Date   

Code to Add tags to boxes in a chart

steve@...
 

I have been using FH for about two months. I have recently learned how to implement 'simple' tags.
My skill level is minimal, but I have entered an expression to highlight any box wherein the individual has had military experience.

I am somewhat new to genealogy, but have determined that sources for birth, marriage, kids, & death seem to be very important.
So to help me understand how valid my 'claim' for any particular heritage, I would like to display 3 different Tags for each box on a display:
Tag for #of sources for birth (when greater than zero)
Tag for #of sources for marriage (when greater than zero)
Tag for # of marriages (when greater than 1)

Can anyone provide the code to do the above?


Re: Census Expressions

Lorna Craig
 

 P.S. When you mentioned the Source Filter I assumed you were referring to the filter for the Source Titles.   But perhaps you were referring to the Record Type box?  (A Slightly confusing name because in FH Record Type means something else!).   The solution is still the same....


On 10/01/2022 11:34, Lorna Craig via groups.io wrote:

Neil,

In your earlier message you said that in AS you "....found the 29 people when unticking the Source Filter (8 found when ticked)".  So the problem definitely lies with the sources for the other 21 people.


The AS filter allows you to specify what the Source Title contains. It is the generic Source Type which matters for the purposes of the Expression in the diagram scheme, but I suspect that your Source Titles and Source Types are the same.   If you were filtering for Titles which contain 'Census' that would explain why it didn't find the ones containing '1939 Register' instead.    I suspect that if you look at those sources you will also find that their generic Source Type has been set to '1939 Register' (or perhaps they have no Type set at all).   


The solution is to change all the 1939 Source Types to 'Census' (this doesn't affect the Titles) or add another Expression to the diagram scheme, testing for the name of your 1939 Source types.


Lorna


On 10/01/2022 08:14, Neil Grantham via groups.io wrote:
Hi Lorna


Yes, for my 1939 column in Records and Flag in Diagrams I have =IsTrue(%INDI.CENS[year=1939].SOUR>_TYPE% = "Census")

If I run All Events query, and sort on the date column, all those for 29 Sep 1939 have event type Census


If I save that as a custom query and add a source column they are all listed with Register 1939 xxxx where xxxx is the name added by AS (I think?)


Best Wishes


Neil.



------ Original Message ------ From: "Lorna Craig via groups.io" <l.m.craig@...> To: "family-historian@groups.io" <family-historian@groups.io> Sent: Sunday, 9 Jan, 2022 At 23:26 Subject: Re: [family-historian] Census Expressions

(Sending this again because I realise I forgot to remove an ‘image’ of a line from the bottom of the reply first time, so it will be delayed. Apologies.)

Neil,

Are you sing the expression =IsTrue(%INDI.CENS[year=1939].SOUR>_TYPE% = "Census") ?

You have 29 people with a 1939 census Event but do they all have a Source type of ‘Census’?

Lorna

From: Neil Grantham via groups.io Sent: 09 January 2022 23:04 To: family-historian@groups.io Subject: Re: [family-historian] Census Expressions

Mike

Using All Event query and sorting on Event Type (presume you meant that as there isn't a Fact Type Column), I have 29 people with a 1939 'census event' but in the Records Window just 8. So, I presume that I hadn't got AS set correctly with the Flag options.

I used Flag Batch add in AS Tools and found the 29 people when unticking the Source Filter (8 found when ticked), then apply the 1939 Register Flag, but it's made no difference to the Record 'ticks' for the 1939 column or icons on my Diagrams

Best Wishes

Neil.



Re: Census Expressions

Lorna Craig
 

Neil,

In your earlier message you said that in AS you "....found the 29 people when unticking the Source Filter (8 found when ticked)".  So the problem definitely lies with the sources for the other 21 people.


The AS filter allows you to specify what the Source Title contains. It is the generic Source Type which matters for the purposes of the Expression in the diagram scheme, but I suspect that your Source Titles and Source Types are the same.   If you were filtering for Titles which contain 'Census' that would explain why it didn't find the ones containing '1939 Register' instead.    I suspect that if you look at those sources you will also find that their generic Source Type has been set to '1939 Register' (or perhaps they have no Type set at all).   


The solution is to change all the 1939 Source Types to 'Census' (this doesn't affect the Titles) or add another Expression to the diagram scheme, testing for the name of your 1939 Source types.


Lorna


On 10/01/2022 08:14, Neil Grantham via groups.io wrote:

Hi Lorna


Yes, for my 1939 column in Records and Flag in Diagrams I have =IsTrue(%INDI.CENS[year=1939].SOUR>_TYPE% = "Census")

If I run All Events query, and sort on the date column, all those for 29 Sep 1939 have event type Census


If I save that as a custom query and add a source column they are all listed with Register 1939 xxxx where xxxx is the name added by AS (I think?)


Best Wishes


Neil.



------ Original Message ------ From: "Lorna Craig via groups.io" <l.m.craig@...> To: "family-historian@groups.io" <family-historian@groups.io> Sent: Sunday, 9 Jan, 2022 At 23:26 Subject: Re: [family-historian] Census Expressions

(Sending this again because I realise I forgot to remove an ‘image’ of a line from the bottom of the reply first time, so it will be delayed. Apologies.)

Neil,

Are you sing the expression =IsTrue(%INDI.CENS[year=1939].SOUR>_TYPE% = "Census") ?

You have 29 people with a 1939 census Event but do they all have a Source type of ‘Census’?

Lorna

From: Neil Grantham via groups.io Sent: 09 January 2022 23:04 To: family-historian@groups.io Subject: Re: [family-historian] Census Expressions

Mike

Using All Event query and sorting on Event Type (presume you meant that as there isn't a Fact Type Column), I have 29 people with a 1939 'census event' but in the Records Window just 8. So, I presume that I hadn't got AS set correctly with the Flag options.

I used Flag Batch add in AS Tools and found the 29 people when unticking the Source Filter (8 found when ticked), then apply the 1939 Register Flag, but it's made no difference to the Record 'ticks' for the 1939 column or icons on my Diagrams

Best Wishes

Neil.



Re: Backup and Restore Plugin

Roger Oakes
 

It worked a treat - thank you, Mike.

Roger

On 07/01/2022 18:47, Mike Tate wrote:
Sorry, my mistake Roger,
The need for the md5 library module was only added recently.
Let me know if you have any difficulties.

-----Original Message-----
From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Roger Oakes via groups.io
Sent: 07 January 2022 17:33
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Backup and Restore Plugin

Thanks for that, Mike.

Although I can't remember what I did 3 years ago, I did follow whatever advice I received from this user group, and if I hadn't lost all my saved emails as well, I could look it up! I would have thought I used backup and restore, but the old PC is adamant that it hasn't got md5 and it certainly doesn't ring any bells.

Anyway, thanks again, and I hope I won't need to trouble you further.

Roger





Re: Census Expressions

Mike Tate
 

Neil,

Firstly, the Record Flags are not involved whatsoever, because you are using Expressions.

I advise you to delete all those Census 1841 to 1939 Flags and avoid any future confusion.

 

To reinforce what Lorna is saying, she is not talking about the Census Event itself (INDI.CENS).

She is talking about the associated Source Citation (INDI.CENS.SOUR>).

That Source Citation must exist against all 29 Census Events and be the first in the list.

So perhaps only 8 of them have such as Source Citation.

That linked Source Record must have its Generic Type set to “Census” as required by the _TYPE = “Census” part of your expression?

 

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Lorna Craig via groups.io
Sent: 09 January 2022 23:17
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Census Expressions

 

Neil,

Are you sing the expression =IsTrue(%INDI.CENS[year=1939].SOUR>_TYPE% = "Census") ?

You  have 29 people with a 1939 census Event but do they all have a Source type of ‘Census’?


Re: Census Expressions

Lorna Craig
 

Neil,

Are you sing the expression =IsTrue(%INDI.CENS[year=1939].SOUR>_TYPE% = "Census") ?

You  have 29 people with a 1939 census Event but do they all have a Source type of ‘Census’?

 

From: Neil Grantham via groups.io
Sent: 09 January 2022 23:04
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Census Expressions

 

Mike

 

Using All Event query and sorting on Event Type (presume you meant that as there isn't a Fact Type Column), I have 29 people with a 1939 'census event' but in the Records Window just 8. So, I presume that I hadn't got AS set correctly with the Flag options.

 

I used Flag Batch add in AS Tools and found the 29 people when unticking the Source Filter (8 found when ticked), then apply the 1939 Register Flag, but it's made no difference to the Record 'ticks' for the 1939 column or icons on my Diagrams

 

Best Wishes

 

Neil.






------ Original Message ------
From: "Mike Tate" <post@...>
To: family-historian@groups.io
Sent: Sunday, 9 Jan, 2022 At 22:07
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Census Expressions

AS does not add any ticks anywhere.

It adds Census Events with Source Citations and optionally Record Flags to FH.

Any ticks or Diagram Icons are governed by what you add to FH as I explained before.

I explained both Expressions like =IsTrue(%INDI.CENS[year=1939].SOUR>_TYPE% = "Census") and also Record Flags.

So exactly which have you used and where have you used them?

The easiest way to discover where Census Events are used is the All Events standard Query and sort on Fact Type.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Neil Grantham via groups.io
Sent: 09 January 2022 20:50
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Census Expressions

Thanks Mike

I should have explained more, as I have used exactly what you explained for Diagrams and Columns.

I was just baffled, after further investigation why AS would have added a tick for some people and not others.

I think I now need to investigate

a) Who I added 1939 records for up to now - my media sub folder shows 6 1939 images, while the Records window shows only 1 family.

b) How to use AS to rectify this

Can I have changed some setting in AS in order for only 1 of these to have allowed a flag and tick to appear? This is the confusing part as I use AS to add Census facts.

Best Wishes

Neil.





------ Original Message ------
From: "Mike Tate" <post@...>
To: family-historian@groups.io
Sent: Sunday, 9 Jan, 2022 At 20:34
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Census Expressions

Neil,

Most users employ the Census Event to record the 1939 Register because it is a ‘census’ albeit not a formal National Census.

That allows all the FH & AS census tools to be brought to bear because they are just as relevant to the 1039 Register.

See FHUG KB https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/recording-from-a-census-record/

I suspect you are mixing up Expressions and Record Flags and Diagram Box Icons and Record Window ticks.

You can use an Expression such as you posted =IsTrue(%INDI.CENS[year=1939].SOUR>_TYPE% = "Census") or =HasFlag(%INDI%,"Census1939")

If either is true then they will produce a tick in a Records Window column.

Similarly, in the Diagram > Options > Box tab Conditions, you can use an Expression or a Record Flag to display an Icon.

So whether an Icon for 1939 is shown on Diagrams depends on you having created a Box Condition.

If your other Census Icons have Box Conditions using such as =IsTrue(%INDI.CENS[year=1911].SOUR>_TYPE% = "Census") then do likewise for 1939.

In that case, you do not need any census Record Flags at all.

On the otherhand, if your Box Conditions employ Record Flag Conditions then do likewise for 1921 and 1939, etc.

Ancestral Sources has Census Flag tools for managing Record Flags if you need them to be retrospectively added to your Individuals for their Census years.

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Neil Grantham via groups.io
Sent: 09 January 2022 20:14
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Census Expressions

Actually just realised that the 1939 expression is working!

I just sorted on that column to find I have got ticks in it.

I use Ancestral Sources to add census facts, and just added my paternal grandparents 1921 census, so it shows the 1921 flag now, but not the 1939, where I do have 1939 facts. Pretty sure I used AS to add them for this event, so perhaps I missed setting something in AS at the time.

Can I now add that flag to the fact?

Best Wishes

Neil.


--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow, Birchall.


--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow, Birchall.

 


Re: Census Expressions

Neil Grantham
 

Hi Lorna


Yes, for my 1939 column in Records and Flag in Diagrams I have =IsTrue(%INDI.CENS[year=1939].SOUR>_TYPE% = "Census")

If I run All Events query, and sort on the date column, all those for 29 Sep 1939 have event type Census


If I save that as a custom query and add a source column they are all listed with Register 1939 xxxx where xxxx is the name added by AS (I think?)


Best Wishes


Neil.





------ Original Message ------
From: "Lorna Craig via groups.io" <l.m.craig@...>
To: "family-historian@groups.io" <family-historian@groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, 9 Jan, 2022 At 23:26
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Census Expressions

(Sending this again because I realise I forgot to remove an ‘image’ of a line from the bottom of the reply first time, so it will be delayed. Apologies.)

Neil,

Are you sing the expression =IsTrue(%INDI.CENS[year=1939].SOUR>_TYPE% = "Census") ?

You have 29 people with a 1939 census Event but do they all have a Source type of ‘Census’?

Lorna

From: Neil Grantham via groups.io
Sent: 09 January 2022 23:04
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Census Expressions

Mike

Using All Event query and sorting on Event Type (presume you meant that as there isn't a Fact Type Column), I have 29 people with a 1939 'census event' but in the Records Window just 8. So, I presume that I hadn't got AS set correctly with the Flag options.

I used Flag Batch add in AS Tools and found the 29 people when unticking the Source Filter (8 found when ticked), then apply the 1939 Register Flag, but it's made no difference to the Record 'ticks' for the 1939 column or icons on my Diagrams

Best Wishes

Neil.




--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow, Birchall.


Re: Descendant report - born again!

normanlorrain@...
 

You're right, I found the duplicates under the Facts tab in the properties box.  I'm curious how they appeared though.  Strange. Entries fixed.

This only happened for my own record, and that of my children.  I don't use this program often, maybe I entered them in myself somehow.

Thanks for the assist.


Re: Census Expressions

Lorna Craig
 

(Sending this again because I realise I forgot to remove an ‘image’ of a line from the bottom of the reply first time, so it will be delayed. Apologies.)

 

Neil,

Are you sing the expression =IsTrue(%INDI.CENS[year=1939].SOUR>_TYPE% = "Census") ? 

You  have 29 people with a 1939 census Event but do they all have a Source type of ‘Census’?

 

Lorna

 

From: Neil Grantham via groups.io
Sent: 09 January 2022 23:04
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Census Expressions

 

Mike

 

Using All Event query and sorting on Event Type (presume you meant that as there isn't a Fact Type Column), I have 29 people with a 1939 'census event' but in the Records Window just 8. So, I presume that I hadn't got AS set correctly with the Flag options.

 

I used Flag Batch add in AS Tools and found the 29 people when unticking the Source Filter (8 found when ticked), then apply the 1939 Register Flag, but it's made no difference to the Record 'ticks' for the 1939 column or icons on my Diagrams

 

Best Wishes

 

Neil.



 


Re: Census Expressions

Neil Grantham
 

Mike


Using All Event query and sorting on Event Type (presume you meant that as there isn't a Fact Type Column), I have 29 people with a 1939 'census event' but in the Records Window just 8. So, I presume that I hadn't got AS set correctly with the Flag options.


I used Flag Batch add in AS Tools and found the 29 people when unticking the Source Filter (8 found when ticked), then apply the 1939 Register Flag, but it's made no difference to the Record 'ticks' for the 1939 column or icons on my Diagrams


Best Wishes


Neil.





------ Original Message ------
From: "Mike Tate" <post@...>
To: family-historian@groups.io
Sent: Sunday, 9 Jan, 2022 At 22:07
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Census Expressions

AS does not add any ticks anywhere.

It adds Census Events with Source Citations and optionally Record Flags to FH.

Any ticks or Diagram Icons are governed by what you add to FH as I explained before.

I explained both Expressions like =IsTrue(%INDI.CENS[year=1939].SOUR>_TYPE% = "Census") and also Record Flags.

So exactly which have you used and where have you used them?

The easiest way to discover where Census Events are used is the All Events standard Query and sort on Fact Type.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Neil Grantham via groups.io
Sent: 09 January 2022 20:50
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Census Expressions

Thanks Mike

I should have explained more, as I have used exactly what you explained for Diagrams and Columns.

I was just baffled, after further investigation why AS would have added a tick for some people and not others.

I think I now need to investigate

a) Who I added 1939 records for up to now - my media sub folder shows 6 1939 images, while the Records window shows only 1 family.

b) How to use AS to rectify this

Can I have changed some setting in AS in order for only 1 of these to have allowed a flag and tick to appear? This is the confusing part as I use AS to add Census facts.

Best Wishes

Neil.






------ Original Message ------
From: "Mike Tate" <post@...>
To: family-historian@groups.io
Sent: Sunday, 9 Jan, 2022 At 20:34
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Census Expressions

Neil,

Most users employ the Census Event to record the 1939 Register because it is a ‘census’ albeit not a formal National Census.

That allows all the FH & AS census tools to be brought to bear because they are just as relevant to the 1039 Register.

See FHUG KB https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/recording-from-a-census-record/

I suspect you are mixing up Expressions and Record Flags and Diagram Box Icons and Record Window ticks.

You can use an Expression such as you posted =IsTrue(%INDI.CENS[year=1939].SOUR>_TYPE% = "Census") or =HasFlag(%INDI%,"Census1939")

If either is true then they will produce a tick in a Records Window column.

Similarly, in the Diagram > Options > Box tab Conditions, you can use an Expression or a Record Flag to display an Icon.

So whether an Icon for 1939 is shown on Diagrams depends on you having created a Box Condition.

If your other Census Icons have Box Conditions using such as =IsTrue(%INDI.CENS[year=1911].SOUR>_TYPE% = "Census") then do likewise for 1939.

In that case, you do not need any census Record Flags at all.

On the otherhand, if your Box Conditions employ Record Flag Conditions then do likewise for 1921 and 1939, etc.

Ancestral Sources has Census Flag tools for managing Record Flags if you need them to be retrospectively added to your Individuals for their Census years.

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Neil Grantham via groups.io
Sent: 09 January 2022 20:14
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Census Expressions

Actually just realised that the 1939 expression is working!

I just sorted on that column to find I have got ticks in it.

I use Ancestral Sources to add census facts, and just added my paternal grandparents 1921 census, so it shows the 1921 flag now, but not the 1939, where I do have 1939 facts. Pretty sure I used AS to add them for this event, so perhaps I missed setting something in AS at the time.

Can I now add that flag to the fact?

Best Wishes

Neil.


--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow, Birchall.


--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow, Birchall.


Re: Census Expressions

Neil Grantham
 

For the Records Window, I right clicked on the columns and select 'Configure Columns'


I added a Column for each Census with an expression such as =IsTrue(%INDI.CENS[year=1921].SOUR>_TYPE% = "Census") with the year relevant to the census year of course, so I have a column for 1841/51/61/71/81/91/01/11/21/39


For Diagrams, I went to Diagram>Options then the Box Tab, and added the same expressions with flag icons in the Edit Features button.


This is why, when I am sure that I added all the 1939 Registers (6 families) via AS, not all of them have 1939 'ticks' in the Records Window, and icons on diagrams.

You say AS "and optionally Record Flags to FH" - so is this where I have gone wrong?

I have just added in Tools>Flag Assignment a Flag for each census/register as it was empty.


Best Wishes


Neil.





------ Original Message ------
From: "Mike Tate" <post@...>
To: family-historian@groups.io
Sent: Sunday, 9 Jan, 2022 At 22:07
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Census Expressions

AS does not add any ticks anywhere.

It adds Census Events with Source Citations and optionally Record Flags to FH.

Any ticks or Diagram Icons are governed by what you add to FH as I explained before.

I explained both Expressions like =IsTrue(%INDI.CENS[year=1939].SOUR>_TYPE% = "Census") and also Record Flags.

So exactly which have you used and where have you used them?

The easiest way to discover where Census Events are used is the All Events standard Query and sort on Fact Type.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Neil Grantham via groups.io
Sent: 09 January 2022 20:50
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Census Expressions

Thanks Mike

I should have explained more, as I have used exactly what you explained for Diagrams and Columns.

I was just baffled, after further investigation why AS would have added a tick for some people and not others.

I think I now need to investigate

a) Who I added 1939 records for up to now - my media sub folder shows 6 1939 images, while the Records window shows only 1 family.

b) How to use AS to rectify this

Can I have changed some setting in AS in order for only 1 of these to have allowed a flag and tick to appear? This is the confusing part as I use AS to add Census facts.

Best Wishes

Neil.






------ Original Message ------
From: "Mike Tate" <post@...>
To: family-historian@groups.io
Sent: Sunday, 9 Jan, 2022 At 20:34
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Census Expressions

Neil,

Most users employ the Census Event to record the 1939 Register because it is a ‘census’ albeit not a formal National Census.

That allows all the FH & AS census tools to be brought to bear because they are just as relevant to the 1039 Register.

See FHUG KB https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/recording-from-a-census-record/

I suspect you are mixing up Expressions and Record Flags and Diagram Box Icons and Record Window ticks.

You can use an Expression such as you posted =IsTrue(%INDI.CENS[year=1939].SOUR>_TYPE% = "Census") or =HasFlag(%INDI%,"Census1939")

If either is true then they will produce a tick in a Records Window column.

Similarly, in the Diagram > Options > Box tab Conditions, you can use an Expression or a Record Flag to display an Icon.

So whether an Icon for 1939 is shown on Diagrams depends on you having created a Box Condition.

If your other Census Icons have Box Conditions using such as =IsTrue(%INDI.CENS[year=1911].SOUR>_TYPE% = "Census") then do likewise for 1939.

In that case, you do not need any census Record Flags at all.

On the otherhand, if your Box Conditions employ Record Flag Conditions then do likewise for 1921 and 1939, etc.

Ancestral Sources has Census Flag tools for managing Record Flags if you need them to be retrospectively added to your Individuals for their Census years.

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Neil Grantham via groups.io
Sent: 09 January 2022 20:14
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Census Expressions

Actually just realised that the 1939 expression is working!

I just sorted on that column to find I have got ticks in it.

I use Ancestral Sources to add census facts, and just added my paternal grandparents 1921 census, so it shows the 1921 flag now, but not the 1939, where I do have 1939 facts. Pretty sure I used AS to add them for this event, so perhaps I missed setting something in AS at the time.

Can I now add that flag to the fact?

Best Wishes

Neil.


--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow, Birchall.


--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow, Birchall.


Re: Descendant report - born again!

Mike Tate
 

Hi Norman,

That looks like a Descendant Outline Report that shows all Facts in Date order.

I suspect that if you look really carefully throughout the Property Box of Norman LORRAIN you will find both Birth Events.

Check both the Facts tab and the All tab and look from top to bottom.

Perhaps the second Birth Event has a Sort Date which will move it down the Facts tab but not the All tab nor the Report.  

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of normanlorrain@...
Sent: 09 January 2022 19:01
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Descendant report - born again!

 

In my descendant report, I'm seeing a few individuals (not all) showing their birth event repeated.

e.g. 

1.3.1  Norman LORRAIN (1234- ) [1725]

•  Born: Jan 1, 1234, BlahBlah, ZZ.

•  Born: Jan 1, 1234, BlahBlah, ZZ.

•  Marr: etc etc. 

I only have one birth event in these person card.

Where is the second birth event coming from?  I can edit the birthplace (e.g. BlahBlah1), and the change takes effect for the first entry but not the second.


Re: Census Expressions

Neil Grantham
 

I show a small flag with the Census year under the boxes as a visual guide for myself to know if I've found/entered census information for the individual.

Best Wishes


Neil.





------ Original Message ------
From: steve@...
To: family-historian@groups.io
Sent: Sunday, 9 Jan, 2022 At 21:54
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Census Expressions

Please explain what you mean by “showing flags on diagrams”.

Also, in my diagrams I often have people who have had multiple spouses. But, if they are not in my line, I don’t see that this person has other spouses (and therefore also other children by that other spouse). Is there a way to display a number indicating that this person has been married before (or after) the ‘current’ spouse as shown in the diagram?

Thanks.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Neil Grantham via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, January 9, 2022 2:28 PM
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Census Expressions

Hi all

Does FH use INDI.CENS for the 1939 Register?

I ask as I have used this for showing flags on diagrams and columns in the Records window, which works correctly for 1841 to 1921, but is not working for the 1939 Register.

I am using this expression for both

=IsTrue(%INDI.CENS[year=1939].SOUR>_TYPE% = "Census")

Many Thanks

Neil.


--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow, Birchall.


--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow, Birchall.


Re: Census Expressions

Mike Tate
 

Steve,

Please don’t steal this thread that is all about Census entries.

It will get extremely complicated answering Census questions and your Diagram questions in one thread.

Please start a new posting with a new Subject line.

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of steve@...
Sent: 09 January 2022 21:55
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Census Expressions

 

Please explain what you mean by “showing flags on diagrams”. 

Also, in my diagrams I often have people who have had multiple spouses.  But, if they are not in my line, I don’t see that this person has other spouses (and therefore also other children by that other spouse).  Is there a way to display a number indicating that this person has been married before (or after) the ‘current’ spouse as shown in the diagram?

 

Thanks.


Re: Census Expressions

Mike Tate
 

AS does not add any ticks anywhere.

It adds Census Events with Source Citations and optionally Record Flags to FH.

Any ticks or Diagram Icons are governed by what you add to FH as I explained before.

I explained both Expressions like =IsTrue(%INDI.CENS[year=1939].SOUR>_TYPE% = "Census") and also Record Flags.

So exactly which have you used and where have you used them?

 

The easiest way to discover where Census Events are used is the All Events standard Query and sort on Fact Type.

 

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Neil Grantham via groups.io
Sent: 09 January 2022 20:50
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Census Expressions

 

Thanks Mike

 

I should have explained more, as I have used exactly what you explained for Diagrams and Columns.

 

I was just baffled, after further investigation why AS would have added a tick for some people and not others.

 

I think I now need to investigate

a) Who I added 1939 records for up to now - my media sub folder shows 6 1939 images, while the Records window shows only 1 family.

b) How to use AS to rectify this

 

Can I have changed some setting in AS in order for only 1 of these to have allowed a flag and tick to appear? This is the confusing part as I use AS to add Census facts.

 

Best Wishes

 

Neil.






------ Original Message ------
From: "Mike Tate" <post@...>
To: family-historian@groups.io
Sent: Sunday, 9 Jan, 2022 At 20:34
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Census Expressions

Neil,

Most users employ the Census Event to record the 1939 Register because it is a ‘census’ albeit not a formal National Census.

That allows all the FH & AS census tools to be brought to bear because they are just as relevant to the 1039 Register.

See FHUG KB https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/recording-from-a-census-record/

I suspect you are mixing up Expressions and Record Flags and Diagram Box Icons and Record Window ticks.

You can use an Expression such as you posted =IsTrue(%INDI.CENS[year=1939].SOUR>_TYPE% = "Census") or =HasFlag(%INDI%,"Census1939")

If either is true then they will produce a tick in a Records Window column.

Similarly, in the Diagram > Options > Box tab Conditions, you can use an Expression or a Record Flag to display an Icon.

So whether an Icon for 1939 is shown on Diagrams depends on you having created a Box Condition.

If your other Census Icons have Box Conditions using such as =IsTrue(%INDI.CENS[year=1911].SOUR>_TYPE% = "Census") then do likewise for 1939.

In that case, you do not need any census Record Flags at all.

On the otherhand, if your Box Conditions employ Record Flag Conditions then do likewise for 1921 and 1939, etc.

Ancestral Sources has Census Flag tools for managing Record Flags if you need them to be retrospectively added to your Individuals for their Census years.

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Neil Grantham via groups.io
Sent: 09 January 2022 20:14
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Census Expressions

Actually just realised that the 1939 expression is working!

I just sorted on that column to find I have got ticks in it.

I use Ancestral Sources to add census facts, and just added my paternal grandparents 1921 census, so it shows the 1921 flag now, but not the 1939, where I do have 1939 facts. Pretty sure I used AS to add them for this event, so perhaps I missed setting something in AS at the time.

Can I now add that flag to the fact?

Best Wishes

Neil.


--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow, Birchall.


Re: Census Expressions

steve@...
 

Please explain what you mean by “showing flags on diagrams”. 

Also, in my diagrams I often have people who have had multiple spouses.  But, if they are not in my line, I don’t see that this person has other spouses (and therefore also other children by that other spouse).  Is there a way to display a number indicating that this person has been married before (or after) the ‘current’ spouse as shown in the diagram?

 

Thanks.

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Neil Grantham via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, January 9, 2022 2:28 PM
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Census Expressions

 

Hi all

 

Does FH use INDI.CENS for the 1939 Register?

I ask as I have used this for showing flags on diagrams and columns in the Records window, which works correctly for 1841 to 1921, but is not working for the 1939 Register.

 

I am using this expression for both

=IsTrue(%INDI.CENS[year=1939].SOUR>_TYPE% = "Census")

 

Many Thanks

 

Neil.


--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow, Birchall.


Re: Census Expressions

Neil Grantham
 

Thanks Mike


I should have explained more, as I have used exactly what you explained for Diagrams and Columns.


I was just baffled, after further investigation why AS would have added a tick for some people and not others.


I think I now need to investigate

a) Who I added 1939 records for up to now - my media sub folder shows 6 1939 images, while the Records window shows only 1 family.

b) How to use AS to rectify this


Can I have changed some setting in AS in order for only 1 of these to have allowed a flag and tick to appear? This is the confusing part as I use AS to add Census facts.


Best Wishes


Neil.





------ Original Message ------
From: "Mike Tate" <post@...>
To: family-historian@groups.io
Sent: Sunday, 9 Jan, 2022 At 20:34
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Census Expressions

Neil,

Most users employ the Census Event to record the 1939 Register because it is a ‘census’ albeit not a formal National Census.

That allows all the FH & AS census tools to be brought to bear because they are just as relevant to the 1039 Register.

See FHUG KB https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/recording-from-a-census-record/

I suspect you are mixing up Expressions and Record Flags and Diagram Box Icons and Record Window ticks.

You can use an Expression such as you posted =IsTrue(%INDI.CENS[year=1939].SOUR>_TYPE% = "Census") or =HasFlag(%INDI%,"Census1939")

If either is true then they will produce a tick in a Records Window column.

Similarly, in the Diagram > Options > Box tab Conditions, you can use an Expression or a Record Flag to display an Icon.

So whether an Icon for 1939 is shown on Diagrams depends on you having created a Box Condition.

If your other Census Icons have Box Conditions using such as =IsTrue(%INDI.CENS[year=1911].SOUR>_TYPE% = "Census") then do likewise for 1939.

In that case, you do not need any census Record Flags at all.

On the otherhand, if your Box Conditions employ Record Flag Conditions then do likewise for 1921 and 1939, etc.

Ancestral Sources has Census Flag tools for managing Record Flags if you need them to be retrospectively added to your Individuals for their Census years.

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Neil Grantham via groups.io
Sent: 09 January 2022 20:14
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Census Expressions

Actually just realised that the 1939 expression is working!

I just sorted on that column to find I have got ticks in it.

I use Ancestral Sources to add census facts, and just added my paternal grandparents 1921 census, so it shows the 1921 flag now, but not the 1939, where I do have 1939 facts. Pretty sure I used AS to add them for this event, so perhaps I missed setting something in AS at the time.

Can I now add that flag to the fact?

Best Wishes

Neil.


--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow, Birchall.


Re: Census Expressions

Mike Tate
 

Neil,

Most users employ the Census Event to record the 1939 Register because it is a ‘census’ albeit not a formal National Census.

That allows all the FH & AS census tools to be brought to bear because they are just as relevant to the 1039 Register.

See FHUG KB https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/recording-from-a-census-record/

 

I suspect you are mixing up Expressions and Record Flags and Diagram Box Icons and Record Window ticks.

 

You can use an Expression such as you posted =IsTrue(%INDI.CENS[year=1939].SOUR>_TYPE% = "Census") or =HasFlag(%INDI%,"Census1939")

If either is true then they will produce a tick in a Records Window column.

 

Similarly, in the Diagram > Options > Box tab Conditions, you can use an Expression or a Record Flag to display an Icon.

So whether an Icon for 1939 is shown on Diagrams depends on you having created a Box Condition.

If your other Census Icons have Box Conditions using such as =IsTrue(%INDI.CENS[year=1911].SOUR>_TYPE% = "Census") then do likewise for 1939.

In that case, you do not need any census Record Flags at all.

On the otherhand, if your Box Conditions employ Record Flag Conditions then do likewise for 1921 and 1939, etc.

 

Ancestral Sources has Census Flag tools for managing Record Flags if you need them to be retrospectively added to your Individuals for their Census years.

 

Mike Tate

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Neil Grantham via groups.io
Sent: 09 January 2022 20:14
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Census Expressions

 

Actually just realised that the 1939 expression is working!

I just sorted on that column to find I have got ticks in it.

 

I use Ancestral Sources to add census facts, and just added my paternal grandparents 1921 census, so it shows the 1921 flag now, but not the 1939, where I do have 1939 facts. Pretty sure I used AS to add them for this event, so perhaps I missed setting something in AS at the time.

Can I now add that flag to the fact?

 

Best Wishes

 

Neil.


Re: Census Expressions

Brian Horridge
 

Nick
My apologies - the earlier AS version did not offer that facilty so I did my own thing.
Also, as I'd transcribed my 1939 data into a spreadsheet, I wrote a bit of software code to do bulk transfer from the spreadsheet into  Gedom files to avoid having to retype the data again (with possible errors).
Brian

Sent via BT Email App



From: Nick Walker (Ancestral Sources) <nick@...>
Sent: 9 January 2022 20:19:58 GMT+00:00
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Census Expressions

Actually Brian, Ancestral Sources allows you to edit the 1939 template (and any other 'census' templates) to use residence facts or custom facts if you prefer.

Cheers

Nick
On 09/01/2022 19:38 Brian Horridge via groups.io <brian.horridge@...> wrote:


Neil
I personally did not think the 1939 Register should be classed as  census event so I created my own Custom event but I think I might be in the minority.
FH itself is not fussy either way but I believe Ancestral Sources generates INDI.CENS facts.
Brian

Sent via BT Email App



From: Neil Grantham via groups.io <neil40@...>
Sent: 9 January 2022 19:27:45 GMT+00:00
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Census Expressions

Hi all


Does FH use INDI.CENS for the 1939 Register?

I ask as I have used this for showing flags on diagrams and columns in the Records window, which works correctly for 1841 to 1921, but is not working for the 1939 Register.


I am using this expression for both

=IsTrue(%INDI.CENS[year=1939].SOUR>_TYPE% = "Census")


Many Thanks


Neil.


--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow, Birchall.


Descendant report - born again!

normanlorrain@...
 

In my descendant report, I'm seeing a few individuals (not all) showing their birth event repeated.

e.g. 
1.3.1  Norman LORRAIN (1234- ) [1725]
•  Born: Jan 1, 1234, BlahBlah, ZZ.
•  Born: Jan 1, 1234, BlahBlah, ZZ.
•  Marr: etc etc. 

I only have one birth event in these person card.

Where is the second birth event coming from?  I can edit the birthplace (e.g. BlahBlah1), and the change takes effect for the first entry but not the second.

1601 - 1620 of 6235