Date   

Re: FH - Online version

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk
 

On Tue, Mar 1, 2022 at 08:47 AM, <ken@...> wrote:
The more important question that needs an answer from moderators is can we have an FH app please?
That isn't a question the moderators of this mailing list can answer - you need to address it to Caico Pie. Better still, vote for the relevant items in the Wish List: FHUG Wish List


Re: FH - Online version

ken@...
 

Seems to me that it is not the role of users and indeed commentators in this group to decide what a person may or may not do at work. 

The more important question that needs an answer from moderators is can we have an FH app please?


Re: FH - Online version

Maria Arrabal
 

Thank you Adrian.

By no means would I work on my FH lineage during work.  I have been working for over 30 years and have been considered a valuable employee.  I know the policy.  Lunch time is my time.  I really enjoy working on my family history and searching for all information possible.  

So many applications are available through the internet with appropriate security that I just thought to ask if this would be a possibility.  It would alleviate many issues concerning upgrades, etc.  Even though FH is not an online application, I chose it for appearance and simplicity.  I reviewed other genealogy software and most are online and accessible from any computer with internet access.

Regards,
Maria

On Tuesday, March 1, 2022, 10:43:47 AM EST, Adrian Bruce <abruce6155@...> wrote:




On Tue, 1 Mar 2022 at 14:16, Julia Vokes <julia.vokes7@...> wrote:
... as work is for ……work!  Also most employers would not permit loading of 3rd party software onto their server, or access it via their servers. One of my employers also blocked various social media websites etc on their systems, as they correctly stated that work was for….work!
...

As I recollect Maria did say that this was for during the lunch hour. If her employer permits recreational use of the systems (usually external access to the internet, say) during lunch time, it is not up to us to give the appearance of contradicting that.

Loading of non-company software is, as has been said, pretty unlikely to be allowed, which will exclude some of the suggested ideas.

What I would suggest is that, if lunchtime access to sites like Ancestry is permitted, then printing off a To-Do list (printing? Oh dear, listen to me!) sounds like a good idea and Maria could do some research on Ancestry (or whatever) during that time, copying and pasting results perhaps into a mail to be sent to her home address. It makes some use of time if you feel like it and it's pouring down outside.

Adrian


 


Re: Witness problem

Michael Kellett
 

Mike, thanks for your time.

 

It looks so easy when you know what you are doing.

 

Mike

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike Tate
Sent: 01 March 2022 15:16
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Witness problem

 

Ah! That makes more sense!

 

So you want the Sentence box at the bottom to continue to say such as:

“She stood as godparent at the baptism of John SMITH on 10 June 1900 in London, England.”

 

Whereas the entry above the Date: and in the list pane above is to say simply such as:

“Godparent to John SMITH”

 

OK, in Tools > Fact Types… select the Baptism event and click the Edit… button.

Now click the Roles… button on the right, choose Godparent, and click the Edit button.

That shows the Role Sentence Template that defines the Sentence box (and Narrative Report) sentence that does not need changing.

Now click the Advanced… button below, where the Template defines what appears above the Date: box in the Facts tab listing.

Since it is currently blank it automatically defaults to the Role Sentence Template but we are going to change that.

So tick the Summary Template option and type the following into the Template box.

Godparent to {principal}

 

Finally, click OK, OK again, Close, OK, Close, and the Facts tab should show what you requested.

You could repeat that for the other Roles as and when required. 

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Kellett
Sent: 01 March 2022 14:47
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Witness problem

 

Apologies, but it appears that I have confused myself. I have actually been using the Godparent witness role existing within the baptism fact. It is this that I am having the described problem with.  My custom created fact will be deleted.

 

Mike


Re: FH - Online version

Adrian Bruce
 



On Tue, 1 Mar 2022 at 14:16, Julia Vokes <julia.vokes7@...> wrote:
... as work is for ……work!  Also most employers would not permit loading of 3rd party software onto their server, or access it via their servers. One of my employers also blocked various social media websites etc on their systems, as they correctly stated that work was for….work!
...

As I recollect Maria did say that this was for during the lunch hour. If her employer permits recreational use of the systems (usually external access to the internet, say) during lunch time, it is not up to us to give the appearance of contradicting that.

Loading of non-company software is, as has been said, pretty unlikely to be allowed, which will exclude some of the suggested ideas.

What I would suggest is that, if lunchtime access to sites like Ancestry is permitted, then printing off a To-Do list (printing? Oh dear, listen to me!) sounds like a good idea and Maria could do some research on Ancestry (or whatever) during that time, copying and pasting results perhaps into a mail to be sent to her home address. It makes some use of time if you feel like it and it's pouring down outside.

Adrian


 


Re: Witness problem

Mike Tate
 

Ah! That makes more sense!

 

So you want the Sentence box at the bottom to continue to say such as:

“She stood as godparent at the baptism of John SMITH on 10 June 1900 in London, England.”

 

Whereas the entry above the Date: and in the list pane above is to say simply such as:

“Godparent to John SMITH”

 

OK, in Tools > Fact Types… select the Baptism event and click the Edit… button.

Now click the Roles… button on the right, choose Godparent, and click the Edit button.

That shows the Role Sentence Template that defines the Sentence box (and Narrative Report) sentence that does not need changing.

Now click the Advanced… button below, where the Template defines what appears above the Date: box in the Facts tab listing.

Since it is currently blank it automatically defaults to the Role Sentence Template but we are going to change that.

So tick the Summary Template option and type the following into the Template box.

Godparent to {principal}

 

Finally, click OK, OK again, Close, OK, Close, and the Facts tab should show what you requested.

You could repeat that for the other Roles as and when required.  

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Kellett
Sent: 01 March 2022 14:47
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Witness problem

 

Apologies, but it appears that I have confused myself. I have actually been using the Godparent witness role existing within the baptism fact. It is this that I am having the described problem with.  My custom created fact will be deleted.

 

Mike


Re: Witness problem

Mike Tate
 

I have to admit to being somewhat mystified.

Usually, for any facts, the word or two above the Date: box and below the toolbar is the name of the fact.

e.g. Birth, Baptism, Census, Occupation, Death, Burial, etc.

I would expect in your case it would just say: Godparent.

You are saying that instead of a word or two it is displaying a whole sentence such as: “She stood as godparent to John SMITH”.

 

In Tools > Fact Types… under the Events/Attributes heading, how is the custom fact you created listed?

i.e. Exactly what is the descriptive name of your Godparent custom fact?

Under the Type heading is it an Event or an Attribute?

 

It would be extremely useful if you could attach screenshots of what you have created as that would avoid a lot of longwinded descriptions.

"A picture is worth a thousand words"

 

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Kellett
Sent: 01 March 2022 13:47
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Witness problem

 

Hi again.

 

Godparent fact created as you describe in 1) Tools > Fact Types… and the New… button.

 

The Sentence I refer to is “She stood as godparent to………” etc appears correctly in the bottom sentence box.  This sentence is repeated above the date box you described. I would like this position to show as I mentioned , "Godparent to principals name". This is the position where the word “Birth” would appear when using the Civil Registration Certificate template.

 

Have I created the Godparent fact incorrectly or is there another means of creating the same.

 

Thanks for your time

Mike


Re: FH - Online version

John Elvin
 

I presume you mean so that it can be accessed via a web browser. Doing that is an almost total rewrite of the software to handle the different interface and would not sell many additional licences. It would therefore not be commercially viable for that to be developed.

If you are prepared to leave your home PC powered up when you are away from home, there is free software available that allows you to remote access your Windows desktop using a web browser (e.g. Team Viewer).


Re: Witness problem

Michael Kellett
 

Apologies, but it appears that I have confused myself. I have actually been using the Godparent witness role existing within the baptism fact. It is this that I am having the described problem with.  My custom created fact will be deleted.

 

Mike

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike Tate
Sent: 01 March 2022 13:04
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Witness problem

 

Sorry Mike, but you will have to give us a bit more detail of what you have done and what you can see.

 

You say you created a custom fact for Godparent but then say you are using it as a witness.

Please confirm which of the following you used:

1) Tools > Fact Types… and the New… button to create a custom fact called Godparent that is now shown in the Event/Attribute list.

2) Tools > Fact Types… selected an event such as Baptism or Birth, then used Edit… button to create Witness Role: Godparent (although that should already exist for Baptism).

 

Exactly where are the sentences you describe?

The top half of the Facts tab is a list of all the facts and below that are the details of one selected fact.

At the very bottom, there is a Sentence: box.

Are you talking about the Date: box near the top of that lower section that probably says Godparent immediately above?

 

With that clearer understanding, we should be able to help.

 

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of mikell947@...
Sent: 01 March 2022 12:22
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Witness problem

 

Hi all.
After creating a custom fact for Godparent and using as witness, in the fact tab I now have the sentence in its window, all ok. However this sentence also appears as a strip above the date field. is it possible to have this position to show, for instance, "Godparent to principals name".

Being ancient in years and a newbie to genealogy. please be gentle !

Thanks Mike 


Re: FH - Online version

Julia Vokes
 

Hi
I agree with David Burgess.  As a former HR manager, most employers would take a very dim view and probably regard it as a disciplinary issue, as work is for ……work!  Also most employers would not permit loading of 3rd party software onto their server, or access it via their servers. One of my employers also blocked various social media websites etc on their systems, as they correctly stated that work was for….work!

Julia


On 1 Mar 2022, at 13:34, David Burgess via groups.io <david.burgess42@...> wrote:



Hi

It is not clear to me why anyone would want to access Family Historian at Work.  Surely Work is for work and not playing with family history.  If you use a computer at work, then break times should be used to be away from a screen.

Whenever I am away from home, eg on holiday, I can take my laptop with me and have full access.

David Burgess

On 01/03/2022 13:01, Maria Arrabal wrote:
Good morning,

I just thought if FH would consider an online line version meaning accessible via internet.  This would be the best way to access the software and your personal data.  At this moment, FH is a software that is installed in your desktop/laptop.  I would not install FH at work since it is not permitted.  

As an example, Ancestry is accessible anywhere to you as long as you have an account.  An example is your email, which you can access at any computer connected to the internet.

I just wondered if that can be a possibility in the future with FH.

Thank you all for your comments and attention to this matter.

Maria Arrabal
Miami, Florida



Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#4889) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [david.burgess42@...]


Re: Witness problem

Michael Kellett
 

Hi again.

 

Godparent fact created as you describe in 1) Tools > Fact Types… and the New… button.

 

The Sentence I refer to is “She stood as godparent to………” etc appears correctly in the bottom sentence box.  This sentence is repeated above the date box you described. I would like this position to show as I mentioned , "Godparent to principals name". This is the position where the word “Birth” would appear when using the Civil Registration Certificate template.

 

Have I created the Godparent fact incorrectly or is there another means of creating the same.

 

Thanks for your time

Mike

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike Tate
Sent: 01 March 2022 13:04
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Witness problem

 

Sorry Mike, but you will have to give us a bit more detail of what you have done and what you can see.

 

You say you created a custom fact for Godparent but then say you are using it as a witness.

Please confirm which of the following you used:

1) Tools > Fact Types… and the New… button to create a custom fact called Godparent that is now shown in the Event/Attribute list.

2) Tools > Fact Types… selected an event such as Baptism or Birth, then used Edit… button to create Witness Role: Godparent (although that should already exist for Baptism).

 

Exactly where are the sentences you describe?

The top half of the Facts tab is a list of all the facts and below that are the details of one selected fact.

At the very bottom, there is a Sentence: box.

Are you talking about the Date: box near the top of that lower section that probably says Godparent immediately above?

 

With that clearer understanding, we should be able to help.

 

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of mikell947@...
Sent: 01 March 2022 12:22
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Witness problem

 

Hi all.
After creating a custom fact for Godparent and using as witness, in the fact tab I now have the sentence in its window, all ok. However this sentence also appears as a strip above the date field. is it possible to have this position to show, for instance, "Godparent to principals name".

Being ancient in years and a newbie to genealogy. please be gentle !

Thanks Mike 


Re: FH - Online version

David Burgess
 

Hi

It is not clear to me why anyone would want to access Family Historian at Work.  Surely Work is for work and not playing with family history.  If you use a computer at work, then break times should be used to be away from a screen.

Whenever I am away from home, eg on holiday, I can take my laptop with me and have full access.

David Burgess

On 01/03/2022 13:01, Maria Arrabal wrote:
Good morning,

I just thought if FH would consider an online line version meaning accessible via internet.  This would be the best way to access the software and your personal data.  At this moment, FH is a software that is installed in your desktop/laptop.  I would not install FH at work since it is not permitted.  

As an example, Ancestry is accessible anywhere to you as long as you have an account.  An example is your email, which you can access at any computer connected to the internet.

I just wondered if that can be a possibility in the future with FH.

Thank you all for your comments and attention to this matter.

Maria Arrabal
Miami, Florida



Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#4889) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [david.burgess42@...]

_._,_._,_
-- 
David Burgess


Re: Snapshots

Mike Tate
 

Robert,

Have you read the Help page for the Snapshots Manager?

i.e. File > Backup/Restore > Revert to Snapshot… Help button.

There is says: “At most one snapshot is taken each day.”

 

Auto-Save every 5 minutes should save Project GEDCOM updates so you only lose 5 minutes of work.

The Edit > Undo… command lets you reverse most recent changes.

But the only entirely secure method is to use File > Backup/Restore > and choose one of the options.

Small Backup is fine for GEDCOM only recovery and can be restored into your current Project.

Medium/Full Backups preserve more but need to create a new Project when restored.

 

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert Jordan
Sent: 01 March 2022 12:25
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Snapshots

 

I do not know exactly when snapshots are created. It is however a very good tool if something goes wrong.

I have found however that on the odd occasion when something does go wrong I find that the most recent snapshot is taken the day before. This can be frrustrating if something goes wrong after severa hours of updating records which is then lost by restoring from snapshot.
Is it possible that snapshots can be taken each time the project is saved or a button so that a snapshot is taken manually

Robert


Re: Witness problem

Mike Tate
 

Sorry Mike, but you will have to give us a bit more detail of what you have done and what you can see.

 

You say you created a custom fact for Godparent but then say you are using it as a witness.

Please confirm which of the following you used:

1) Tools > Fact Types… and the New… button to create a custom fact called Godparent that is now shown in the Event/Attribute list.

2) Tools > Fact Types… selected an event such as Baptism or Birth, then used Edit… button to create Witness Role: Godparent (although that should already exist for Baptism).

 

Exactly where are the sentences you describe?

The top half of the Facts tab is a list of all the facts and below that are the details of one selected fact.

At the very bottom, there is a Sentence: box.

Are you talking about the Date: box near the top of that lower section that probably says Godparent immediately above?

 

With that clearer understanding, we should be able to help.

 

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of mikell947@...
Sent: 01 March 2022 12:22
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Witness problem

 

Hi all.
After creating a custom fact for Godparent and using as witness, in the fact tab I now have the sentence in its window, all ok. However this sentence also appears as a strip above the date field. is it possible to have this position to show, for instance, "Godparent to principals name".

Being ancient in years and a newbie to genealogy. please be gentle !

Thanks Mike 


Re: FH - Online version

Maria Arrabal
 

Good morning,

I just thought if FH would consider an online line version meaning accessible via internet.  This would be the best way to access the software and your personal data.  At this moment, FH is a software that is installed in your desktop/laptop.  I would not install FH at work since it is not permitted.  

As an example, Ancestry is accessible anywhere to you as long as you have an account.  An example is your email, which you can access at any computer connected to the internet.

I just wondered if that can be a possibility in the future with FH.

Thank you all for your comments and attention to this matter.

Maria Arrabal
Miami, Florida

On Tuesday, March 1, 2022, 07:53:47 AM EST, Tom H <ve3meo@...> wrote:


If the workplace allows you to use your personal cellphone, then you could use a cellular connected tablet or chromebook to remote control a virtual Windows machine or even your pc at home. The latter would avoid any licensing issue.


Re: FH - Online version

Tom H
 

If the workplace allows you to use your personal cellphone, then you could use a cellular connected tablet or chromebook to remote control a virtual Windows machine or even your pc at home. The latter would avoid any licensing issue.


Snapshots

Robert Jordan
 

I do not know exactly when snapshots are created. It is however a very good tool if something goes wrong.

I have found however that on the odd occasion when something does go wrong I find that the most recent snapshot is taken the day before. This can be frrustrating if something goes wrong after severa hours of updating records which is then lost by restoring from snapshot.
Is it possible that snapshots can be taken each time the project is saved or a button so that a snapshot is taken manually

Robert


Witness problem

Michael Kellett
 

Hi all.
After creating a custom fact for Godparent and using as witness, in the fact tab I now have the sentence in its window, all ok. However this sentence also appears as a strip above the date field. is it possible to have this position to show, for instance, "Godparent to principals name".

Being ancient in years and a newbie to genealogy. please be gentle !

Thanks Mike 


Re: FH - Online version

John Hanson
 

All the places that I worked would not allow you to install your own software in the first place
Approved software only and then installed by the techies

 

Regards
John Hanson - researching the Halstead/Holstead/Alstead names
Researcher, the Halsted Trust - https://www.halsted.org.uk
Research website - https://www.halstedresearch.org.uk

 

Regards

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Adrian Bruce
Sent: 01 March 2022 07:37
To: Family Historian Groups.io mailing list <family-historian@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [family-historian] FH - Online version

 

 

On Mon, Feb 28, 2022, 21:13 Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

...

Regarding the use of a virtual Windows machine, I’m not sure how that squares with the FH licence terms that restrict its installation to two PC owned and used by the licensee.

 ...

Gut feeling from me would be that would need its own license as all the details would be different. In fact, I'd be concerned that each time a cloud based Windows VM was brought up, would it have different licence characteristics? Of course, they may have thought of all that licencing stuff.

 

What I really wanted to mention though, was that Maria is unlikely to be able to access anything fancy from her work PC as it's liable to be very restricted - no ability to install cloud access mechanisms, eg. In the most restricted case, she might even be confined to approved websites only. 

 

Of course, her work installation might be quite flexible but it's a factor to bear in mind.

 

Adrian


Re: FH - Online version

Adrian Bruce
 



On Mon, Feb 28, 2022, 21:13 Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

...

Regarding the use of a virtual Windows machine, I’m not sure how that squares with the FH licence terms that restrict its installation to two PC owned and used by the licensee.

 ...

Gut feeling from me would be that would need its own license as all the details would be different. In fact, I'd be concerned that each time a cloud based Windows VM was brought up, would it have different licence characteristics? Of course, they may have thought of all that licencing stuff.

What I really wanted to mention though, was that Maria is unlikely to be able to access anything fancy from her work PC as it's liable to be very restricted - no ability to install cloud access mechanisms, eg. In the most restricted case, she might even be confined to approved websites only. 

Of course, her work installation might be quite flexible but it's a factor to bear in mind.

Adrian

1341 - 1360 of 6222