Date   

Re: copy fact definitions

Lorna Craig
 

You need to use Tools>Fact Types, then select the fact and click Edit.  You can change the main sentence template there. Then click on the Roles button to select each role in turn to edit it.

On 15/08/2021 19:42, Edward Sneithe via groups.io wrote:
I have been working on modifying sentences to read better (to me anyway). I have changed the basic sentence for an individual by editing a fact and then in the sentence box changed the sentence. I have also created roles and their sentences.

These are standard facts Birth Baptism, Death, Burial, Probate, Will. These new sentences work well in this environment.

How do I get the fact sentences and role sentences into the standard fact definitions?


copy fact definitions

Edward Sneithe
 

I have been working on modifying sentences to read better (to me anyway). I have changed the basic sentence for an individual by editing a fact and then in the sentence box changed the sentence. I have also created roles and their sentences.

These are standard facts Birth Baptism, Death, Burial, Probate, Will. These new sentences work well in this environment.

How do I get the fact sentences and role sentences into the standard fact definitions?

It will be tedious if I must edit all the facts individually and also their roles


Re: Reference a section of place

Mike Tate
 

To rearrange your Place &/or Address parts there is the cunningly named plugin ‘Rearrange Address and Place Parts’.

That can adjust the number of comma-separated parts, move Address parts into Place parts, etc, etc, …

 


Re: Reference a section of place

Edward Sneithe
 

Joop van Beek,

I've been looking into how I want to store address information and it appears that if I include the address as part of place I will get an entry in places for every address, OK but very voluminous. If I use the method of putting everything into the place field then I will need to ensure that I have all the proper number of commas so that country always appear at the same number in the list. That will require a lot of corrective work.

The nice thing about FH is there are always many ways to solve a problem. In my particular instance I have found many ways to get this job done. Now I need to decide and reiterating what is in the Knowledge base I will need to be consistent.

I wonder why FH does not have an option to include the address for geocoding that we need to use a plugin and the resulting information is outside of FH.

Thank you for your suggestion. Now I need to choose.

On Sunday, August 15, 2021, 06:35:05 AM EDT, j.van.beek@... <j.van.beek@...> wrote:


I only use the Place fact (no Address) and structure it like:
1. name of the town, village etc.
2. name of the street, sublocation etc.
3. name of the country (or state, county etc. followed by name of the country between parenthesis)
4. name of the church, hospital, graveyard, building etc.

Parts 2 to 4 are optional.
The fact definition usage is: replace {place} by {=TextPart(%FACT.PLAC%, 4)} <in {=TextPart(%FACT.PLAC%, 1, 3, TIDY)}>. This can of course be modified to one's liking.
Works nicely together with the Place list in Tools/Work with Data and also with geo-coding.

Joop van Beek


Re: Reference a section of place

@JoopvB
 

I only use the Place fact (no Address) and structure it like:
1. name of the town, village etc.
2. name of the street, sublocation etc.
3. name of the country (or state, county etc. followed by name of the country between parenthesis)
4. name of the church, hospital, graveyard, building etc.

Parts 2 to 4 are optional.
The fact definition usage is: replace {place} by {=TextPart(%FACT.PLAC%, 4)} <in {=TextPart(%FACT.PLAC%, 1, 3, TIDY)}>. This can of course be modified to one's liking.
Works nicely together with the Place list in Tools/Work with Data and also with geo-coding.

Joop van Beek


Re: Newcomer migrating from FT11 to FH7

Lorna Craig
 

John, are you referring to the advice in the FHUG Knowledge Base in the section on Importing from FTM?  If so, it sounds as if you have successfully followed the guidance on exporting a suitable GEDCOM file from FTM, ending with the paragraph headed "Export Status Dialogue".

The next paragraph, headed 'Media Images', may be what is confusing you because it talks about Media attached to Citations, and how to find them.  As it says, it's easy to find them in V6 or later so that shouldn't be a problem.   Ignore that for the moment.

What you need to do is create a project in FH using the GEDCOM file you have prepared.  Open the Project Window in FH and click New Project.  Select Import a GEDCOM file and browse for your prepared file.  Keep the option to Copy any linked multimedia files into the new project folder ticked.  Then click Next.

Lorna

In the FH Project Window

On 14/08/2021 19:16, johnchezstevens@... wrote:
I have previously tried exporting GEDCOM file from FTM11 to FH7 before I knew anything about errors that would occur during the importing of the GEDCOM file into FH7, and then  lost the log file containing the errors!  I have started again and been shadowing the recent advice given to other newcomers also migrating from elsewhere and have got to the point of making a new GEDCOM ready to import into FH7. The advice I am trying to follow then starts discussing the various faults that may occur on citations in terms that are new to me, and I am confused as to how to proceed at this point.   I would be gratefull for further advice please.
John Stevens


Re: Newcomer migrating from FT11 to FH7

Mike Tate
 

Hi John,

As has been suggested to others, it is often easier to discuss these issues in the FHUG Forums.

There it is easier to attach screenshots, attach snippets of GEDCOM, cross-refer to the Knowledge Base, etc.

See https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/ and sign up for free.

 

It helps us to help you if you can be more specific when describing your problems.

You say you are following advice, but don’t identify what advice that is and how far you have got.

You mention citation terms that are new to you, but don’t say what they are.

You know what advice you are following and the terms that confuse you, but we don’t.

Please identify the advice and the terms so we can dispel your confusion.

 

Be assured that many users of FH have migrated to and from FTM successfully and are happy to help.

However, FTM11 is quite old, so the migration process may not be as smooth as for later FTM versions.

 

Mike Tate

 


Re: Reference a section of place

Leslie P
 

This may or may not be of use in your situation Edward, but when I decided to get "fancy" with my Occupation Attribute sentence, it took a LOT of trial and error. I got there in the end, with something that looks hairy as heck, and there may be an easier way to do it, but perhaps this will give you some ideas.

Like I said, it's the occupation attribute, so I put things like "farmer" or "store owner" or "teacher" in the attribute field. I want to keep that as simple as possible so I can easily see and count how many farmers I have, or teachers or whatever.

I do not use Addresses at all, I only use the place field to define the place that an event happened, and I keep the places all very well divided up - detail, city, county, state, country - so the 5th place item from the end will always be the name of the company, if it exists.

The sentence I want is:

no place: In 1975 Mack was a lobbyist.
no place detail: From 1933 to 1950 Homer was a farmer in Follett, Lipscomb, Texas, United States
with place detail: Katie was a teacher at Follett High School in Follett, Lipscomb, Texas, United States

The code that finally allowed me to get this is: 
{date} {individual} was {a/an value} {=ExistsText(%FACT.PLAC%, CombineText( "at ", TextPart( %FACT.PLAC%, -5), Text(" in ".TextPart(%FACT.PLAC%,-4) .", ". TextPart(%FACT.PLAC%,-3) . ", ". TextPart(%FACT.PLAC%,-2) .", ". TextPart(%FACT.PLAC%,-1))  ,Text("in ".%FACT.PLAC%)))}.

Like I said, it took ages to get this right, but this combination of TextPart, CombineText, and ExistsText seems to work to get what I want.
Hope this helps.
---
Leslie P
Houston, TX
user of: Zotero, RootsMagic, Family Historian, TNG, IMatch, ZenPhoto


Newcomer migrating from FT11 to FH7

johnchezstevens@...
 

I have previously tried exporting GEDCOM file from FTM11 to FH7 before I knew anything about errors that would occur during the importing of the GEDCOM file into FH7, and then  lost the log file containing the errors!  I have started again and been shadowing the recent advice given to other newcomers also migrating from elsewhere and have got to the point of making a new GEDCOM ready to import into FH7. The advice I am trying to follow then starts discussing the various faults that may occur on citations in terms that are new to me, and I am confused as to how to proceed at this point.   I would be gratefull for further advice please.
John Stevens


Re: Reference a section of place

Edward Sneithe
 

Mike Thank you.

It is always nice to see how various items affect other items. I will try to avoid digging myself into that hole.


Re: Reference a section of place

Edward Sneithe
 

Colevalleygirl,

I tried the textpart but was unsuccessful. It either returned nothing or I had a syntax error and the sentence just displayed the expression. I will need to  experiment with this.

In my search from your links I did find the GetLabelledText and that may be easier to use than splitting the place field.

Sentence structure:
<Performed at {=GetLabelledText(%FACT.NOTE2%,"Church: ")} >< by the {=GetLabelledText(%FACT.NOTE2%,"Minister: ")} > <for a fee of {=GetLabelledText(%FACT.NOTE2%,"Charge: ")} >


Note field:
[[
Minister: Rev John Smith
Charge: $200
Church: St Patricks
]]

Resulting sentence:
 Performed at St Patricks by the Rev John Smith for a fee of $200


Re: Reference a section of place

Mike Tate
 

I advise against creating your own custom Baptism attribute, because the standard Baptism Event contributes to key FH features.

For example, its Date affects the estimated date of birth and estimated age if there is no actual Birth Event date.

That applies not just to the person being baptised but sometimes close relatives too.

i.e. It is as significant as the Birth, Christening, Death, Burial and Cremation Events.

 

Mike Tate

 


Re: Reference a section of place

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk
 

Have a look at the TextPart function https://www.family-historian.co.uk/help/fh6/hh_goto.htm?hh_start.htm#function_textpart.html to include in a sentence.

 

However, you might also want to look at Working with Places and Addresses – Family Historian User Group (fhug.org.uk), as there are many ways of splitting Address and Place, with different pros and cons – you don’t *have* to put the church name in the place if you’re already including the full address in the place, for example (which you seem to be doing). Geocoding doesn’t take the address into account unless you  use the Map Life Facts plugin (but there are pros and cons of that approach to0.) Have a think about what’s important to you, and if you need to change anything we’ll work out what you need to do. You can even overlap information between the address field and the place field as long as you’re careful how you use each of them. You can include [[privacy markers]] in the address field to exclude them from reports etc.

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Edward Sneithe via groups.io
Sent: 14 August 2021 16:39
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Reference a section of place

 

In my attempt to decide between a narrative report that looks like a list of events and a more prose type representation I have the following question.

In a Baptism record I must put the church name into the place field.. ( i know I could use the note field )

My place field looks like this:
St Patrick, 47 West High St, East Hampton, Connecticut

Everything work including geocoding. When constructing a sentence I was wondering if I could reference just the church name or the street address. perhaps like PLAC(1) Or should I use the place field for the actual address and the address field for the church name. Or I could make my own baptism fact as an attribute where I can have a value.

I am confused at this point so any suggestions would be appreciated


Reference a section of place

Edward Sneithe
 

In my attempt to decide between a narrative report that looks like a list of events and a more prose type representation I have the following question.

In a Baptism record I must put the church name into the place field.. ( i know I could use the note field )

My place field looks like this:
St Patrick, 47 West High St, East Hampton, Connecticut

Everything work including geocoding. When constructing a sentence I was wondering if I could reference just the church name or the street address. perhaps like PLAC(1) Or should I use the place field for the actual address and the address field for the church name. Or I could make my own baptism fact as an attribute where I can have a value.

I am confused at this point so any suggestions would be appreciated


Re: Modifying Text

Sue Langabeer
 

Sorry about that, I have in fact resolved this issue now.  Many thanks

On 14 August 2021 at 15:35 "colevalleygirl@..." <colevalleygirl@...> wrote:

The user group is separate from this mailing list, and Mike can’t help with your login.

 

It looks as if you’ve already created an account and have forgotten the details. Use FHUG Forums Contact Form – Family Historian User Group to contact the admins with the email address you used when registering and we’ll sort you out.

 

Helen

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Sue Langabeer via groups.io
Sent: 14 August 2021 15:30
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Modifying Text

 

Hello Mike - I am trying to log into user group and I get this message

The specified username is currently inactive. If you have problems activating your account, please contact a board administrator.

I filled in all the registration details .....

Can you help me please?

 

On 14 August 2021 at 15:12 Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:


 


 


Re: Modifying Text

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk
 

The user group is separate from this mailing list, and Mike can’t help with your login.

 

It looks as if you’ve already created an account and have forgotten the details. Use FHUG Forums Contact Form – Family Historian User Group to contact the admins with the email address you used when registering and we’ll sort you out.

 

Helen

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Sue Langabeer via groups.io
Sent: 14 August 2021 15:30
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Modifying Text

 

Hello Mike - I am trying to log into user group and I get this message

The specified username is currently inactive. If you have problems activating your account, please contact a board administrator.

I filled in all the registration details .....

Can you help me please?

 

On 14 August 2021 at 15:12 Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:


Modifying Text

Sue Langabeer
 

Hello Mike - I am trying to log into user group and I get this message

The specified username is currently inactive. If you have problems activating your account, please contact a board administrator.

I filled in all the registration details .....
Can you help me please?

On 14 August 2021 at 15:12 Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Hi Sue,    Please see my replies to June and follow her lead by posting in the FHUG Forum for Importing and Exporting.

https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=19720 ‘Importing from Legacy’.

 

Except in your case, it will be ‘Importing from Family Tree Maker’. Please don’t tag onto June’s posting.

There is similar dedicate advice in the FHUG Knowledge Base for ‘Import from Family Tree Maker (FTM)’:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/importing-to-family-historian/

There are many current FH users who migrate to and from FTM successfully.

Just because your sentences have similar wording, it does not necessarily mean you have the same problem.

Various import scenarios can result in that effect.     Mike Tate

 


 


Re: Modifying Text

Mike Tate
 

Hi Sue,

 

Please see my replies to June and follow her lead by posting in the FHUG Forum for Importing and Exporting.

https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=19720 ‘Importing from Legacy’.

 

Except in your case, it will be ‘Importing from Family Tree Maker’. Please don’t tag onto June’s posting.

There is similar dedicate advice in the FHUG Knowledge Base for ‘Import from Family Tree Maker (FTM)’:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/importing-to-family-historian/

There are many current FH users who migrate to and from FTM successfully.

Just because your sentences have similar wording, it does not necessarily mean you have the same problem.

Various import scenarios can result in that effect.

 

Mike Tate

 


Re: Modifying Text

Sue Langabeer
 

I had exactly the same problem with the word "experienced" as you have June.  I imported my tree from Family Tree Maker version 6 which was REALLY OLD .... so I am also looking for help with this.  Kind regards   Sue Langabeer

On 14 August 2021 at 08:59 "colevalleygirl@..." <colevalleygirl@...> wrote:

Have you imported your data from another programme – if so, which one? I’m not an expert in importing, but one of those should be along today to help, and they will need to know where the data came from. (The default sentences should read as you want them to read, so something has probably gone awry in the importing.)

 

Helen

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of June
Sent: 14 August 2021 08:52
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Modifying Text

 

I am trialling different things on Family Historian. So far liking a lot of what I am finding although it is a few steps up from my previous programme.

 

I have just trialled a Descendants By Generation Report but do not like the way some of the things are worded. For example ‘He experienced Birth’, or ‘He experienced 1911 Census.

 

I searched the help menu and the only thing I could find was Understanding Text Templates. I believe I should have no problem making changes as per the instructions, but what I can’t find is how I find ‘Edit Text Schemes’. Of course, whilst also acknowledging I may be looking at the wrong thing.

 

If someone could advise where I can change these sentences so they read correctly it would be appreciated. I’m looking more for ‘He was born ….’ Or ‘In the 1911 Census …’ etc.

 

Thank you – June

 

 

 

 



 


 


Re: Modifying Text

June <mai_ling@...>
 

Thank you once again Mike.

 

I have to apologise that I did not follow the instructions clearly. I had already managed to import it with no problem so incorrectly assumed that all was well. All I can do is plead a keenness to start moving!

 

I will go back and import it again, following the very detailed instructions.

 

I will also join the other group you mentioned.  I did not realise there were to so thank you for pointing it out.

 

Many thanks – June

 

From: family-historian@groups.io [mailto:family-historian@groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike Tate
Sent: Saturday, 14 August 2021 6:29 PM
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Modifying Text

 

June,

Have you followed the advice I gave to your previous question?

See https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/importing-to-family-historian/ that explains importing to FH.

The ‘Import from Legacy Family Tree (LFT)’ section gives specific advice.

 

The wording you are seeing is caused by the imported facts not agreeing with the standard FH/GEDCOM facts for Birth, Census, etc.

It is only those standard Birth, Marriage, Census, Death facts that will have well-defined narrative Sentence Templates.

 

Are you using the standard Legacy BMD facts or have you created your own custom facts in Legacy?

 

To progress these types of discussion it is often easier in the FHUG Forums.

There it is easier to attach screenshots, attach snippets of GEDCOM, cross-refer to the Knowledge Base, etc.

See https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/

 

Mike Tate

 

 

1341 - 1360 of 5316