Date   

Re: Family Historian versus Legacy #new

Lesley Lambourne
 

A file structure for your media is entirely possible. I'm using v6; attached is a screen grab of my media folder for my canham_and_frost project
The path for this is C:\Users\Lesley Lambourne\Documents\Family Historian Projects\canham_and_frost\canham_and_frost.fh_data

By media relinker, do you mean adding a copy of an exisiting media record to another record? That's possible too by going to the Media tab of the source > Add Media drop down > Link to Existing Media Record


Re: Family Historian versus Legacy #new

Vyger
 

I should have added I currently have 127 media folders without problem, uncheck the media folder option checkbox on import.

Jackson

On Fri, 2 Sept 2022, 11:47 Derek Heritage, <heritage-family@...> wrote:
Having made the decision to switch to Family Historian from Legacy, because it was recommended to me and it's British whereas Legacy is USA biased, I am beginning to regret my decision already. Just a few reasons, below:
Surely I'm missing something.
Please help.
Derek Heritage
Legacy 9 Family Historian 7  
Has a customizable Menu bar Limited menu bar  
Custom events are same as standard Added custom events - Hobbies Result - He had a Hobby on (date) - I want it to say He had a Hoby of ### on (date)
Media can be stored in separate folders, with sub-folders Media all in one folder  
Media can be re-linked No media re-linker  


Re: Family Historian versus Legacy #new

Vyger
 

Derek,

I migrated from Rootsmagic and really I am still a newby to FH but all your fears and claims are unfounded, for the record, I never liked LFT for some reason.

Migrating is always a difficult process but take time to learn FH to your needs, maybe run side by side with your old program, many migrants do this until they reach a level of competence then the stabilisers come off.

I will always point out the pros and cons of any software, I am no cheerleader and there is always room for improvement but FH was a step I should have taken years ago.

I don't have many FH videos, I like to compare products to provide unbiased content. Both LFT and FTM declined my offer to include their products in comparisons, their choice and saves me effort exploring other products which fall short of my needs.

Specific mention of media check out my quick promo video on the FH media features from a few days ago on the link below. I intend to follow with a tutorial pace video later in the year so feel free to subscribe if you want notifications.


Jackson



On Fri, 2 Sept 2022, 11:47 Derek Heritage, <heritage-family@...> wrote:
Having made the decision to switch to Family Historian from Legacy, because it was recommended to me and it's British whereas Legacy is USA biased, I am beginning to regret my decision already. Just a few reasons, below:
Surely I'm missing something.
Please help.
Derek Heritage
Legacy 9 Family Historian 7  
Has a customizable Menu bar Limited menu bar  
Custom events are same as standard Added custom events - Hobbies Result - He had a Hobby on (date) - I want it to say He had a Hoby of ### on (date)
Media can be stored in separate folders, with sub-folders Media all in one folder  
Media can be re-linked No media re-linker  


Re: Family Historian versus Legacy #new

Victor Markham
 

Derek
In the project folder I have a sub folder called family details. This sub folder has loads of sub folders mostly named by surnames but also a census folder with its own sub folders for each census years. I also have a certificate sub folder with sub folders for birth marriage etc
Victor

On 2 Sept 2022, at 12:26, Trevor Rix <trevor@...> wrote:

Derek, media can be stored wherever you wish, but it is highly recommended that the Media folder within the project is used. That Media folder can have subfolders - no problem.

For media re-linking go to the Tools menu > External File Links... where you can re-link/Re-Map manually or use the Auto Repair Links.


Re: Family Historian versus Legacy #new

Mike Tate
 

Regarding custom facts, FH is different from Legacy because it supports and differentiates Events and Attributes.

To include the name of a Hobby you need to delete the custom Hobby Event and create a Hobby Attribute.

That allows the name of the hobby to be entered much the same as the standard Occupation Attribute allows the occupation to be entered.

Then in the Sentence Template definition, the {value} code will substitute whatever hobby name value was entered.

In general, you will discover that FH is far more customisable than Legacy for most features but not the toolbar.

 

Storing and linking Media in FH is extremely flexible but you may have overlooked the options as mentioned by others.

 

Regards, Mike Tate

 


Re: Family Historian versus Legacy #new

Jenny Cochrane
 

Hi Derek

You can customise sentences for both standard and custom events.

In a standard fact just click on the arrow at the far right of the 'sentence' section of the properties tab and you can edit and when you set up a custom fact it asks you to define the sentence how you want it.

As per previous replies you can store media in folders as you like and there is a good media linking tool.

Not sure about the menu bar customisation. What is it you actually want to do.



On Friday, 2 September 2022 at 11:47:36 BST, Derek Heritage <heritage-family@...> wrote:


Having made the decision to switch to Family Historian from Legacy, because it was recommended to me and it's British whereas Legacy is USA biased, I am beginning to regret my decision already. Just a few reasons, below:
Surely I'm missing something.
Please help.
Derek Heritage
Legacy 9 Family Historian 7  
Has a customizable Menu bar Limited menu bar  
Custom events are same as standard Added custom events - Hobbies Result - He had a Hobby on (date) - I want it to say He had a Hoby of ### on (date)
Media can be stored in separate folders, with sub-folders Media all in one folder  
Media can be re-linked No media re-linker  


Re: Family Historian versus Legacy #new

Trevor Rix
 

Derek, media can be stored wherever you wish, but it is highly recommended that the Media folder within the project is used. That Media folder can have subfolders - no problem.

For media re-linking go to the Tools menu > External File Links... where you can re-link/Re-Map manually or use the Auto Repair Links.


Re: Family Historian versus Legacy #new

John Hanson
 

Derek

Have you had a look at the Family Historian Use Group – lots of information there www.fhug.org.uk
Totally free and independent of Calico Pie

 

You can customize sentence when you create the new fact or amend one on existing facts – just remember that it will affect all facts unless you manually override one

Media can be in multiple folders

 

Not sure what you mean by relinking media – you need to explain it more thoroughly

 

Depends on what you mean by “customizable menu bar” – haven’t looked a Legacy for a while

 

Regards

John Hanson FSG

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Derek Heritage
Sent: 02 September 2022 11:26
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Family Historian versus Legacy #new

 

Having made the decision to switch to Family Historian from Legacy, because it was recommended to me and it's British whereas Legacy is USA biased, I am beginning to regret my decision already. Just a few reasons, below:
Surely I'm missing something.
Please help.
Derek Heritage

Legacy 9

Family Historian 7

 

Has a customizable Menu bar

Limited menu bar

 

Custom events are same as standard

Added custom events - Hobbies

Result - He had a Hobby on (date) - I want it to say He had a Hoby of ### on (date)

Media can be stored in separate folders, with sub-folders

Media all in one folder

 

Media can be re-linked

No media re-linker

 


Re: Family Historian versus Legacy #new

Julia Vokes
 

Hi Derek
And I have customised several sentences so that they read how I want them to in the reports.
You need to experiment with the report settings.  Also do look at the FHUG forum which has lots of useful hints and tips

Julia 


On 2 Sep 2022, at 12:06, Fiona Hall via groups.io <fiona.j.hall@...> wrote:


Hi Derek
 
My media files are all in several folders (1881 census, 1939 Register, Marriages etc etc) so it is possible
 
Fiona
 
 
 
 


Re: Family Historian versus Legacy #new

Fiona Hall
 

Hi Derek
 
My media files are all in several folders (1881 census, 1939 Register, Marriages etc etc) so it is possible
 
Fiona
 
 
 
 


Family Historian versus Legacy #new

Derek Heritage
 

Having made the decision to switch to Family Historian from Legacy, because it was recommended to me and it's British whereas Legacy is USA biased, I am beginning to regret my decision already. Just a few reasons, below:
Surely I'm missing something.
Please help.
Derek Heritage
Legacy 9 Family Historian 7  
Has a customizable Menu bar Limited menu bar  
Custom events are same as standard Added custom events - Hobbies Result - He had a Hobby on (date) - I want it to say He had a Hoby of ### on (date)
Media can be stored in separate folders, with sub-folders Media all in one folder  
Media can be re-linked No media re-linker  


Re: Large project will no longer open in FH

Julia Riley
 

Thanks Mike. I've reverted back to a recent Snapshot and that seems to have worked. The project is not backed up or stored anywhere except on my hard drive so I don't think it is that which has caused the issue.

I will check again tomorrow to ensure that the issue does not recur again.

many thanks
Julia


Re: Large project will no longer open in FH

Mike Tate
 

As you have found, several features do not work in GEDCOM only mode.

 

If you now see Snapshots via the Project Window for this problem Project then select one taken before the problems started and revert to that.

It will set the Project GEDCOM file back to when that Snapshot was taken.

You are also able to revert back to your current GEDCOM as that is saved in Snapshots.

 

It is concerning that the problem comes and goes. So is it possible some other utility is interfering?

i.e. Is the Project folder in a cloud storage folder such as OneDrive, Google Drive, etc? Is some auto-backup tool or anti-virus tool locking the file?

 

Mike Tate

 


Re: Large project will no longer open in FH

Julia Riley
 

Oh dear, I spoke too soon - the problem is back. However I do now see Snapshots when I select this file in the Project Window, which I didn't before. I also now have a full back-up from 2 days ago.

If I have another project open, File > Backup/Restore > Revert to Snapshot lists the previous versions of the file when I made changes, as I'd expect. In Gedcom mode that doesn't work.

Any thoughts on what I can do next would be much appreciated - Mike, as you rightly said, I don't want to break something by doing the wrong thing.

Thank you
Julia


Re: Large project will no longer open in FH

Mike Tate
 

That the Project now opens is a mystery but glad that it has been resolved satisfactorily.

The quick advance from 7.0.11 past 7.0.14 to 7.0.15 was due to a bug in 7.0.14 that needed urgently fixing.

 

When you say Snapshots are not visible from More Tasks…, what exactly do you mean?

Is the Manage Snapshots… option greyed out, or when you click it are no Snapshots listed?

To make many of the More Tasks… options active you must first select a Project in the Project Window.

 

What does File > Backup/Restore > Revert to Snapshot… list?

 

Mike Tate

 


Re: Large project will no longer open in FH

Julia Riley
 

I've upgraded to version 7.15 tonight (having only upgraded to v7.14 last night) and my issue appears to be solved. My master file now opens from the Project Window. So it appears that it was a software issue after all and the file/folder was not corrupted. I'm not sure why I was prompted to go to v7.14 last night instead of straight to v7.15 but anyway - it seems to have fixed the problem. If it recurs (hopefully not) then I know where to come for help :)

I do have Snapshots in the Snapshots folder but they aren't visible from More Tasks, even after the upgrade.

Thank you so much to everyone for your help here!
Julia


Re: Large project will no longer open in FH

Mike Tate
 

Lorna, she does not need Snapshots of the GEDCOM because that appears to be OK.

I suspect it is the Project file or some other part of the Project folder that has been upset and prevents it opening as a Project.

Snapshots will not help fix that.

                                 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Lorna Craig via groups.io
Sent: 24 August 2022 22:15
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Large project will no longer open in FH

Mike, yes I know Julia can only open it in Gedcom mode now.  But I'm assuming that until the day before this problem started she was using it in Project mode, and it would have created some snapshots then.   So she may still be able to get at those snapshots via More Tasks in the project window.   (Or find the snapshots folder in the Project .fh_data folder using Windows Explorer)

On 24/08/2022 21:03, Mike Tate wrote:

Julia says it is open in standalone GEDCOM mode.

So the Snapshot feature and Project Full Backups won’t work.

See my earlier reference to Understanding Projects that explains what won’t work if it is not a Project.

 

Tomorrow I will try and advise how to fix the broken master Project.

 

Please confirm that your other Projects do have Snapshots and allow Project Full Backups.

 

Also, FH V7.0.14 has problems and you should update to V7.0.15.

 

BTW: When trying to resolve major problems it is unwise to make significant changes without asking first in case it makes it worse.

 


Re: Large project will no longer open in FH

Lorna Craig
 

Mike, yes I know Julia can only open it in Gedcom mode now.  But I'm assuming that until the day before this problem started she was using it in Project mode, and it would have created some snapshots then.   So she may still be able to get at those snapshots via More Tasks in the project window.   (Or find the snapshots folder in the Project .fh_data folder using Windows Explorer)

On 24/08/2022 21:03, Mike Tate wrote:

Julia says it is open in standalone GEDCOM mode.

So the Snapshot feature and Project Full Backups won’t work.

See my earlier reference to Understanding Projects that explains what won’t work if it is not a Project.

 

Tomorrow I will try and advise how to fix the broken master Project.

 

Please confirm that your other Projects do have Snapshots and allow Project Full Backups.

 

Also, FH V7.0.14 has problems and you should update to V7.0.15.

 

BTW: When trying to resolve major problems it is unwise to make significant changes without asking first in case it makes it worse.



Re: Large project will no longer open in FH

Mike Tate
 

Julia says it is open in standalone GEDCOM mode.

So the Snapshot feature and Project Full Backups won’t work.

See my earlier reference to Understanding Projects that explains what won’t work if it is not a Project.

 

Tomorrow I will try and advise how to fix the broken master Project.

 

Please confirm that your other Projects do have Snapshots and allow Project Full Backups.

 

Also, FH V7.0.14 has problems and you should update to V7.0.15.

 

BTW: When trying to resolve major problems it is unwise to make significant changes without asking first in case it makes it worse.

 

Mike Tate

 


Re: Large project will no longer open in FH

Lorna Craig
 

Julia,

If you look at the Project window (which I assume you can get to because you are able to open your other projects) then select your main 'problem' project and click More Tasks > Manage Snapshots does that work? can you then see a list of snapshots for the project?

On 24/08/2022 18:47, Julia Riley wrote:

I have now enabled the back-up on closing the file to my hard drive and I also have a standalone hard drive that I use for monthly back-ups of everything on my computer hard drive. So I do have a version of my master file from July (note to self: must do August back-up!).

I am running the most up to date version, v7.0.14.1, but no snapshots are visible for my master file - the option is greyed out.. I guess that's because I have it open in Gedcom mode? I still can't open it in the usual way, only via the Gedcom mode. Mike, any advice on fixing that issue? The other projects I have are all fine, open normally and have the Restore from Snapshot option available. 

thanks for all the help?
_