Date   

Re: Calculate Birth date from age at death

Paul Tanner-Tremaine
 

I have a simple date calculator on my website free to use at https://www.1820settlers.com/genealogy/settlercalculator.php


Re: Calculate Birth date from age at death

Karin Schuette Weiss
 

Mike -

Yes, it was the Age Entry Assistant.  A little sad it doesn't help with
what I wanted.


It is the first time in a while I really missed TMG - they had an age
calculator that did just what I wanted.

So I tried framing a question online and found a Tombstone
Birthday Calculator.  It did just what I wanted.


You are right that I could figure it myself, but I like having an easy way
(and a way to check if my brain works).  The calculation I had done
myself was  correct.

On 9/16/2021 2:09 PM, Mike Tate wrote:
I think you are referring to the Age Entry Assistant Dialog associated with the Age box of every fact.
That will help you enter the exact Age into the Death event but it does NOT help with calculating the Date of Birth.
You will have to figure that out yourself by subtracting the years, months and days from the Date of Death.






Re: Calculate Birth date from age at death

Mike Tate
 

I think you are referring to the Age Entry Assistant Dialog associated with the Age box of every fact.
That will help you enter the exact Age into the Death event but it does NOT help with calculating the Date of Birth.
You will have to figure that out yourself by subtracting the years, months and days from the Date of Death.


Calculate Birth date from age at death

Karin Schuette Weiss
 

I am using FH Ver 7.0.8.2.

I am wanting to calculate a birth date.  I have the death date and
the exact age at death - 48 years 2 months 28 days.  I think I need
to use the age data entry assistant to do this, but I cannot figure out
how.

Thank you

Karin Schuette Weiss


Re: Additional info on shared people

Adrian Bruce
 

Edward - to try to reinforce what Mike has said, witness / shared
events can be difficult to get the head round, particularly when you
want to start adding bits to the sentences. Perhaps oddly, I found
that for me it became clearer when I looked at the GEDCOM file, where
you can see that in such a case, there is only ONE event in the file,
and it belongs to the Principal. (Don't actually try to open the
GEDCOM file yourself unless you know what you're doing).

The reason for me saying this is that you said "can I from the
heirloom fact for Adam Smith reference data from the heirloom fact for
Henry Smith who are linked by the sharing"

In the GEDCOM file, in your example, there is NO Heirloom fact for
Henry. I know it looks like it's there on the screen for Henry, and it
says "Windsor, Connecticut", but you're actually looking at Adam's
fact (the clue is the arrowhead in the left-hand column). So you can't
reference data from the heirloom fact for Henry Smith, because it's
actually the heirloom fact for Adam Smith.

Put another way, you can't link the two Windsor references, because
there is only one Windsor reference to start with - and it belongs to
Adam's heirloom fact.

What I would end up doing is adding to the Note for Adam's Heirloom
fact, by clarifying who the various people are in that note - for
instance, adding "This was Henry Smith, who was also from Windsor".

Adrian


Re: Additional info on shared people

Mike Tate
 

As I tried to explain, the only way you can achieve that is by editing the Name: box in the Henry Smith record as follows:

 

Name: Henry /Smith/ of Windsor Connecticut

 

It is important to include both / characters to identify the surname.

 


Re: New user of V7

Mike Tate
 

That is even stranger and needs further investigation.

The filename is shown top left as ‘Untitled’ which probably means no file at all and the error messages are misleading.

 

Use Tools > Preferences… and open the Startup tab.

Please copy the entire contents of the Default Startup File: box into your next reply by using Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C and then Ctrl+V.

Is that file path the correct one for your project?

 

Please post a screenshot of the Project Window with the green tick and including all the buttons.

Confirm that clicking the Open Project button successfully opens that project.

 

Try using the More Tasks… button and select Samples > Reset Sample Project.

Does that successfully create a Family Historian Sample Project that you can open?

 

Presumably, you are running FH v7.0.8 from the same Windows PC Account Username as you ran FH v6.2.7.

Have there been any significant changes to your PC system between running FH v6.2.7 and running FH v7.0.8?

 


Re: Additional info on shared people

Edward Sneithe
 

Thank you everyone. I suspected that I might be looking for something that can't be done;

First is the property Box for my test subject Adam Smith with the heirloom fact selected.

Inline image

This is the share screen for the heirloom fact for Adam Smith
Inline image

This is the property Box for Henry Smith one of the people in the share box for heirone.

Inline image

The original question was can I from the heirloom fact for Adam Smith reference data from the heirloom fact for Henry Smith who are linked by the sharing.  Asexample the sentence for the heirloom fact for A    Adam Smith would look like this:  ....  heirone: Henry Smith of Windsor Connecticut ...

I thought this would be a nice capability if possible but I detect that it is not possible.

This is just a test case so I see that I have spelling errors and grammar  in the data..

On Thursday, September 16, 2021, 05:58:11 AM EDT, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:


Sorry, it is the auto-correction at work!

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Lorna Craig via groups.io
Sent: 15 September 2021 23:21
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Additional info on shared people

 

Mike, it's not "heroine", it's "heirone" which I suspect is "heir one", as the sentence includes "Other heirs were:".

On 15/09/2021 22:07, Mike Tate wrote:

It might be possible, but I don’t understand what you mean by the place of the heroine, etc.

Places are associate with facts, not people, so where are you hoping to extract that detail?

 

Mike

 

 


Re: New user of V7

westonicf@...
 

Hi Mike,
         Thanks for the reply. Here is attachment of the whole window. I do not see any info regarding the GEDCOM filename. I set my project to default as you suggested and the green check mark shows up but I'm still getting the same errors when I start the program. Yes my previous version was 6.2.7. As I am a novice user I had no information regarding the settings plugin you mentioned....Bob


Re: New user of V7

Mike Tate
 

Presumably, you installed FH v7.0 over your existing FH v6.2.7 or some earlier FH version.

 

A ‘standalone’ GEDCOM file is, as it says in the message, not part of a Family Historian project.

Unfortunately, you did not include the top of the FH window that identifies the GEDCOM filename.

 

However, sometimes when installing new software such as a major upgrade to FH, your custom settings may get upset or reset to defaults.

That is why it is important to use the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings plugin before such upgrades.

 

Nevertheless, you say the Project Window lists your previous Project.

So right-click that Project and choose Set as Default Project, which is what you would have done years ago in the previous FH version.

It will then have a green tick showing it will open by default the next time you open FH.

Finally, click the Open Project button.

 


Re: Additional info on shared people

Mike Tate
 

Sorry, it is the auto-correction at work!

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Lorna Craig via groups.io
Sent: 15 September 2021 23:21
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Additional info on shared people

 

Mike, it's not "heroine", it's "heirone" which I suspect is "heir one", as the sentence includes "Other heirs were:".

On 15/09/2021 22:07, Mike Tate wrote:

It might be possible, but I don’t understand what you mean by the place of the heroine, etc.

Places are associate with facts, not people, so where are you hoping to extract that detail?

 

Mike

 

 


Re: Additional info on shared people

Mike Tate
 

As a human, I understand the concept you are trying to achieve, but that has to be translated into a Sentence Template expression that FH understands.

 

The place, date, address, and note references that you mention all operate in the context of just the Principal fact.

 

To identify the Fact Witness person with more than Name and Record Id needs some other data to be extracted from that person’s record.

 

Where would the Place of Boston exist in the Joshua record?

Likewise, where would it exist in the other Joshua record?

Place details only appear in Facts.

So which Fact with an appropriate Place can you ensure exists in each Fact Witness person’s record.

 

Anyway, I think any such technique is doomed to failure as explained below.

 

Looking back at your original posting you refer to:

2 _SHAR @I2@
3 ROLE father
3 _SENT {individual} was father of {principal} < in the [date:YEAR] census>

That Sentence appears in father’s Narrative Report amongst all his other facts, so you know who the father is without needing extra identification in that Sentence.

What you might need is extra identification of the Principal where {principal} only provides the Name.

 

It is the Principal fact Sentence Template that needs the extra identity of Witnesses and the expressions that matter are the ones you posted later:

<<br>   heirone: {role(single)=heirone}><<br>   heirones: {role(plural)=heirone}>

The angle bracket conditional structure <<br>   heirone: {role(single)=heirone}> is only allowed one variable item in curly brackets which must be the {role…} item.

So any data reference to any other additional item such as {%CUR~WITN.NOTE2%} will not work because two variables items are not allowed.

Sometimes it is possible to replace an angle bracket conditional structure with the {=CombineText(…)} function but in this case the crucial {role…} item is not supported inside such functions.

 

If differentiating one Joshua Smith from another with more than just Record Id is important in the above contexts then it is probably important in other contexts.

So the only general solution I can offer is to add that differentiation to the Name field of each Joshua Smith.

e.g.

Name: Joshua /Smith/ from Boston

Name: Joshua /Smith/ from Chicago

Name: Joshua /Smith/ Junior

Name: Joshua /Smith/ Senior from Detroit

 

In reports and diagrams where you don’t want that suffix after the surname, then it should be possible to use one or other of the NAME qualifiers to exclude it.

 


New user of V7

westonicf@...
 

Greetings,
Just recently downloaded V7 and have a startup issue. At program startup I get the following...see screenshot file (174656.png) It indicates that I have selected a GEDCOM file...not sure what this means since I have only just launched the program. Upon clicking "ok" I'm presented with error message in screenshot file (173559.png). After hitting OK again I'm taken to the project window which lists the tree I previously created in the previous version. Any thoughts on how to fix this....thanks in advance, Bob


Re: editing a decendants report

Adrian Bruce
 


On Wed, Sep 15, 2021, 19:04 Victor Markham via groups.io <victor=markham.me.uk@groups.io> wrote:
Before working on the rtf file save it as a word document and work on that. ...

Yes, as a general rule, it makes more sense to save it as a Word Document first because that is Word's native format, of course, and will save what you end up with on the screen. If you save your screen contents as an RTF, there is always the possibility that what you save will not quite match what's on the screen, because of differences between the Word and RTF formats.


Re: Additional info on shared people

Lorna Craig
 

Mike, it's not "heroine", it's "heirone" which I suspect is "heir one", as the sentence includes "Other heirs were:".

On 15/09/2021 22:07, Mike Tate wrote:

It might be possible, but I don’t understand what you mean by the place of the heroine, etc.

Places are associate with facts, not people, so where are you hoping to extract that detail?

 

Mike

 



Re: Additional info on shared people

Edward Sneithe
 

I may be asking for too much and  I may have mis-spoken about the place but if I look at the fact that is generated in the roles  list of facts there is one that uses the sentence provided for in the Role definition. It also has a place, date, address, and note. So maybe I could access those? My thought was to be able to have a sentence that would identify the person by more than the ID so that a particular Joshua would be from Boston whereas the other Joshuas would be from different places

I may have another way to accomplish this but it MAY involve more work.

On Wednesday, September 15, 2021, 05:07:41 PM EDT, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:


It might be possible, but I don’t understand what you mean by the place of the heroine, etc.

Places are associate with facts, not people, so where are you hoping to extract that detail?

 

Mike

 


Re: Additional info on shared people

Mike Tate
 

It might be possible, but I don’t understand what you mean by the place of the heroine, etc.

Places are associate with facts, not people, so where are you hoping to extract that detail?

 

Mike

 


Re: Additional info on shared people

Edward Sneithe
 

Mike this is from the sentence in the primary person who has the fact but I was wondering if I can get data from the role person?

For the primary fact I would say
<para>{value} was first owned by {principal} < {date}>< at {address}>< {place}>{=TextIf(Exists(%FACT._SHAR%) and Not(%FACT._SHAR.ROLE% = "Wife") or Exists(%FACT._SHAR[2]%)," Other heirs were:","")}<<br>   heirone: {role(single)=heirone}><<br>   heirones: {role(plural)=heirone}><para>

This will get me the name of the hir but can I get additional info about the specific heir. Can I get the detail of place of heirone, etc from the role not the primary fact holder?

On Wednesday, September 15, 2021, 01:13:08 PM EDT, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:


Yes, use the {date} {place} {age} codes as usual to get details of the witnessed fact.

 


Re: editing a decendants report

Neil Grantham
 



------ Original Message ------
From: "Nev Ramsden" <black.sail38@...>
To: family-historian@groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, 15 Sep, 2021 At 18:54
Subject: [family-historian] editing a decendants report

Hi,
If I save a Descendants Report and then reopen it in Microsoft Word to allow me to make some additions – then when I try to re-save the modified report I am given the following message
“you are attempting to save a file type (rtf) that has been blocked by your File Block Settings in the Trust Center”
Why does this happen?
How do I stop it, so that I can make my additions?
Nev.Ramsden

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow, Birchall.


Re: editing a decendants report

Victor Markham
 

Before working on the rtf file save it as a word document and work on that. The file will automatically save as you work along

On 15 Sep 2021, at 18:55, Nev Ramsden <black.sail38@...> wrote:
Hi,
 
If I save a Descendants Report and then reopen it in Microsoft Word to allow me to make some additions – then when I try to re-save the modified report I am given the following message
“you are attempting to save a file type (rtf) that has been blocked by your File Block Settings in the Trust Center”
Why does this happen?
How do I stop it, so that I can make my additions?
 
Nev.Ramsden

641 - 660 of 4742