Date   

Re: Non use of default browser but uses microsoft browser

Neil Grantham
 

It was just an observation.

Unless you change your default browser as Mike directed you, this will always happen, as there is a big difference between 'preferred' and 'default'

The former is what you choose to browse with and the latter what will open from plugins, links etc. as that's what Windows knows to use until you change it.

Your annoyance would be compounded if you worked for the NHS as many online applications they use are coded to work with Edge, so the option to change default is disabled!!


Best Wishes

Neil

Sent via BT Email App


From: Derek Kain
Sent: Jan 11, 2022 at 6:11 PM
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Non use of default browser but uses microsoft browser

Hello Neil,
What was annoying me was that I had Google Chrome open as usual along with  Family History and FindMyPast open in chrome.
Then I ran a plugin which decided to use Edge. Meaning I now have two browsers open and have to jump between the two.
It may not have annoyed you but it does me when it is doing it with other plugins and other programs.
I'm not  interested in whether they both use the same browser code, just the annoyance of Microsoft Edge sticking its nose in when I never asked it to.
But it has now got sorted out and I'm happy.
Derek Kain

On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 at 15:41, Neil Grantham via groups.io <neil40=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
As an aside, don't know what is annoying you about Edge, Derek, but it is interesting to note that both Edge and Chrome, are build on the same Chromium browser code.
--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow, Birchall.



--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow, Birchall.


Re: Non use of default browser but uses microsoft browser

Derek Kain
 

Hello Neil,
What was annoying me was that I had Google Chrome open as usual along with  Family History and FindMyPast open in chrome.
Then I ran a plugin which decided to use Edge. Meaning I now have two browsers open and have to jump between the two.
It may not have annoyed you but it does me when it is doing it with other plugins and other programs.
I'm not  interested in whether they both use the same browser code, just the annoyance of Microsoft Edge sticking its nose in when I never asked it to.
But it has now got sorted out and I'm happy.
Derek Kain

On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 at 15:41, Neil Grantham via groups.io <neil40=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
As an aside, don't know what is annoying you about Edge, Derek, but it is interesting to note that both Edge and Chrome, are build on the same Chromium browser code.
--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow, Birchall.


Re: adding individual to census record

Lorna Craig
 

Jane, In your screenshot the Note Window is quite small so you are not seeing the full toolbar.  If you expand the width of that small window more icons at the top will be revealed.....

 

From: Jane JAMES
Sent: 11 January 2022 15:59
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] adding individual to census record

 

Mike/Lorna

 

Thank you for your help. I have achieved what I wanted but I am puzzled that I cannot see the toolbar you refer to.

 


Re: adding individual to census record

Jane JAMES
 

Mike/Lorna

Thank you for your help. I have achieved what I wanted but I am puzzled that I cannot see the toolbar you refer to. This is what I see:
image.png
Thanks again
Jane


Re: Non use of default browser but uses microsoft browser

Neil Grantham
 

As an aside, don't know what is annoying you about Edge, Derek, but it is interesting to note that both Edge and Chrome, are build on the same Chromium browser code.
--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow, Birchall.


Re: Adding a watermark to a chart

Lorna Craig
 

According to the FH Help files, you create a ‘watermark’ by using the Format Diagram Items option. (Right-click on the image in the diagram to get a short menu, the last is ‘Format’.)  To quote from the Help file:

“If you want a picture to appear faded (like a watermark), use the 'Fade Image' field. A value of 0% means that the image is not faded at all. A value of 100% means that the image will be near invisible.

Remember you can order any diagram item, so you can move a picture behind all other diagram items if you wish.”

However a ‘faded’ image still obscures other diagram elements if it is in front, so you need to move it behind.

I admit I haven’t experimented with transparent areas.  I know that FH has particular rules when using bmp files for diagram icons, (“Whatever colour appears in the top-left hand corner of the bitmap will be interpreted by Family Historian as transparent. So, for example, if the top-left corner is white, every white pixel in your bitmap will appear to be transparent”) but I don’t think the same applies to large images.

Lorna

 

 

From: Paul Manning
Sent: 11 January 2022 13:59
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Adding a watermark to a chart

 

I would like to add a watermark to a chart.  It looks as if it should be possible as there is a Watermark tab in the Properties section in Print Setup...

However, it doesn't like my PNG file and insists on adding black to the transparent area, which as I want the watermark in the foreground, makes the chart completely undreadable.

Am I doing something wrong?

Paul

 


Adding a watermark to a chart

Paul Manning
 

I would like to add a watermark to a chart.  It looks as if it should be possible as there is a Watermark tab in the Properties section in Print Setup...

However, it doesn't like my PNG file and insists on adding black to the transparent area, which as I want the watermark in the foreground, makes the chart completely undreadable.

Am I doing something wrong?

Paul


Re: Non use of default browser but uses microsoft browser

Derek Kain
 

Hello Mike,
Success. The records are showing in Google Chrome. The solution was the Default apps list. Changed every app that used Edge to Chrome.
Now I can get on with my genealogy.
Thank you again for your persistent help.
Will make a big note of this one and check it out regularly.
As you have said Microsoft has a tendency to try to overpower the user?
Derek Kain

On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 at 12:47, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

OK,

Despite that setting, it is still possible for Microsoft Edge to be the default for specific file types such as .html that the Plugin uses.

 

At the very bottom of the list in your screenshot, there is an option to ‘Choose default applications by file type’.

Click that and wait for the list to populate, then scroll down to .html HTML Document where I suspect Microsoft Edge is listed.

Please confirm that is what you find so we know the cause of the problem. Click that and change it to Google Chrome.

 

Alternatively, back in the Default apps list, click on ‘Web browser’ Google Chrome and choose Google Chrome again.

That should reset all the appropriate applications by file type to use Google Chrome instead of Microsoft Edge.

 

You may need to repeat that reset from time to time.

 

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Derek Kain
Sent: 11 January 2022 11:32
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Non use of default browser but uses microsoft browser

 

Hello Mike,

Yes, I still set the default browser  Google Chrome.

 

I appreciate all your help but it's certainly baffling me. Also causing me some irritation. Have looked at Microsoft help but that mainly refers to something about Office 365? Cannot find the help I need.

Derek Kain


Re: Non use of default browser but uses microsoft browser

Mike Tate
 

OK,

Despite that setting, it is still possible for Microsoft Edge to be the default for specific file types such as .html that the Plugin uses.

 

At the very bottom of the list in your screenshot, there is an option to ‘Choose default applications by file type’.

Click that and wait for the list to populate, then scroll down to .html HTML Document where I suspect Microsoft Edge is listed.

Please confirm that is what you find so we know the cause of the problem. Click that and change it to Google Chrome.

 

Alternatively, back in the Default apps list, click on ‘Web browser’ Google Chrome and choose Google Chrome again.

That should reset all the appropriate applications by file type to use Google Chrome instead of Microsoft Edge.

 

You may need to repeat that reset from time to time.

 

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Derek Kain
Sent: 11 January 2022 11:32
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Non use of default browser but uses microsoft browser

 

Hello Mike,

Yes, I still set the default browser  Google Chrome.

 

I appreciate all your help but it's certainly baffling me. Also causing me some irritation. Have looked at Microsoft help but that mainly refers to something about Office 365? Cannot find the help I need.

Derek Kain


Re: Occupation, how to force FH to display the preferred Occupation?

Lorna Craig
 

Joop,

It’s possible to do this manually but it’s only practical if a small number of individuals are involved.  You can prevent all the separate occupation facts appearing in narrative reports by using the option (in the Property Box) to Exclude Sentence.   Then create an occupation with a date range, citing the various sources which support it, and let the narrative sentence for that fact appear in reports. 

Lorna

 

From: j.van.beek@...
Sent: 11 January 2022 09:39
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Occupation, how to force FH to display the preferred Occupation?

 

What I would really like is a way to group secondary information (from a genealogical point of view as related to BMD) for narrative reports instead of having it scattered in between BMD information. Something like "her/his occupations were xx (from to), yy (from to)..." etc. The same goes for other secondary information (e.g. education, religion etc.). All the data is in FH; just need a report option to group it.

Joop

 


Re: Non use of default browser but uses microsoft browser

Derek Kain
 

Hello Mike,
Yes, I still set the default browser  Google Chrome.
image.png
I appreciate all your help but it's certainly baffling me. Also causing me some irritation. Have looked at Microsoft help but that mainly refers to something about Office 365? Cannot find the help I need.
Derek Kain

On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 at 10:22, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Sorry Derek, but although you say Google Chrome is your ‘preferred’ browser, I don’t think it is set as the Windows default browser.

You say that something is not set up correctly and cannot find out what. Well, I gave you the steps to find out.

Have you performed either of those steps I provided to check Google Chrome is the Windows default browser?

You may have set that in the past, but Windows Updates have a habit of resetting that to the Edge.

That is especially true with the recent changes to the Edge that Microsoft want you to use.

So please just follow the steps I have given and let me know how you get on.

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Derek Kain
Sent: 11 January 2022 09:18
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Non use of default browser but uses microsoft browser

 

Hello BillH and Mike,

Yes I do have Google Chrome set as my prefered browser.

I also should point out that I use two screens. Chrome is shown in the second screen.

Family Historian is used in the first main screen.

I click on the TOOLS menu then PLUGINS. Open 'Lookup Missing Census Facts' and get 

Then click on Lookup Missing Census Facts. A list of records appears and I select the person I want. Click on OK. Then I get 

Are the above snips of Microsoft Edge or not?

I don't think I'm doing anything wrong except that something is not set up correctly and I cannot find out what?

Derek Kain

 

On Mon, 10 Jan 2022 at 22:06, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Thanks, Bill.

I suspect Derek may be using Google Chrome by manually choosing to open it.

However, it is not set as the default browser as far as Windows is concerned.

 

With Google Chrome open, click the three vertical dots top right and then choose Settings.

In the Settings page choose Default browser on the left and then click Make default in the middle.

 

Alternatively, in Windows 10 use Start > Settings > Apps > Default apps

Scroll down to Web browser that probably has the Edge icon, then click on it and choose Google Chrome.

 

Now it should be your default browser instead of the Edge.


Re: Occupation, how to force FH to display the preferred Occupation?

Mike Tate
 

Yes, Lorna said so in her previous reply.

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Doug Byway
Sent: 11 January 2022 10:38
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Occupation, how to force FH to display the preferred Occupation?

 

Hello Lorna,

Does this only work in  FH V7?

I run V6.2.7 and the only options I have are Witnesses and Timeline Facts.

Regards Doug

 

_._,_


Re: Occupation, how to force FH to display the preferred Occupation?

Doug Byway
 

Hello Lorna,
Does this only work in  FH V7?
I run V6.2.7 and the only options I have are Witnesses and Timeline Facts.
Regards Doug

Sent from Outlook



From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> on behalf of Lorna Craig via groups.io <l.m.craig@...>
Sent: 10 January 2022 16:34
To: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Occupation, how to force FH to display the preferred Occupation?
 

Hi Helen,

 

In the Facts tab of the Individual’s Property box, select the preferred occupation and then click the cog wheel icon in the Facts tab toolbar.  Then select Fact Flags and set the Preferred flag on this fact.

 

Lorna

 

From: Helen Dignum via groups.io
Sent: 10 January 2022 15:51
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Occupation, how to force FH to display the preferred Occupation?

 

Many people have more than one occupation during their lives: Scholar, Apprentice Cooper, Cooper, Master Cooper, from censuses etc giving different facts at different times.

I want to make FH display the favoured (most representative of their life) occupation eg Cooper in the front page of the person and in a diagram.
I can do a workaround creating a new fact Occupation dated just after they are born to force it to be the earliest occupation fact.
I had hoped that an undated Occupation fact might have the same effect, but does not seem to.
Is there a better way?
Using FH7.0.9

 


Re: Non use of default browser but uses microsoft browser

Mike Tate
 

Sorry Derek, but although you say Google Chrome is your ‘preferred’ browser, I don’t think it is set as the Windows default browser.

You say that something is not set up correctly and cannot find out what. Well, I gave you the steps to find out.

Have you performed either of those steps I provided to check Google Chrome is the Windows default browser?

You may have set that in the past, but Windows Updates have a habit of resetting that to the Edge.

That is especially true with the recent changes to the Edge that Microsoft want you to use.

So please just follow the steps I have given and let me know how you get on.

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Derek Kain
Sent: 11 January 2022 09:18
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Non use of default browser but uses microsoft browser

 

Hello BillH and Mike,

Yes I do have Google Chrome set as my prefered browser.

I also should point out that I use two screens. Chrome is shown in the second screen.

Family Historian is used in the first main screen.

I click on the TOOLS menu then PLUGINS. Open 'Lookup Missing Census Facts' and get 

Then click on Lookup Missing Census Facts. A list of records appears and I select the person I want. Click on OK. Then I get 

Are the above snips of Microsoft Edge or not?

I don't think I'm doing anything wrong except that something is not set up correctly and I cannot find out what?

Derek Kain

 

On Mon, 10 Jan 2022 at 22:06, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Thanks, Bill.

I suspect Derek may be using Google Chrome by manually choosing to open it.

However, it is not set as the default browser as far as Windows is concerned.

 

With Google Chrome open, click the three vertical dots top right and then choose Settings.

In the Settings page choose Default browser on the left and then click Make default in the middle.

 

Alternatively, in Windows 10 use Start > Settings > Apps > Default apps

Scroll down to Web browser that probably has the Edge icon, then click on it and choose Google Chrome.

 

Now it should be your default browser instead of the Edge.


Re: Occupation, how to force FH to display the preferred Occupation?

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk
 

Sounds like a job for a report plugin?

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of j.van.beek@...
Sent: 11 January 2022 09:39
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Occupation, how to force FH to display the preferred Occupation?

 

What I would really like is a way to group secondary information (from a genealogical point of view as related to BMD) for narrative reports instead of having it scattered in between BMD information. Something like "her/his occupations were xx (from to), yy (from to)..." etc. The same goes for other secondary information (e.g. education, religion etc.). All the data is in FH; just need a report option to group it.

Joop

_._,_._,_


Re: Occupation, how to force FH to display the preferred Occupation?

@JoopvB
 

What I would really like is a way to group secondary information (from a genealogical point of view as related to BMD) for narrative reports instead of having it scattered in between BMD information. Something like "her/his occupations were xx (from to), yy (from to)..." etc. The same goes for other secondary information (e.g. education, religion etc.). All the data is in FH; just need a report option to group it.

Joop


Re: Non use of default browser but uses microsoft browser

Derek Kain
 

Hello BillH and Mike,
Yes I do have Google Chrome set as my prefered browser.
I also should point out that I use two screens. Chrome is shown in the second screen.
Family Historian is used in the first main screen.
I click on the TOOLS menu then PLUGINS. Open 'Lookup Missing Census Facts' and get 
image.png
Then click on Lookup Missing Census Facts. A list of records appears and I select the person I want. Click on OK. Then I get 
image.png
image.png
image.png
Are the above snips of Microsoft Edge or not?
I don't think I'm doing anything wrong except that something is not set up correctly and I cannot find out what?
Derek Kain

On Mon, 10 Jan 2022 at 22:06, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Thanks, Bill.

I suspect Derek may be using Google Chrome by manually choosing to open it.

However, it is not set as the default browser as far as Windows is concerned.

With Google Chrome open, click the three vertical dots top right and then choose Settings.

In the Settings page choose Default browser on the left and then click Make default in the middle.

 

Alternatively, in Windows 10 use Start > Settings > Apps > Default apps

Scroll down to Web browser that probably has the Edge icon, then click on it and choose Google Chrome.

 

Now it should be your default browser instead of the Edge.

 

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of BillH
Sent: 10 January 2022 21:20
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Non use of default browser but uses microsoft browser

 

I meant to say:

On the far right in Edge there are three dots (...) which are similar to the three vertical dots in Chrome.

Bill

On Mon Jan 10 2022 13:17:51 GMT-0800 (Pacific Standard Time) BillH via groups.io wrote:

Mike,

I think the original web page is actually opening in Microsoft Edge.  On the far right in Edge there are three dots (...) which are similar to the three horizontal dots in Chrome.  If you click on those three dots, there is an option to Close Microsoft Edge near the bottom of the drop down list.

Why the original web page is opening in Edge is a different matter.  If I understand correctly it should only open in Edge if that is the default browser, but Derek indicated that that isn't the case. 

Bill

On Mon Jan 10 2022 13:04:41 GMT-0800 (Pacific Standard Time) Mike Tate wrote:

I don’t understand where you are seeing the ‘…’ on the screen.

The plugin produces two types of report:

1) FH Result Set (similar to a Query Result Set) with column headings No., Individual, Rec Id, Life Dates, Gen. Gap, etc.

2) Browser page (Google Chrome) with column headings No., ancestry.co.uk, findmypast.co.uk, familysearch.org, myheritage.com, etc.

But neither of them have ‘…’ on the right so I don’t know what you are clicking.

Please give me some more clues of what else is on the screen and whether it is inside FH or some other application.


Re: Occupation, how to force FH to display the preferred Occupation?

waltonnz
 

Thank you Lorna. That will teach me to read all the information when a new version comes out. I really am delighted with this new feature.
Patricia

On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 at 11:11, Lorna Craig via groups.io <l.m.craig=ntlworld.com@groups.io> wrote:

Patricia, Fact flags are a new feature of FH version7, so it’s only been possible for just over a year!

 

From: waltonnz
Sent: 10 January 2022 22:06
To: Family Historian
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Occupation, how to force FH to display the preferred Occupation?

 

Thank you for asking that question Helen and thank you Lorna for the solution. I've been wanting to do this for many, many years, but never imagined it could be done. Brilliant - good old FH.

Patricia

 

On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 at 05:35, Lorna Craig via groups.io <l.m.craig=ntlworld.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Helen,

 

In the Facts tab of the Individual’s Property box, select the preferred occupation and then click the cog wheel icon in the Facts tab toolbar.  Then select Fact Flags and set the Preferred flag on this fact.

 

Lorna

 

From: Helen Dignum via groups.io
Sent: 10 January 2022 15:51
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Occupation, how to force FH to display the preferred Occupation?

 

Many people have more than one occupation during their lives: Scholar, Apprentice Cooper, Cooper, Master Cooper, from censuses etc giving different facts at different times.

I want to make FH display the favoured (most representative of their life) occupation eg Cooper in the front page of the person and in a diagram.

 


Re: Occupation, how to force FH to display the preferred Occupation?

Lorna Craig
 

Patricia, Fact flags are a new feature of FH version7, so it’s only been possible for just over a year!

 

From: waltonnz
Sent: 10 January 2022 22:06
To: Family Historian
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Occupation, how to force FH to display the preferred Occupation?

 

Thank you for asking that question Helen and thank you Lorna for the solution. I've been wanting to do this for many, many years, but never imagined it could be done. Brilliant - food old FH.

Patricia

 

On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 at 05:35, Lorna Craig via groups.io <l.m.craig=ntlworld.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Helen,

 

In the Facts tab of the Individual’s Property box, select the preferred occupation and then click the cog wheel icon in the Facts tab toolbar.  Then select Fact Flags and set the Preferred flag on this fact.

 

Lorna

 

From: Helen Dignum via groups.io
Sent: 10 January 2022 15:51
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Occupation, how to force FH to display the preferred Occupation?

 

Many people have more than one occupation during their lives: Scholar, Apprentice Cooper, Cooper, Master Cooper, from censuses etc giving different facts at different times.

I want to make FH display the favoured (most representative of their life) occupation eg Cooper in the front page of the person and in a diagram.

 


Re: Non use of default browser but uses microsoft browser

Mike Tate
 

Thanks, Bill.

I suspect Derek may be using Google Chrome by manually choosing to open it.

However, it is not set as the default browser as far as Windows is concerned.

With Google Chrome open, click the three vertical dots top right and then choose Settings.

In the Settings page choose Default browser on the left and then click Make default in the middle.

 

Alternatively, in Windows 10 use Start > Settings > Apps > Default apps

Scroll down to Web browser that probably has the Edge icon, then click on it and choose Google Chrome.

 

Now it should be your default browser instead of the Edge.

 

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of BillH
Sent: 10 January 2022 21:20
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Non use of default browser but uses microsoft browser

 

I meant to say:

On the far right in Edge there are three dots (...) which are similar to the three vertical dots in Chrome.

Bill

On Mon Jan 10 2022 13:17:51 GMT-0800 (Pacific Standard Time) BillH via groups.io wrote:

Mike,

I think the original web page is actually opening in Microsoft Edge.  On the far right in Edge there are three dots (...) which are similar to the three horizontal dots in Chrome.  If you click on those three dots, there is an option to Close Microsoft Edge near the bottom of the drop down list.

Why the original web page is opening in Edge is a different matter.  If I understand correctly it should only open in Edge if that is the default browser, but Derek indicated that that isn't the case. 

Bill

On Mon Jan 10 2022 13:04:41 GMT-0800 (Pacific Standard Time) Mike Tate wrote:

I don’t understand where you are seeing the ‘…’ on the screen.

The plugin produces two types of report:

1) FH Result Set (similar to a Query Result Set) with column headings No., Individual, Rec Id, Life Dates, Gen. Gap, etc.

2) Browser page (Google Chrome) with column headings No., ancestry.co.uk, findmypast.co.uk, familysearch.org, myheritage.com, etc.

But neither of them have ‘…’ on the right so I don’t know what you are clicking.

Please give me some more clues of what else is on the screen and whether it is inside FH or some other application.

1601 - 1620 of 6277