Date   

Re: New laptop and upgrading to v7

Mike Tate
 

Jackson,

I would be surprised if the Plugin produced a massive GEDCOM file (unless there were some very unusual/invalid data in the Project).

However, it can produce a lot of Media files to cope with head & shoulder face frames or similar ‘cut-outs’ in image files.

There are several options to work-around that, such as excluding Media altogether.

 

Standard GEDCOM does not support narrative sentences at all, not even for the standard facts.

That is why Fact Sets are needed for both standard facts and custom facts and are only applicable to FH.

There is a special case for GedSite that does handle most features of FH Fact Sets that can be included in the GEDCOM using a special extension created by the Export Gedcom File plugin.

 

The plugin has dedicated settings and many options for most of the popular destination products as explained in its Help & Advice pages.

If you need help to achieve any particular objective then please ask.

 

Mike

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Vyger
Sent: 30 June 2022 18:06
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] New laptop and upgrading to v7

 

Mike,

 

I must return to that Plugin, I tried it once and it created a massive file from memory. For my purposes I was just massaging the Gedcom file to make compatible with success.

 

Customised sentences were always a problem in Gedcom, I'm not knowledgeable enough of the standard to know the support. However for simple purposes of sharing the connections of one's research with others it should be adequate.

 

On a side line I often share very restricted trees as this often promotes further valuable discussion and comparisons 😁 I especially do this with Ancestry as I'm not donating 25 years of research to them but I do like to wet people's curiosity.

 

Jackson

 


Re: New laptop and upgrading to v7

Vyger
 

Mike,

I must return to that Plugin, I tried it once and it created a massive file from memory. For my purposes I was just massaging the Gedcom file to make compatible with success.

Customised sentences were always a problem in Gedcom, I'm not knowledgeable enough of the standard to know the support. However for simple purposes of sharing the connections of one's research with others it should be adequate.

On a side line I often share very restricted trees as this often promotes further valuable discussion and comparisons 😁 I especially do this with Ancestry as I'm not donating 25 years of research to them but I do like to wet people's curiosity.

Jackson


On Thu, 30 Jun 2022, 15:33 Mike Tate, <post@...> wrote:

Jackson,

If you know what product your friends and family use then the Export Gedcom File plugin will produce a tailored GEDCOM for them.

As you say there are plenty of suitable free products not just for Windows but other devices too.

 

An FH Project Backup is simply a standard compressed ZIP file under another name.

It can be extracted to obtain the GEDCOM file and associated Media that can be imported into many other products and not just FH.

 

One potential ‘snag’ is customised facts & witnesses that need the Fact Set definitions for them to be displayed correctly.

That does need FH and the accompanying customised settings files.

 

Mike Tate

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Vyger
Sent: 30 June 2022 15:16
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] New laptop and upgrading to v7

 

Frank,

 

Export a Gedcom file periodically and email to your friends and family, images are not contained within a Gedcom, just file links so the files are relatively small.

 

Advantages are they can import into a program of their choice, there are many free restricted options out there. Yes there will be some losses in detail but the structure of the families will be remain intact for the receiving parties.

 

I have FH7 on desktop and laptop, I would so miss the opportunity to also have FH on the laptop so thankfully that is permitted. Backup (or Gedcom export) to Dropbox is another option where a shared folder with friends could also be a route to sharing FH data. Your friends/family would need to have a licenced copy of FH to restore an FH backup but could import a Gedcom to any program.

 

Hope this helps,

 

Jackson

 


Re: New laptop and upgrading to v7

Mike Tate
 

Jackson,

If you know what product your friends and family use then the Export Gedcom File plugin will produce a tailored GEDCOM for them.

As you say there are plenty of suitable free products not just for Windows but other devices too.

 

An FH Project Backup is simply a standard compressed ZIP file under another name.

It can be extracted to obtain the GEDCOM file and associated Media that can be imported into many other products and not just FH.

 

One potential ‘snag’ is customised facts & witnesses that need the Fact Set definitions for them to be displayed correctly.

That does need FH and the accompanying customised settings files.

 

Mike Tate

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Vyger
Sent: 30 June 2022 15:16
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] New laptop and upgrading to v7

 

Frank,

 

Export a Gedcom file periodically and email to your friends and family, images are not contained within a Gedcom, just file links so the files are relatively small.

 

Advantages are they can import into a program of their choice, there are many free restricted options out there. Yes there will be some losses in detail but the structure of the families will be remain intact for the receiving parties.

 

I have FH7 on desktop and laptop, I would so miss the opportunity to also have FH on the laptop so thankfully that is permitted. Backup (or Gedcom export) to Dropbox is another option where a shared folder with friends could also be a route to sharing FH data. Your friends/family would need to have a licenced copy of FH to restore an FH backup but could import a Gedcom to any program.

 

Hope this helps,

 

Jackson

 


Re: New laptop and upgrading to v7

Vyger
 

Frank,

Export a Gedcom file periodically and email to your friends and family, images are not contained within a Gedcom, just file links so the files are relatively small.

Advantages are they can import into a program of their choice, there are many free restricted options out there. Yes there will be some losses in detail but the structure of the families will be remain intact for the receiving parties.

I have FH7 on desktop and laptop, I would so miss the opportunity to also have FH on the laptop so thankfully that is permitted. Backup (or Gedcom export) to Dropbox is another option where a shared folder with friends could also be a route to sharing FH data. Your friends/family would need to have a licenced copy of FH to restore an FH backup but could import a Gedcom to any program.

Hope this helps,

Jackson


On Thu, 30 Jun 2022, 14:29 Frank Jenkins, <franktjenkins@...> wrote:
Mike
Super, thank you.
Very helpful indeed
Frank

On Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 10:56 AM Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Hi Frank,

As with most purchased software, there are licence terms & conditions.

For example, you no doubt know that most Microsoft products are restricted to the devices they are allowed to be installed on.

Calico Pie have always limited personal use of FH to two devices. Prior to FH V7 that was largely on trust.

Installation required a licence key that users habitually had forgotten when needing to reinstall FH.

So FH V7 has a new online licencing account system that manages the copies installed.

See the installation guide at https://www.family-historian.co.uk/install7

 

If you check your FH V7 purchase order Email it will say something like:

“Licence is non-transferable, perpetual.  Permits up to two simultaneous device installations for personal use.

Subject to the terms of the End User Licence Agreement which is displayed when you install the software.

Please keep a copy of this email for your records. You may need the information contained in it in the future.”

 

The End User Licence Agreement is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Family Historian\Program\Licence.txt

It can also be found online at https://www.family-historian.co.uk/licence-agreements

An important restriction is the underlined section below:

“Unless your licence explicitly specifies otherwise, it is for personal use only, which means that an additional condition for installing or activating the Software on more than one device (if permitted at all) is that all such devices must be owned, kept and used by you, and no more than one person may use the Software at any one time.”

 

So that imposes limits on the use of FH by other members of your family, especially if you do not own & keep all the devices and more than one person wants to use FH at the same time. In that case, they will have to purchase their own licenced copies of FH.

 

However, there are other ways of sharing your family history research that may not require FH.

I assume that your other family members are not actually performing any research but just want to see your Project database.

In that case, you can send Diagrams &/or Reports in PDF format, or your Project can be put online for free in Ancestry, FindMyPast, ZoomPast, etc.

 

BTW: You do not need to install a second copy of the FH program to maintain backup copies of your Project, etc.

 

There is advice on all the above topics in the FHUG Knowledge Base at https://fhug.org.uk/kb/

 

Regards, Mike Tate

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Frank Jenkins
Sent: 30 June 2022 08:28
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] New laptop and upgrading to v7

 

Mike

I was really interested to read your reply to Liz about the use of the license for FH being restricted to just 2 laptops. I am fairly new to FH and have set it up on two home PC's as an extra backup copy. It had been my intention to share my FH research with other members of my own family. Is this not possible? Can I buy extra license copies or is there another way around this?

Many thanks

Frank


Re: New laptop and upgrading to v7

Frank Jenkins
 

Mike
Super, thank you.
Very helpful indeed
Frank


On Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 10:56 AM Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Hi Frank,

As with most purchased software, there are licence terms & conditions.

For example, you no doubt know that most Microsoft products are restricted to the devices they are allowed to be installed on.

Calico Pie have always limited personal use of FH to two devices. Prior to FH V7 that was largely on trust.

Installation required a licence key that users habitually had forgotten when needing to reinstall FH.

So FH V7 has a new online licencing account system that manages the copies installed.

See the installation guide at https://www.family-historian.co.uk/install7

 

If you check your FH V7 purchase order Email it will say something like:

“Licence is non-transferable, perpetual.  Permits up to two simultaneous device installations for personal use.

Subject to the terms of the End User Licence Agreement which is displayed when you install the software.

Please keep a copy of this email for your records. You may need the information contained in it in the future.”

 

The End User Licence Agreement is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Family Historian\Program\Licence.txt

It can also be found online at https://www.family-historian.co.uk/licence-agreements

An important restriction is the underlined section below:

“Unless your licence explicitly specifies otherwise, it is for personal use only, which means that an additional condition for installing or activating the Software on more than one device (if permitted at all) is that all such devices must be owned, kept and used by you, and no more than one person may use the Software at any one time.”

 

So that imposes limits on the use of FH by other members of your family, especially if you do not own & keep all the devices and more than one person wants to use FH at the same time. In that case, they will have to purchase their own licenced copies of FH.

 

However, there are other ways of sharing your family history research that may not require FH.

I assume that your other family members are not actually performing any research but just want to see your Project database.

In that case, you can send Diagrams &/or Reports in PDF format, or your Project can be put online for free in Ancestry, FindMyPast, ZoomPast, etc.

 

BTW: You do not need to install a second copy of the FH program to maintain backup copies of your Project, etc.

 

There is advice on all the above topics in the FHUG Knowledge Base at https://fhug.org.uk/kb/

 

Regards, Mike Tate

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Frank Jenkins
Sent: 30 June 2022 08:28
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] New laptop and upgrading to v7

 

Mike

I was really interested to read your reply to Liz about the use of the license for FH being restricted to just 2 laptops. I am fairly new to FH and have set it up on two home PC's as an extra backup copy. It had been my intention to share my FH research with other members of my own family. Is this not possible? Can I buy extra license copies or is there another way around this?

Many thanks

Frank


Re: New laptop and upgrading to v7

Mike Tate
 

Hi Frank,

As with most purchased software, there are licence terms & conditions.

For example, you no doubt know that most Microsoft products are restricted to the devices they are allowed to be installed on.

Calico Pie have always limited personal use of FH to two devices. Prior to FH V7 that was largely on trust.

Installation required a licence key that users habitually had forgotten when needing to reinstall FH.

So FH V7 has a new online licencing account system that manages the copies installed.

See the installation guide at https://www.family-historian.co.uk/install7

 

If you check your FH V7 purchase order Email it will say something like:

“Licence is non-transferable, perpetual.  Permits up to two simultaneous device installations for personal use.

Subject to the terms of the End User Licence Agreement which is displayed when you install the software.

Please keep a copy of this email for your records. You may need the information contained in it in the future.”

 

The End User Licence Agreement is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Family Historian\Program\Licence.txt

It can also be found online at https://www.family-historian.co.uk/licence-agreements

An important restriction is the underlined section below:

“Unless your licence explicitly specifies otherwise, it is for personal use only, which means that an additional condition for installing or activating the Software on more than one device (if permitted at all) is that all such devices must be owned, kept and used by you, and no more than one person may use the Software at any one time.”

 

So that imposes limits on the use of FH by other members of your family, especially if you do not own & keep all the devices and more than one person wants to use FH at the same time. In that case, they will have to purchase their own licenced copies of FH.

 

However, there are other ways of sharing your family history research that may not require FH.

I assume that your other family members are not actually performing any research but just want to see your Project database.

In that case, you can send Diagrams &/or Reports in PDF format, or your Project can be put online for free in Ancestry, FindMyPast, ZoomPast, etc.

 

BTW: You do not need to install a second copy of the FH program to maintain backup copies of your Project, etc.

 

There is advice on all the above topics in the FHUG Knowledge Base at https://fhug.org.uk/kb/

 

Regards, Mike Tate

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Frank Jenkins
Sent: 30 June 2022 08:28
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] New laptop and upgrading to v7

 

Mike

I was really interested to read your reply to Liz about the use of the license for FH being restricted to just 2 laptops. I am fairly new to FH and have set it up on two home PC's as an extra backup copy. It had been my intention to share my FH research with other members of my own family. Is this not possible? Can I buy extra license copies or is there another way around this?

Many thanks

Frank


Re: New laptop and upgrading to v7

Frank Jenkins
 

Mike
I was really interested to read your reply to Liz about the use of the license for FH being restricted to just 2 laptops. I am fairly new to FH and have set it up on two home PC's as an extra backup copy. It had been my intention to share my FH research with other members of my own family. Is this not possible? Can I buy extra license copies or is there another way around this?
Many thanks
Frank


Re: Merging

Robert Bard <rhbard@...>
 

Thank you for the assistance.

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike Tate
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2022 12:54 PM
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Merging

 

Hi Robert,

I think you are over-complicating things.

Here are two simpler methods:

 

1) Use File > Project Window > More Tasks > Copy Project and in the copy delete whatever Individual records are not required.

The File > Split Tree Helper… command can then be used to delete other types of records with no links to them.

 

2) Put all the Individual records to form the new Project into a Named List.

Use File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File and Select… the members of that Named List.

Use File > Project Window > New Project… > Import a GEDCOM file to create the new Project.

 

Set your cousin as the File Root.

 


1911 Ireland Census

Jim Stothers
 

I am trying to add a Source from the 1911 Ireland Census.

When I go to Add text to Source I get options like Canada, UK and USA.

I click on UK and then 1911 UK Census. But the text isn't correct. It give me the form that was used in England and Wales, not Ireland.

I make sure to select Ireland as the region and 1911 as the year in the Citation Tab,

What I don't understand is that I have ben able to select the Ireland Census form before but not now.

I use FH 7.0.11

Thomas (Jim) Stothers


Re: Merging

Mike Tate
 

Hi Robert,

I think you are over-complicating things.

Here are two simpler methods:

 

1) Use File > Project Window > More Tasks > Copy Project and in the copy delete whatever Individual records are not required.

The File > Split Tree Helper… command can then be used to delete other types of records with no links to them.

 

2) Put all the Individual records to form the new Project into a Named List.

Use File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File and Select… the members of that Named List.

Use File > Project Window > New Project… > Import a GEDCOM file to create the new Project.

 

Set your cousin as the File Root.

 


Merging

Robert Bard <rhbard@...>
 

I have a cousin listed under my root project in which I have entered several of his ancestors.  Is it possible to create a new/additional project in Family Historian with my cousin being a new root and then merge him and his ancestors, keeping our joint ancestors in my project, to this new project?  It would save me re-entering everyone and then I can delete the unrelated ancestors from my project.  Thank you for your assistance.


Re: New laptop and upgrading to v7

liz_graydon
 

On Saturday, 25 June 2022, 15:18:06 BST, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:


Hi Liz,

I assume that you are going to stop using your old laptop with FH after the migration.

In that case, I suggest you perform the migration with FH V6 first.

You are familiar with its settings so it will be easier to check the migration has gone well.

See the FHUG Knowledge Base ‘Family Historian Copy and Migration Guide’:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/family-historian-copy-and-migration-guide/

Note that FH Project Backups do NOT include your custom settings.

 

Also, FH V7 is strict about the machines it is licenced/installed on.

If you install FH V7 on the old laptop and again on the new laptop you will have used the 2 licences.

Whenever you need to install FH V7 on another laptop in the future it would be more complicated.

 

Regards, Mike Tate


Re: New laptop and upgrading to v7

Mike Tate
 

Hi Liz,

I assume that you are going to stop using your old laptop with FH after the migration.

In that case, I suggest you perform the migration with FH V6 first.

You are familiar with its settings so it will be easier to check the migration has gone well.

See the FHUG Knowledge Base ‘Family Historian Copy and Migration Guide’:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/family-historian-copy-and-migration-guide/

Note that FH Project Backups do NOT include your custom settings.

 

Also, FH V7 is strict about the machines it is licenced/installed on.

If you install FH V7 on the old laptop and again on the new laptop you will have used the 2 licences.

Whenever you need to install FH V7 on another laptop in the future it would be more complicated.

 

Regards, Mike Tate


New laptop and upgrading to v7

liz_graydon
 

Is if best to upgrade to v7 on my old laptop and make sure it works there first or is it better to put v6 on the new laptop with my existing settings, import my data and then update.  
Thank you 

Liz


Re: First post ....

Adrian Bruce
 


Imagine if every country respected the endonyms instead of us imposing made up names

Names like "Germany" have been around for centuries and are no more made up than any name in any language is made up. The tricky part with "Germany" - or "Deutschland" - is knowing when to use it and just what it means at any given point in time and that's nothing to do with the language.

It doesn't seem sensible if, by using an endonym from a language that I know nothing of, I create confusion. For instance, should I be using "Bhārata" instead of "India"? That's hardly meaningful to my relatives. Or should it be "Hindustān"? Or another name from the other languages of the "Subcontinent"? And is one of those names liable to upset people from what is now Pakistan or BanglaDesh? I'd rather be neutral and use the English term.

If the world turns against exonyms, then I'm happy to follow the language, but it has to be that way round - the prescriptive approach doesn't work, which is why we still have split infinitives.

Adrian



Re: First post ....

Chris
 

The demonym "Finland" appears on Finnish stamps etc. not to make life easier for English-speakers, but to acknowledge the 10% or so of the Finnish population whose first language is Swedish 


Re: Flag

waltonnz
 

Thank you for responding Mike. This has nothing to do with DNA. As you said I meant anyone directly linked to me - therefore excluding spouses. 

Jackson has been a lot of help. I think I was going about it the wrong way. He's supplied me with an expression that works. I had merely added a flag with a droplet icon to my direct relatives and was trying to have it automatically update as I added more direct relatives. Of course it didn't work. I need to undo what I have done and use Jackson's method.

I do have a few proven DNA connections which I have managed to flag with the coloured DNA icons - a different colour for each grandparent. I can update these manually as they are few and far between.

Thank you so much for your interest.
Patricia

On Thu, 23 Jun 2022 at 20:47, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Patricia,

What exactly do you mean by ‘blood relatives’?

 

Do you mean anyone who is directly linked to you as an ancestor or descendant in your Project database?

I guess it excludes people only linked by marriage (and adoption & foster links).

This could be based on the =IsAncestorOf(…) and =IsDescendantOf(…) functions.

Or perhaps one of the =Dna…(…) functions which take note of adoption & foster links.

 

Alternatively, do you mean only those people with proven DNA connections?

This would test the existence of appropriate custom DNA facts.

 

Mike Tate

_,_


Re: Flag

Mike Tate
 

Patricia,

What exactly do you mean by ‘blood relatives’?

 

Do you mean anyone who is directly linked to you as an ancestor or descendant in your Project database?

I guess it excludes people only linked by marriage (and adoption & foster links).

This could be based on the =IsAncestorOf(…) and =IsDescendantOf(…) functions.

Or perhaps one of the =Dna…(…) functions which take note of adoption & foster links.

 

Alternatively, do you mean only those people with proven DNA connections?

This would test the existence of appropriate custom DNA facts.

 

Mike Tate

_,_


Re: First post ....

unkatat@...
 

If your ancestors name was Herr Arnold Schumacher you wouldn't translate it to Mr Arnold Shoemaker so why "translate" the town and country of perhaps his birth.  Practically every nation refers to one of the Scandinavian countries as "Finland" except the people who live there. They call it  "Soumi". Finland is not an English translation of Soumi. 
Imagine if every country respected the endonyms instead of us imposing made up names that only exist out side of those countries. Maps are available. I have one . It's very educational.      


Re: Flag

waltonnz
 

Thank you. I shall look forward to further instruction.
Patricia

On Thu, 23 Jun 2022 at 06:39, Vyger <vyger88@...> wrote:

Hi Patricia,

 

I started producing the video but friends have arrived and I believe others could also benefit from the further instruction.

 

If I don’t publish it tonight I will do so tomorrow morning and email you a link once done. In the meantime keep a copy of the two expressions below, these are basically like computer speak and they just tell Family Historian when to display the little blood drop icon.

 

Blood connections for selected person

=DnaBloodRelation(%CUR_DGM_ROOT%,%INDI%)

 

 

Blood connection to File Root person

=DnaBloodRelation(FileRoot(),%INDI%)

 

If you are like me you or someone close to you will be the File Root, you can do this by right clicking and selecting the person you want as File Root on the Focus window, right clicking on them and choosing Make File Root. Using the second expression above will then base all the blood relative calculations from that Root person.

 

Take care and will email you the link once I publish the video.

 

Jackson

 

From: family-historian@groups.io [mailto:family-historian@groups.io] On Behalf Of waltonnz
Sent: 22 June 2022 12:09
To: Family Historian <family-historian@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Flag

 

Thank you - much appreciated.

Patricia

 

On Wed, 22 Jun 2022 at 22:59, Vyger <vyger88@...> wrote:

Patricia,

 

On reflection I will publish a short step by step video that you can work through in your own time. I will send you the link to that video later, if you still need help just ask.

 

Jackson

 

 

On Wed, 22 Jun 2022, 11:44 waltonnz, <walton.patricia@...> wrote:

Thank you. I have done as you asked.

Patricia

 

On Wed, 22 Jun 2022 at 22:23, Vyger <vyger88@...> wrote:

My email is at the end of that video, send me an email and I will send you the instruction sheet I prepared. If you need further help then I am happy to walk you through what you need to do.

 

Regards

 

Jackson

 

On Wed, 22 Jun 2022, 11:12 waltonnz, <walton.patricia@...> wrote:

Thank you for your response. I had already seen all of that video and found it most enlightening. However, I couldn't understand how to achieve my aim. I've even read all I could find on the FH Knowledge base and I'm still confused. Hence my asking for help. I'm 87 years old and a bit slow so I need someone to give me step by step instructions.

Patricia

 

 

On Wed, 22 Jun 2022 at 21:38, Vyger <vyger88@...> wrote:

You need to insert an expression into Options > Boxes, look at the second half of my video below.

 

The expression can be copied from the built DNA diagrams and of course calculate to Root.

 

 

Jackson

 

On Wed, 22 Jun 2022, 05:58 waltonnz, <walton.patricia@...> wrote:

I've set up a flag on my diagrams to show blood relatives - with a blood drop icon below the box. What I want to achieve is that when I add an individual to my database, if they are a blood relative, I would like the diagram to automatically update. I've search everywhere and tried everything but can't make it happen. Could one of you FH experts out there point me in the right direction. I've got as far as choosing Options from the diagram menu - boxes - Record Flag, Blood Relative Tab. Under Features it shows my blood drop icon. Then I tried Add Condition - Expression - Insert Data Reference. But, I can't find one that works. What am I doing wrong?

Patricia

481 - 500 of 5675