Date   

Suggested Method and Query for labelling ancestors as confirmed DNA lineage

Helen Dignum
 

I have been working through my DNA matches to confirm my ancestral lines.  I wanted to be able to view an ancestral chart labelled with who had been confirmed by DNA and those not yet confirmed. This helps to focus my DNA analysis of lines not yet confirmed.

This method works for me: improvements and comments welcomed.

1.Research the DNA match, with due diligence for sources, to see how the match fits into your ancestral tree in FH.
2. Add the line culminating in the DNA match to your FH tree. Label the final person, source of the DNA with the same name as the DNA match eg ABC12, or if their actual name is known, keep the DNA match name as an alias.
3. Create a custom fact attribute “DNA Match” (or you could adapt the extended fact set DNA Markers)
4. Create a specific DNA Match fact for this match on ABC1’s facts.  eg “DNA Match  ggfather A & ggmother B,  ABC12 and me, 34 cM, 2 segments”
5. Create a source eg DNA Match on ancestry with the same details and any additional extra details eg shared matches, date reviewed etc. I like to include the shared ancestors, and the name of the match and myself as an aide memoire.
6.
Copy the DNA match for ABC1 fact to clipboard.
7. Use the tool “how related” to display yourself and the match ABC12 in a diagram.
8. Paste the DNA Match fact on the ascending ancestor in each generation up to the shared ancestors, and down again to yourself.
9.Create a custom query: confirmed DNA lineage.
       Add columns including Individual, record ID and attribute DNA match.

relationship  =Relationship([Starting Person”],,TEXT,1)

Add rows:

Add Relations:  if an ancestor of [“starting person”]. Include original individual

Exclude if %INDI._ATTR-DNA_MATCH% is null

Run this query to show a list of your ancestors confirmed by DNA matches.

10. To display graphically: display your all ancestors chart, starting with yourself.

Edit diagram/Selections and Marks/Set clear marks using query/your custom DNA match query         (last part needs to be edited to match your own DNA match query title

Your ancestry chart now displays with the DNA confirmed individuals highlighted in yellow. I found this very useful to see which ancestral lines I hadn’t checked yet.



Re: Sources and linking media

Mike Tate
 

Heather,

Listing the steps you take is extremely useful.

The first steps 1. to 6. are excellent as they explain exactly what buttons and fields you used.

The second steps 1. to 4. are unfortunately somewhat vague.

e.g.

You talk about a Property Box and ADD menu to create new Source.

But the Property Box Add Fact menu adds Facts not Sources.

Later you mention a new Fact but nothing earlier has created a new Fact.

Then you add Media to this individual, but how, where?

If you could describe that second set of steps in the same detail as the first set then we would understand what you are doing.

 

You seem to be ignoring the Show Media button that we both advised you should use to add Media to your ‘lumped’ Sources.


Re: Sources and linking media

Heather Williams
 

Lorna and Mike
Back to going round in circles. I am now confused about adding media to a Fact rather than a Source. What happens if I do that? I appear to have already unknowingly done that sometimes as I have found a small list of  All Fact media. I can also find a list of All Source media, another one for All Individual Media and another for All Family Media. There is also a very tiny list of New Unlinked Media. I am beginning to wish I hadn't tried adding anything anywhere.

I do feel embarrassed at my inability to get to grips with this but perhaps if I tell you the basic processes I have followed you could understand where I am at. These are the steps I took:
1. Open property box for individual
2. Add Fact from dropdown list e.g.Census
3. Fill in details in fileds e.g. Date, Age etc.
4.In Source Pane click on Add Citation.
5. Choose from list of Sources in new window (or add new Citation). This list shows all my individual sources and also my lumped ones e.g. 1841 census.
6. In Where within Source type in census reference, and Text From Source or Notes if any.

This is the stage most of my lumped entries were at and I was ok with that until I got started on adding media. If I could get back to this stage I intend leaving all lumped sources alone as I think this is adequate for my purposes. I am happy to have a very basic tree for most of my records and the media I want to add is generally for direct lines which will interest other family members.

My original question was how to find a list of all the media I had added so that I could work my way through it and one by one amend the relevant records. Then came the vexed question on how I was going to do that because whatever method I tried I seemed to hit snags with reports or media showing on wrong records. I then still didn't understand the concept of lumped sources but I can assure I now do!

I came up with a possibly convoluted way to deal with the amendments and I would like to run that past you in case there is a glaring mistake in my thinking or an easier way.
1. Open Property box and using ADD menu create new Source for individual (not Lumped) e.g.Census. I do realise that duplicates this fact but I can then:
2. Copy the information from the original Fact for that census into the new Fact.
3. Attach the media to this individual only.
4. Delete the original census Fact.

I had tried this out on my copy file and it appeared to work. My next question was if I attached the media to the individual were the original links still in place or would I need to amend each of the linked individuals as well?

I do hope that makes sense and that you can answer it for me. Apologies if I am being obtuse.
Heather


Re: Merging GED's

Mike Tate
 

Hi Richard,

Start with the guidance in the FHUG Knowledge Base ‘Merge/Compare File’

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/merge-compare-file/

 

FH automatically tries to synchronise duplicated records.

 

The key points are:

Make sure both Projects containing the GEDCOM files are fully tidied and FH compatible without any UDF, etc.

When using the Merge dialogue ensure that every tab is reviewed otherwise you will get lots of duplication.

 

Mike Tate

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Clark via groups.io
Sent: 08 March 2021 10:25
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Merging GED's

 

Hi..Can I have some guidance as to merging 2 different .GED files when there may be some duplication.

regards Rich C


Merging GED's

Richard Clark
 

Hi..Can I have some guidance as to merging 2 different .GED files when there may be some duplication.

regards Rich C


Re: Import - multiple copes of media?

Victor Markham
 

Only 3 generations I have more than that!

Victor

On 8 Mar 2021, at 09:42, John <johngunson@...> wrote:
Hi Sally & Victor,

Project backups don't have to go to the hard drive do they? I send my back-ups to a USB stick by default. I keep 3 generations, so you can tell how old I am, as that is how I was taught on main-frames!!

John

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> on behalf of Victor Markham via groups.io <victor@...>
Sent: 07 March 2021 09:17
To: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Import - multiple copes of media?
 

Sally

When you back up a project folder it is saved on your hard drive. The more timesyou back this up they are all saved and this fills ylour hard drive so I would delete the earlier back ups. I normally just keep one previopis back up

Victor

On 07/03/2021 9:11 am, Sally Lloyd wrote:
Thank you Mike, I must say your explanation really surprised me!   A couple more questions. When the Project is backed up will I get another copy of the media folder? If so it's going to quickly fill up my hard drive. If I imported my tree into another program and then used that to make the Gedcom file would that help?   I would really like to be able to see all the links to an image in one place. 
Like Heather I was thinking of changing from a citation lumper into a citation splitter but I'm beginning to wonder if it's just going to be too much work on top of trying to sort out the media problem and whether I should choose another program altogether. 

I'll certainly report to support, thanks for the link.
Thanks again for your help,
Sally


Re: Import - multiple copes of media?

David Hodgson-Brown
 

A lot of cloud backups allow versioning of files which allows you to go back to any date /time so you don't need to keep multiple copies. 


From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> on behalf of Peter Atkinson <patkinson1943@...>
Sent: Monday, March 8, 2021 9:48:50 AM
To: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Import - multiple copes of media?
 
When you keep ''3 generations'' it is of course computer speak for ''3 files'' not generations as in family/people lines.
Have to remember some are not totally computer literate.
Peter.

On Mon, 8 Mar 2021, 09:42 John, <johngunson@...> wrote:
Hi Sally & Victor,

Project backups don't have to go to the hard drive do they? I send my back-ups to a USB stick by default. I keep 3 generations, so you can tell how old I am, as that is how I was taught on main-frames!!

John

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> on behalf of Victor Markham via groups.io <victor=markham.me.uk@groups.io>
Sent: 07 March 2021 09:17
To: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Import - multiple copes of media?
 

Sally

When you back up a project folder it is saved on your hard drive. The more timesyou back this up they are all saved and this fills ylour hard drive so I would delete the earlier back ups. I normally just keep one previopis back up

Victor

On 07/03/2021 9:11 am, Sally Lloyd wrote:
Thank you Mike, I must say your explanation really surprised me!   A couple more questions. When the Project is backed up will I get another copy of the media folder? If so it's going to quickly fill up my hard drive. If I imported my tree into another program and then used that to make the Gedcom file would that help?   I would really like to be able to see all the links to an image in one place. 
Like Heather I was thinking of changing from a citation lumper into a citation splitter but I'm beginning to wonder if it's just going to be too much work on top of trying to sort out the media problem and whether I should choose another program altogether. 

I'll certainly report to support, thanks for the link.
Thanks again for your help,
Sally


Re: Import - multiple copes of media?

Peter Atkinson
 

When you keep ''3 generations'' it is of course computer speak for ''3 files'' not generations as in family/people lines.
Have to remember some are not totally computer literate.
Peter.

On Mon, 8 Mar 2021, 09:42 John, <johngunson@...> wrote:
Hi Sally & Victor,

Project backups don't have to go to the hard drive do they? I send my back-ups to a USB stick by default. I keep 3 generations, so you can tell how old I am, as that is how I was taught on main-frames!!

John

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> on behalf of Victor Markham via groups.io <victor=markham.me.uk@groups.io>
Sent: 07 March 2021 09:17
To: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Import - multiple copes of media?
 

Sally

When you back up a project folder it is saved on your hard drive. The more timesyou back this up they are all saved and this fills ylour hard drive so I would delete the earlier back ups. I normally just keep one previopis back up

Victor

On 07/03/2021 9:11 am, Sally Lloyd wrote:
Thank you Mike, I must say your explanation really surprised me!   A couple more questions. When the Project is backed up will I get another copy of the media folder? If so it's going to quickly fill up my hard drive. If I imported my tree into another program and then used that to make the Gedcom file would that help?   I would really like to be able to see all the links to an image in one place. 
Like Heather I was thinking of changing from a citation lumper into a citation splitter but I'm beginning to wonder if it's just going to be too much work on top of trying to sort out the media problem and whether I should choose another program altogether. 

I'll certainly report to support, thanks for the link.
Thanks again for your help,
Sally


Re: Sources and linking media

Jayne
 

Hi Heather,
I have been in the same position as you. I had linked my media (photos of census) to the source on the source tab. I make one source for each household and the name reflects the head of household. In the early days I used ASources? and the program added the source to each individual family member for their residence, census and occupation facts. When it came to printing reports there were multiple images showing for the same census record in each household member report. I realised then that it would suit me better to change my media "source" links to "citation" links.

I keep my media in a folder called media and then subfolders called "census images" /births / Marriages / Deaths / Military etc.  I added a new folder to my "census images" folder and called it "relink as citation"   Then I cut and pasted all my census images into this new folder. When you delete the source link to your media it does take away links to all the family members. Next, I had to work my way through relinking all these images. I would cut and paste one image back into the original "census image" folder - this grows as the relink as citations gets emptier but it was how I kept track of what I had completed. Because my images were originally in my "media" / census images" / folder, the new one will appear as linked as ok on the media tab. All the other links will of course break. As you work through them, on the media tab when you check where the "file" is, you point it to the "media" / census images" /

I didn't actually get finished relinking all my media. Just make sure you only link the image to one fact, maybe census, or residence because you will get multiple images in reports if you link the image to more than one fact for a person.  However, you can and should cite the source (without image) to the other facts.

I agree with Robert that the relinking process is a lot easier in V7 when you use the new source template function. There is a lot of work involved to relink everything but once you have set up your template and start doing a few, it gets quicker. I made a few notes to myself to remind me how to do the source template / citation thing. I made sure that one person on my tree had their census all linked as I wanted and I liked how the reports showed only one census image for them etc. so if my memory fails I can click back to this person and see how I did it for them and copy it.  If you "make" a new source template for each source you have at the moment on your "sources" tab, the old "source" complete with the old image link can be deleted, so it's worth waiting to make a new source for each old one and linking as citations instead of wasting the time of removing image links to your original sources which are going to be deleted when you use templates.


Re: Import - multiple copes of media?

John
 

Hi Sally & Victor,

Project backups don't have to go to the hard drive do they? I send my back-ups to a USB stick by default. I keep 3 generations, so you can tell how old I am, as that is how I was taught on main-frames!!

John


From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> on behalf of Victor Markham via groups.io <victor@...>
Sent: 07 March 2021 09:17
To: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Import - multiple copes of media?
 

Sally

When you back up a project folder it is saved on your hard drive. The more timesyou back this up they are all saved and this fills ylour hard drive so I would delete the earlier back ups. I normally just keep one previopis back up

Victor

On 07/03/2021 9:11 am, Sally Lloyd wrote:
Thank you Mike, I must say your explanation really surprised me!   A couple more questions. When the Project is backed up will I get another copy of the media folder? If so it's going to quickly fill up my hard drive. If I imported my tree into another program and then used that to make the Gedcom file would that help?   I would really like to be able to see all the links to an image in one place. 
Like Heather I was thinking of changing from a citation lumper into a citation splitter but I'm beginning to wonder if it's just going to be too much work on top of trying to sort out the media problem and whether I should choose another program altogether. 

I'll certainly report to support, thanks for the link.
Thanks again for your help,
Sally


Re: Gedcom help

Helena Coney
 

It was the interface – simple that attracted me to TV

 

Lets hope they get back to us soon, I still haven’t received a reply to my post on their forum from Tuesday and I’ve since sent them an Email

 

 

Helena

 

The bladon family history study

Registered with the Guild of One-Name Studies

https://bladonfamilyhistory.wordpress.com
 

 

 

From: Mike Tate
Sent: 06 March 2021 10:54
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Gedcom help

 

Helena,

The FH PDF Report problems in FH V7 are well known and the subject of much discussion in the FHUG Forums.

https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/

“V7 PDF creation very slow, creating huge files”

“No searchable text in PDF reports”

 

I have installed the TV Trial version which has all the features of the Premium & Basic editions for 30 days.

Its user interface is quite neat but there are many GEDCOM compatibility issues that I will be reporting.

 

Give them a chance to fix the missing ‘Details’ problem before spending a lot of time re-entering the data.

The ‘Details’ are omitted from every Fact and not just Occupation which is a major oversight.

 

Mike

 

 


locked Re: Ancestry subscription discount

Victor Markham
 

Thanks for posting this link

My auto renewal was due to take place last week. IO have world wide and the annual cpst would be £180. I cancelled it.

Waited for a response from Ancestry. Nothing came. looked at the website. They were asking for what would amount to £200 .

Using your link I got the renewal for £80! a saving of £100!

Victor

On 02/03/2021 6:47 pm, Paul Reeve wrote:

I am pleased to say that the link has worked for me, I have just purchased a “new” membership for £60 instead of the £120 renewal.

 

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/offers/sub ... e+External for anyone who doesn’t want to trawl back through all the messages 😉

 

Paul


Virus-free. www.avast.com


Re: Adding Pools Column to Individuals records Window

Robert
 

Thank you Mike, that is incredibly useful!

On Sunday, March 7, 2021, 19:34, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

In case Geoff does not see this, here is his corrected expression:

 

=Text(TextIf(IsTrue(IsRelativeOf(Record(3,"I"),%INDI%)) and IsTrue(RelationCode(Record(3,"I"),%INDI%,SPOUSE_START,1) = 0),"Johnson","") . TextIf(IsTrue(IsRelativeOf(Record(4,"I"),%INDI%)) and IsTrue(RelationCode(Record(4,"I"),%INDI%,SPOUSE_START,1) = 0),"Harris","") . TextIf(IsTrue(IsRelativeOf(Record(143,"I"),%INDI%)) and IsTrue(RelationCode(Record(143,"I"),%INDI%,SPOUSE_START,1) = 0),"Stevenson","") . TextIf(IsTrue(IsRelativeOf(Record(128,"I"),%INDI%)) and IsTrue(RelationCode(Record(128,"I"),%INDI%,SPOUSE_START,1) = 0),"Taylor",""))

 

But you will have to make several substitutions.

Firstly, the surnames of each grandparent branch must be replaced.

Secondly, the Record Id for each grandparent’s Individual record must be replaced.

e.g.

In the above expression Record Id 3 (in two places) relates to the Johnson grandparent branch.

Record Id 4 (in two places) relates to the Harris grandparent branch.

Similarly for Record Id 143 and 128 and Stevenson and Taylor branches,

 

Mike Tate


Re: Sources and linking media

Mike Tate
 

I’m still not convinced you fully understand some of the concepts.

 

Adding photos to the Media tab of Individual records is nothing to do with Source Citation ‘splitter’ or ‘lumper’ Methods 1 or 2.

 

If you don’t want to delete your ‘lumped’ Sources then you must add the document Media to the ‘lumped’ Citations.

You cannot attach the document Media for those Sources using ‘splitter’ Method 1 as that requires the ‘lumped’ Source records to be deleted.

That is what I started describing yesterday: Delete all the ‘lumped’ Sources and start afresh with ‘splitter’ Sources.

But you don’t want to delete the ‘lumped’ Sources, so you cannot use the ‘splitter’ method. They are mutually incompatible. It is one or the other.

 

If the only problem with adding Media to the Citations is the repetition in Reports then you are not alone.

( I assume you have removed all the Media attached to the ‘lumped’ Source records. )

I believe that is a fault in FH and others have reported that repetition problem to Calico Pie.

If you could report the problem too then it might get fixed sooner rather than later.

Use http://www.calico-pie.com/osticket/open.php to raise the support ticket.

 

Mike Tate

 


Re: Sources and linking media

Heather Williams
 

Mike,
Thanks again for responding so promptly. I do think I have understood the difference between Citations and Sources, just not how to enter them the right way to give the results I want. When you say how to enter media through the source pane, that is exactly what I have done for many years, which is why I had never discovered the method of using the ADD button to enter a source. All photos have been added that way and I never had a problem with them connecting to other records but of course they were individual so automatically added by Splitter method.That is why I was surprised when my census images all went wrong but at that stage I hadn't realised it was because they were added to Lumped sources.

I was happy with the initial thought that if I worked my way through the recent additions of media to Sources and changed them to Citation it would all be ok but then I realised I had repetition on reports. Since then I have been going round in circles. I don't want to delete all lumped sources as that is a massive task and most of my lumped sources only have enough information for me to find the records. I just want to (1) unlink my wrong entries and (2) attach the media using Splitter method. That sounded straightforward to me  or am I wrong?

Heather


Re: Adding Pools Column to Individuals records Window

Mike Tate
 

In case Geoff does not see this, here is his corrected expression:

 

=Text(TextIf(IsTrue(IsRelativeOf(Record(3,"I"),%INDI%)) and IsTrue(RelationCode(Record(3,"I"),%INDI%,SPOUSE_START,1) = 0),"Johnson","") . TextIf(IsTrue(IsRelativeOf(Record(4,"I"),%INDI%)) and IsTrue(RelationCode(Record(4,"I"),%INDI%,SPOUSE_START,1) = 0),"Harris","") . TextIf(IsTrue(IsRelativeOf(Record(143,"I"),%INDI%)) and IsTrue(RelationCode(Record(143,"I"),%INDI%,SPOUSE_START,1) = 0),"Stevenson","") . TextIf(IsTrue(IsRelativeOf(Record(128,"I"),%INDI%)) and IsTrue(RelationCode(Record(128,"I"),%INDI%,SPOUSE_START,1) = 0),"Taylor",""))

 

But you will have to make several substitutions.

Firstly, the surnames of each grandparent branch must be replaced.

Secondly, the Record Id for each grandparent’s Individual record must be replaced.

e.g.

In the above expression Record Id 3 (in two places) relates to the Johnson grandparent branch.

Record Id 4 (in two places) relates to the Harris grandparent branch.

Similarly for Record Id 143 and 128 and Stevenson and Taylor branches,

 

Mike Tate


Re: Adding Pools Column to Individuals records Window

Robert
 

Geoff, any chance you can post the final working version for the grandparents please - I can’t get my head round it all!?

Many thanks,

On Sunday, March 7, 2021, 13:52, Geoff Johnson <geoff@...> wrote:

Thank you Gentlemen.  Just what the doctor ordered.
Having merged three projects into one, I've now got a quick reference column headed Family.  This tells me which of my original projects an individual is/was related to.
Inevitably I'm left with quite a lot of un-linked individuals needing dates and relationships to be gathered though.
Better get back to some proper work!
Thanks again.
Geoff Johnson


Re: Adding Pools Column to Individuals records Window

Geoff Johnson
 

Thank you Gentlemen.  Just what the doctor ordered.
Having merged three projects into one, I've now got a quick reference column headed Family.  This tells me which of my original projects an individual is/was related to.
Inevitably I'm left with quite a lot of un-linked individuals needing dates and relationships to be gathered though.
Better get back to some proper work!
Thanks again.
Geoff Johnson


Re: Sources and linking media

Lorna Craig
 

Heather, just one more addition to what Mike has said:  

Reverting to you previous question where you asked   “...what happens to their links I had set up e.g. to all family members on a census. Do I have to re-enter all those when I link the media back in whichever way I decide is my new method?”

 

If you have decided to keep your existing Method 2 sources for the time being, you can safely unlink the media from those sources but the links (citations) between the sources and the individuals will all still be there.   It’s just a case of unlinking each Media record from a source and re-linking it to one or more of those existing citations.  This can be done in the small ‘Media for Fact’ dialogue which Mike described in his final paragraph.  If you tick the boxes in that dialogue to display both Source Media and Citation Media you can unlink from source and re-link to citation.  Bear in mind that there may be several facts with identical citations (e.g. identical marriage certificate citations might be used for the bride’s and groom’s occupations, their ages, their father’s names and occupations)  but for your purposes it would probably be sufficient to link the image to the main fact (in this example, the marriage event).

 

Good luck!

Lorna

 

From: Mike Tate
Sent: 07 March 2021 11:42
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Sources and linking media

 

Heather,

In the middle of your reply you say:

“Perhaps the Knowledge Base information on the two methods could point out that images should never be attached at all to citations for lumped sources.”

That suggests you have not completely grasped the distinction between Citations and Sources.

 

Sources are the ‘lumped’ records you have for an entire collection of say the 1891 Census or all Birth Certificates.

If you attach Media via their Media tab then they will get reported against everyone linked via Citations to that Source.

 

Citations are connected to the facts such as Census or Birth and there are many Citations linked to one Source record.

Media can be attached to specific Citations so they only get reported with the person’s Census or Birth facts.

 

In FH V6, open the Property Box and ensure the yellow Sources For pane is displayed.

Select a fact that has a ‘lumped’ Source Citation which will appear in the Sources For pane.

Near the bottom right of that yellow pane click the Show Media button whose icon is a pair of photos.

In that dialogue, you can add Media to either the ‘lumped’ Source record or to the local Citation.

If you choose the Citation then the Media will only appear in Reports involving the person currently shown in the Property Box.

 

I hope that helps.

 

Mike Tate

 

 


Re: Tree disappearance

Mike Tate
 

Chris,

I had to ask to double-check, because I cannot see what you can see.

Upgrading to FH V7 should not cause Projects to vanish.

Sorry you are having to start over.

Mike

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of shelmerdine78@...
Sent: 07 March 2021 12:13
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Tree disappearance

 

Hi Mike,
That’s the problem, It has disappeared from the project window, which now only shows the imported tree & the sample project. I have recently upgraded to FH7, could that have any bearing? Regardless, there were only a few names so it won’t be too much trouble to start again from scratch. Thanks for your assistance.
Regards
Chris

1801 - 1820 of 5092