documents\Family Historian Projects\

I guess you have changed the Project Location: to My Documents\Family Historian Projects even though I did not ask you to do that.

 

Please explain the problem with copying over the FH sample project.

 

What backup files are you talking about?

 

Please get into the habit of describing things in more detail.

You know what you are talking about, but I cannot see what you can see, unless you provide a screenshot.

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of james o'kelly
Sent: 22 July 2020 21:43
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] deleting files

 

well Mike, it looks like all the projects are in one place, but I didn't manage to copy over the FH sample project,

 where do we go from here?, can I now delete the backup files and start to save them again as I go on,  

 


Re: deleting files

james o'kelly
 

Sorry I forgot to mention, they are saved in the two places as you said, 


On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 9:34 PM james o'kelly <shaymoandann@...> wrote:
Hi Mike in answer to your questions, did not find Family Historian Sample Project, in the project window, that's why I could not copy it, the reason the project is in My Documents\Family Historian Projects might be explained by the screenshot attached, the back ups I referred to, ever time I add data to the tree, when I close it always asked if I want to back up, which I do, is this the correct procedure?   

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 9:50 AM Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

What do you mean by “it looks like all the projects are in one place”?

They should still be in two places, i.e. …\Desktop\Shays Tree\ and …\Documents\Family Historian Projects\

I guess you have changed the Project Location: to My Documents\Family Historian Projects even though I did not ask you to do that.

 

Please explain the problem with copying over the FH sample project.

 

What backup files are you talking about?

 

Please get into the habit of describing things in more detail.

You know what you are talking about, but I cannot see what you can see, unless you provide a screenshot.

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of james o'kelly
Sent: 22 July 2020 21:43
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] deleting files

 

well Mike, it looks like all the projects are in one place, but I didn't manage to copy over the FH sample project,

 where do we go from here?, can I now delete the backup files and start to save them again as I go on,  

 


Re: Working with Lists

Sheila Bryant
 

Absolutely. The man is a legend!

Sheila


On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 at 19:11, <stephen.challis@...> wrote:

You’re not the only one, Connie! Either that or saint-hood!

 

Stephen

 

 

Stephen Challis

Please reply to Stephen.Challis@...

 

From: family-historian@groups.io [mailto:family-historian@groups.io] On Behalf Of Connie Williams
Sent: 22 July 2020 15:04
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Working with Lists

 

 

 

……..and I am thinking that we should be submitting Mike Tate to Windsor Castle for an award alongside Captain Tom!

 

 

 

Mrs  Connie  Williams

 



--
Sheila


Re: How related Diagram

Neil Grantham
 

Jane and Mike

The 'Family Connection Mapper' option worked a treat.

Best Wishes,

Neil


On Thursday, 23 July 2020, 12:36:02 BST, Jane Taubman <janetaubman@...> wrote:


To change the colour of the line on the diagram once displayed go to diagram>Family Connection mapper and select the line and then click the Format button.

On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 at 12:20, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

You can use either the Tools > How Related command which always uses Descendant Diagrams, or in any Diagram use the Diagram > Family Connection Mapper.

If you use the former, then in the resultant Diagram the latter option lets you choose the colour.

 

Regards, Mike Tate


Re: How related Diagram

Jane Taubman
 

To change the colour of the line on the diagram once displayed go to diagram>Family Connection mapper and select the line and then click the Format button.


On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 at 12:20, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

You can use either the Tools > How Related command which always uses Descendant Diagrams, or in any Diagram use the Diagram > Family Connection Mapper.

If you use the former, then in the resultant Diagram the latter option lets you choose the colour.

 

Regards, Mike Tate


Re: How related Diagram

Brian Peacock
 

HI Neil

Check the Calico Pie youtube channel. I think there is a video that covers what you are looking for


On Thu, 23 Jul 2020, 11:13 Neil Grantham via groups.io, <neil40=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi all

I am creating some 'How related' diagrams for a new contact to show him our common ancestry.

Is there a way to make it consistently use the same colour for the path? (I like it Red)
It seems to generate a different colour each time.
I want to create a couple of these with 'Red' highlighting but it is generating a different colour each time.
Diagram options seems to be for a 'Descendants' diagram and 'Lines' tab has nothing for the highlighted path.
Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks

Best Wishes,

Neil


Re: How related Diagram

Mike Tate
 

You can use either the Tools > How Related command which always uses Descendant Diagrams, or in any Diagram use the Diagram > Family Connection Mapper.

If you use the former, then in the resultant Diagram the latter option lets you choose the colour.

 

Regards, Mike Tate


How related Diagram

Neil Grantham
 

Hi all

I am creating some 'How related' diagrams for a new contact to show him our common ancestry.

Is there a way to make it consistently use the same colour for the path? (I like it Red)
It seems to generate a different colour each time.
I want to create a couple of these with 'Red' highlighting but it is generating a different colour each time.
Diagram options seems to be for a 'Descendants' diagram and 'Lines' tab has nothing for the highlighted path.
Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks

Best Wishes,

Neil


Re: deleting files

Mike Tate
 

What do you mean by “it looks like all the projects are in one place”?

They should still be in two places, i.e. …\Desktop\Shays Tree\ and …\Documents\Family Historian Projects\

I guess you have changed the Project Location: to My Documents\Family Historian Projects even though I did not ask you to do that.

 

Please explain the problem with copying over the FH sample project.

 

What backup files are you talking about?

 

Please get into the habit of describing things in more detail.

You know what you are talking about, but I cannot see what you can see, unless you provide a screenshot.

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of james o'kelly
Sent: 22 July 2020 21:43
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] deleting files

 

well Mike, it looks like all the projects are in one place, but I didn't manage to copy over the FH sample project,

 where do we go from here?, can I now delete the backup files and start to save them again as I go on,  

 


Re: deleting files

james o'kelly
 

well Mike, it looks like all the projects are in one place, but I didn't manage to copy over the FH sample project,
 where do we go from here?, can I now delete the backup files and start to save them again as I go on,  

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 4:04 PM Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Thank you James, that confirms there are no Projects in the default Location to interfere with the following process.

 

First, you must change the Location back to your Desktop based Projects (which you must have done some time ago).

Click on My Documents\Family Historian Projects, select Choose Location… and browse to C:\Users\shay\Desktop\Shays Tree to reveal your Projects.

 

Now perform steps 1 - 5 shown in the screenshot below to copy all the projects to the default Location. (I have not shown all your projects in the screenshot)

1 Select the name of the project to be copied

2 Click the More Tasks… button

3 Select the Copy Project… option

4 Set Location for Copy: C:\Users\shay\Documents\Family Historian Projects

5 Click the Copy button (only continue if the folder exists)

 

When successfully copied, repeat those five steps for the next project until every project has been copied.

 

A screenshot of a social media post

Description automatically generated

 


Re: Working with Lists

Gill
 

Certainly the patience of a saint!

Gill

 

From: stephen.challis@...
Sent: 22 July 2020 19:11
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Working with Lists

 

You’re not the only one, Connie! Either that or saint-hood!

 

Stephen

 

 

Stephen Challis

Please reply to Stephen.Challis@...

 

From: family-historian@groups.io [mailto:family-historian@groups.io] On Behalf Of Connie Williams
Sent: 22 July 2020 15:04
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Working with Lists

 

 

 

……..and I am thinking that we should be submitting Mike Tate to Windsor Castle for an award alongside Captain Tom!

 

 

 

Mrs  Connie  Williams

 

 

2901 - 2920 of 4105