Date   

Re: Estimated Date in Range

Victor Markham
 

Instead of using est use app meaning approx it will become c. Let's say 1900 app this will automatically become c1900
Victor

On 20 May 2021, at 16:22, "Brian Horridge via groups.io" <btinternet.com@groups.io target=_blank>brian.horridge=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Mike

I did try the Date Entry Assistant but was not sure if "est" was not supported or if it was and I had simply missed the relevant setting in the different tabs.  At least now I know I had not overlooked it.

I wanted an estimated date as I knew roughly when they left the school but not the exact date.  I've just put in the year now.

Thanks

Brian


On 20/05/2021 11:46, Mike Tate wrote:

Brian,

You can always determine what is valid by using the Date Entry Assistant.

i.e. Click on the […] button to the right of any Date field.

There you will discover that a Qualifier such as Estimated can only be applied to a simple Date and not Period or Range dates.

 

The fact that the first date is exact and the second date is just a year suggests it must be uncertain.

Any further clarification would need to go in the Source Citation or Notes.

 

Mike Tate

 


Virus-free. www.avg.com


Re: Estimated Date in Range

Robert
 

Brian,

You could go to gov.co.uk for 

School term and holiday dates

so if you know the year then that will give you the date at end of term.




On Thursday, May 20, 2021, 16:22, Brian Horridge via groups.io <brian.horridge@...> wrote:

Mike

I did try the Date Entry Assistant but was not sure if "est" was not supported or if it was and I had simply missed the relevant setting in the different tabs.  At least now I know I had not overlooked it.

I wanted an estimated date as I knew roughly when they left the school but not the exact date.  I've just put in the year now.

Thanks

Brian


On 20/05/2021 11:46, Mike Tate wrote:

Brian,

You can always determine what is valid by using the Date Entry Assistant.

i.e. Click on the […] button to the right of any Date field.

There you will discover that a Qualifier such as Estimated can only be applied to a simple Date and not Period or Range dates.

 

The fact that the first date is exact and the second date is just a year suggests it must be uncertain.

Any further clarification would need to go in the Source Citation or Notes.

 

Mike Tate

 


Virus-free. www.avg.com


Re: Estimated Date in Range

Brian Horridge
 

Mike

I did try the Date Entry Assistant but was not sure if "est" was not supported or if it was and I had simply missed the relevant setting in the different tabs.  At least now I know I had not overlooked it.

I wanted an estimated date as I knew roughly when they left the school but not the exact date.  I've just put in the year now.

Thanks

Brian


On 20/05/2021 11:46, Mike Tate wrote:

Brian,

You can always determine what is valid by using the Date Entry Assistant.

i.e. Click on the […] button to the right of any Date field.

There you will discover that a Qualifier such as Estimated can only be applied to a simple Date and not Period or Range dates.

 

The fact that the first date is exact and the second date is just a year suggests it must be uncertain.

Any further clarification would need to go in the Source Citation or Notes.

 

Mike Tate

 


Virus-free. www.avg.com


Re: Estimated Date in Range

Adrian Bruce
 

Good point about Sort Date - I'll have to bear that in mind because I know that there are a few occasions when I've twisted the dates a little bit to get them sorted correctly in v6. Finding such previously twisted dates is another matter!

GEDCOM v7 eh? Alas, we hardly knew you! 


Re: Estimated Date in Range

Mike Tate
 

Yes, that is essentially correct, but regardless of how it is displayed, a Date Phrase will not sort the fact into chronological order in FH or any other product you export to unless the Sort Date (_SDATE) extension is supported, which is a new feature in FH v7 and in a few other products. That affects not just the Facts tab but also many Reports.

In FH v6 you could use the Order Facts by Sort Date plugin but that still does not improve the Facts tab order.

What you really need is GEDCOM V7 that was briefly exposed earlier and then vanished.

 

Mike Tate

 


Re: Estimated Date in Range

Adrian Bruce
 

On Thu, May 20, 2021, 14:27 Lorna Craig via groups.io <l.m.craig=ntlworld.com@groups.io> wrote:
...  I have
managed to get rid of most of my date phrases but in the few remaining
cases I simply edit the sentence in the individual's Property box.

And given the workload in applying Mike's proposal to a significant number of sentences "just in case" they ever use a Date Phrase, it probably makes sense to write a fixed value into the edited sentence. You just have to watch it if you ever update the date.


Re: Estimated Date in Range

Lorna Craig
 

That Wish List request originally dates from August 2006, so don't hold your breath!   However, back in 2006 it was not possible to modify the narrative sentence in the Property box, and we can do that now.  I have managed to get rid of most of my date phrases but in the few remaining cases I simply edit the sentence in the individual's Property box.

Lorna

On 20/05/2021 13:46, Adrian Bruce wrote:
I did suggest a change to optionally remove the quotes when printing a Date Phrase in a narrative report but nothing has come of it yet.


Re: Estimated Date in Range

Mike Tate
 

Wal,

That would only work for adjacent years and is not strictly valid as it should only apply where double-dates are allowed prior to 1752, and even then only for dates between 1 January and 24 March.

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Wal Mills
Sent: 20 May 2021 12:57
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Estimated Date in Range

 

Perhaps you could use the date range: from 1 Jan 1940 to 1941/43, or similar

Wal


Re: Estimated Date in Range

Adrian Bruce
 

I did suggest a change to optionally remove the quotes when printing a Date Phrase in a narrative report but nothing has come of it yet. The quotes need to be on the GEDCOM file but I find it difficult to think of any circumstances when you'd want to see the quotes in a narrative. 

Mike Tate did come up with a construction for v7 (which is why I've not tried it) to remove the quotes - this was an expression to check if the Date Type was a phrase, and then, if it was, used MidText to pull out the text from column 2 to column last but one. (If it isn't a Phrase, just use the date "as is") 

The above is from my notes so I may have missed a bit.


Re: Estimated Date in Range

Wal Mills
 

Perhaps you could use the date range: from 1 Jan 1940 to 1941/43, or similar

Wal


Re: Estimated Date in Range

Mike Tate
 

Brian,

You can always determine what is valid by using the Date Entry Assistant.

i.e. Click on the […] button to the right of any Date field.

There you will discover that a Qualifier such as Estimated can only be applied to a simple Date and not Period or Range dates.

 

The fact that the first date is exact and the second date is just a year suggests it must be uncertain.

Any further clarification would need to go in the Source Citation or Notes.

 

Mike Tate

 


Estimated Date in Range

Brian Horridge
 

Hi

Can anyone tell me if FH (or Gedcom) can handle estimated dates in a Date Range.

The background is that I am recording when certain children were enrolled in a school.  I know the exact date of registration and, for most, I know when they left.  However, there are some where I know when they started but not when they left.

I would like to record it (for example) as "between 1 January 1940 and (est) 1942".  I can enter that as a Date Phrase but FH puts inverted commas around it so I guess the dates are not extracted in the normal way.

It's not a major issue but I'm curious if it can be done.

Many thanks

Brian


Re: Revert to Snapshot

Sue Paul
 

Mike

Yes, I was lucky but wanted you to know what worked as you are always so helpful and all information helps you give advice.

The only thing I customise is the look of the Focus and Property windows and I often change those to fit what I am doing at the time. That is why I thought I was safe just doing the Gedcom backup. I now know that is not safe. 

Kind regards.

Sue

On Wed, 19 May 2021 at 15:40, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Phew Sue!

 

While we are talking about backups, do you customise any of your Diagrams, Reports, Queries, Fact Sets, Property Box tabs, Records Window columns, Plugins, etc, etc?

If so then use the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings plugin to safeguard all those custom settings.

 

Mike

 


Re: Membership of ancestry.com

Paul Reeve
 

I have been using ancestry library edition from our local library at home when needed. Although it is *very* useful, it's a bit clunky - for a start default no. of records shown is 20. Also there does not appear to be any way of listing "hits" in ancestry trees - I had found a tree with family who settled in Canada and the US on the UK edition, but it took me a long time (and trying 3 different people) before I found the same tree. I also open the library edition in a different browser, so I can have both open at the same time but don't get (too) confused

Paul


Re: Revert to Snapshot

Mike Tate
 

Phew Sue!

 

While we are talking about backups, do you customise any of your Diagrams, Reports, Queries, Fact Sets, Property Box tabs, Records Window columns, Plugins, etc, etc?

If so then use the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings plugin to safeguard all those custom settings.

 

Mike

 


Re: Revert to Snapshot

Sue Paul
 

Mike

I decided not to wait and have just tried to set up a new project from the Gedcom file I created on Sunday and, unbelievably, it has worked perfectly. All my Media records and source citations have been restored. 

I do understand how lucky I have been. I always preach about regular data backups but have been guilty of failing to fully understand what I really needed to backup. 

I am extremely grateful for the help and support you have given and hope that my experience will be a warning to others.

Kind regards,

Sue

On Wed, 19 May 2021 at 10:14, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Oh dear! It seems you have more corruption than you first thought.

 

1.

Assuming you are running the latest free upgrade FH v6.2.7 then Snapshots are an integral feature of Projects.

( When you installed FH v6 on your new laptop did you update to that latest free version? )

However, Snapshots are only created when you open a Project and no more than once per day.

It is very strange that none of your Projects have any Snapshot commands.

 

2.

Your one-name study is no longer being recognised as a Project, but only as a standalone GEDCOM.

The top line of the main FH window says - Family Historian Gedcom - instead of - Family Historian Project – and it is not listed in the Projects Window.

That explains the greyed-out Backup commands that are only available for Projects.

 

Without a detailed listing of the folders and files inside My Documents\Family Historian Projects\ for your one-name study it is difficult to advise what needs fixing.

Unfortunately, it is tedious to attach screenshots to these Emails because we must wait for an administrator to review them before they are passed on.

However, you are certain that your GEDCOM data is compromised so fixing the files to restore it as a Project is pointless.

Without Snapshots the only option is to use your most recent Backup. Remind me, is that a GEDCOM Only or a Full Backup?

 

If GEDCOM Only then you will need to create an empty Project into which to restore the GEDCOM backup.

Then you must copy or move all the Media from the broken ‘Project’ Media folder to the new Project Media folder.

Do you know where that Media folder exists inside the Project folder structure?

 

Mike Tate

 


Re: Revert to Snapshot

Sue Paul
 

David

Thanks. I already backup my data to such a device, I just have not done a regular full backup of my Family Historian project. Lesson learned!

Kind regards,

Sue

On Wed, 19 May 2021 at 12:56, David Dewick <david.dewick@...> wrote:
Sue

I’m sure that with Mike’s help you will recover your projects. May I suggest that you invest in a USB connected external disk drive, and when everything is back to normal you regularly make a full backup to that, disconnecting it when not otherwise in use. You could also use it to take a copy of all your research now, as is, so that you have a known point to restart from if all goes wrong.

David 


On 19 May 2021, at 11:38, Sue Paul <suecarolpaul@...> wrote:


Mike

Thanks. Everything you say makes sense even if unwelcome. 

I thought I had installed the latest version of version 6 when I set up my new laptop but it is saying v6.0 on start up so it looks like I was wrong. Setting up a new laptop is so much easier these days that I have been lulled into a false sense of security and not checked out everything carefully enough. 

We are going away tomorrow for a short break so I think I will leave this problem until we return as set aside a day to work through my options carefully. Unfortunately, I only take a Gedcom only backup regularly and have learned my lesson. But I do have a large number of them over a long period to choose from.

I do understand the media file structure having learned my lesson having screwed that up in the past. 

Thanks again for all your help with this. I will try not to bother you again.

Kind regards,

Sue

On Wed, 19 May 2021 at 10:14, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Oh dear! It seems you have more corruption than you first thought.

 

1.

Assuming you are running the latest free upgrade FH v6.2.7 then Snapshots are an integral feature of Projects.

( When you installed FH v6 on your new laptop did you update to that latest free version? )

However, Snapshots are only created when you open a Project and no more than once per day.

It is very strange that none of your Projects have any Snapshot commands.

 

2.

Your one-name study is no longer being recognised as a Project, but only as a standalone GEDCOM.

The top line of the main FH window says - Family Historian Gedcom - instead of - Family Historian Project – and it is not listed in the Projects Window.

That explains the greyed-out Backup commands that are only available for Projects.

 

Without a detailed listing of the folders and files inside My Documents\Family Historian Projects\ for your one-name study it is difficult to advise what needs fixing.

Unfortunately, it is tedious to attach screenshots to these Emails because we must wait for an administrator to review them before they are passed on.

However, you are certain that your GEDCOM data is compromised so fixing the files to restore it as a Project is pointless.

Without Snapshots the only option is to use your most recent Backup. Remind me, is that a GEDCOM Only or a Full Backup?

 

If GEDCOM Only then you will need to create an empty Project into which to restore the GEDCOM backup.

Then you must copy or move all the Media from the broken ‘Project’ Media folder to the new Project Media folder.

Do you know where that Media folder exists inside the Project folder structure?

 

Mike Tate

 


Re: Revert to Snapshot

David Dewick
 

Sue

I’m sure that with Mike’s help you will recover your projects. May I suggest that you invest in a USB connected external disk drive, and when everything is back to normal you regularly make a full backup to that, disconnecting it when not otherwise in use. You could also use it to take a copy of all your research now, as is, so that you have a known point to restart from if all goes wrong.

David 


On 19 May 2021, at 11:38, Sue Paul <suecarolpaul@...> wrote:


Mike

Thanks. Everything you say makes sense even if unwelcome. 

I thought I had installed the latest version of version 6 when I set up my new laptop but it is saying v6.0 on start up so it looks like I was wrong. Setting up a new laptop is so much easier these days that I have been lulled into a false sense of security and not checked out everything carefully enough. 

We are going away tomorrow for a short break so I think I will leave this problem until we return as set aside a day to work through my options carefully. Unfortunately, I only take a Gedcom only backup regularly and have learned my lesson. But I do have a large number of them over a long period to choose from.

I do understand the media file structure having learned my lesson having screwed that up in the past. 

Thanks again for all your help with this. I will try not to bother you again.

Kind regards,

Sue

On Wed, 19 May 2021 at 10:14, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Oh dear! It seems you have more corruption than you first thought.

 

1.

Assuming you are running the latest free upgrade FH v6.2.7 then Snapshots are an integral feature of Projects.

( When you installed FH v6 on your new laptop did you update to that latest free version? )

However, Snapshots are only created when you open a Project and no more than once per day.

It is very strange that none of your Projects have any Snapshot commands.

 

2.

Your one-name study is no longer being recognised as a Project, but only as a standalone GEDCOM.

The top line of the main FH window says - Family Historian Gedcom - instead of - Family Historian Project – and it is not listed in the Projects Window.

That explains the greyed-out Backup commands that are only available for Projects.

 

Without a detailed listing of the folders and files inside My Documents\Family Historian Projects\ for your one-name study it is difficult to advise what needs fixing.

Unfortunately, it is tedious to attach screenshots to these Emails because we must wait for an administrator to review them before they are passed on.

However, you are certain that your GEDCOM data is compromised so fixing the files to restore it as a Project is pointless.

Without Snapshots the only option is to use your most recent Backup. Remind me, is that a GEDCOM Only or a Full Backup?

 

If GEDCOM Only then you will need to create an empty Project into which to restore the GEDCOM backup.

Then you must copy or move all the Media from the broken ‘Project’ Media folder to the new Project Media folder.

Do you know where that Media folder exists inside the Project folder structure?

 

Mike Tate

 


Re: Revert to Snapshot

Sue Paul
 

Mike

Thanks. Everything you say makes sense even if unwelcome. 

I thought I had installed the latest version of version 6 when I set up my new laptop but it is saying v6.0 on start up so it looks like I was wrong. Setting up a new laptop is so much easier these days that I have been lulled into a false sense of security and not checked out everything carefully enough. 

We are going away tomorrow for a short break so I think I will leave this problem until we return as set aside a day to work through my options carefully. Unfortunately, I only take a Gedcom only backup regularly and have learned my lesson. But I do have a large number of them over a long period to choose from.

I do understand the media file structure having learned my lesson having screwed that up in the past. 

Thanks again for all your help with this. I will try not to bother you again.

Kind regards,

Sue

On Wed, 19 May 2021 at 10:14, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Oh dear! It seems you have more corruption than you first thought.

 

1.

Assuming you are running the latest free upgrade FH v6.2.7 then Snapshots are an integral feature of Projects.

( When you installed FH v6 on your new laptop did you update to that latest free version? )

However, Snapshots are only created when you open a Project and no more than once per day.

It is very strange that none of your Projects have any Snapshot commands.

 

2.

Your one-name study is no longer being recognised as a Project, but only as a standalone GEDCOM.

The top line of the main FH window says - Family Historian Gedcom - instead of - Family Historian Project – and it is not listed in the Projects Window.

That explains the greyed-out Backup commands that are only available for Projects.

 

Without a detailed listing of the folders and files inside My Documents\Family Historian Projects\ for your one-name study it is difficult to advise what needs fixing.

Unfortunately, it is tedious to attach screenshots to these Emails because we must wait for an administrator to review them before they are passed on.

However, you are certain that your GEDCOM data is compromised so fixing the files to restore it as a Project is pointless.

Without Snapshots the only option is to use your most recent Backup. Remind me, is that a GEDCOM Only or a Full Backup?

 

If GEDCOM Only then you will need to create an empty Project into which to restore the GEDCOM backup.

Then you must copy or move all the Media from the broken ‘Project’ Media folder to the new Project Media folder.

Do you know where that Media folder exists inside the Project folder structure?

 

Mike Tate

 


Re: Revert to Snapshot

Mike Tate
 

Oh dear! It seems you have more corruption than you first thought.

 

1.

Assuming you are running the latest free upgrade FH v6.2.7 then Snapshots are an integral feature of Projects.

( When you installed FH v6 on your new laptop did you update to that latest free version? )

However, Snapshots are only created when you open a Project and no more than once per day.

It is very strange that none of your Projects have any Snapshot commands.

 

2.

Your one-name study is no longer being recognised as a Project, but only as a standalone GEDCOM.

The top line of the main FH window says - Family Historian Gedcom - instead of - Family Historian Project – and it is not listed in the Projects Window.

That explains the greyed-out Backup commands that are only available for Projects.

 

Without a detailed listing of the folders and files inside My Documents\Family Historian Projects\ for your one-name study it is difficult to advise what needs fixing.

Unfortunately, it is tedious to attach screenshots to these Emails because we must wait for an administrator to review them before they are passed on.

However, you are certain that your GEDCOM data is compromised so fixing the files to restore it as a Project is pointless.

Without Snapshots the only option is to use your most recent Backup. Remind me, is that a GEDCOM Only or a Full Backup?

 

If GEDCOM Only then you will need to create an empty Project into which to restore the GEDCOM backup.

Then you must copy or move all the Media from the broken ‘Project’ Media folder to the new Project Media folder.

Do you know where that Media folder exists inside the Project folder structure?

 

Mike Tate

 

321 - 340 of 4101