Date   

Re: Trimming My Family Tree In FH

Lorna Craig
 

Trevor, the Relationship to Root column is a standard column in the Records Window.  There is no need to set it up as a customised column.  However the more remote relationships (for example via in-laws of in-laws) are not shown so it would not help with Victor’s more distant connections.

 

Victor, as Trevor has said, the How Related Tool does exactly what you want.  The results can be displayed either graphically or in report form, and if two people are connected in more than one way it can show up to 9 relationships.

 

Lorna

 

From: Trevor Rix
Sent: 14 March 2020 08:52
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Trimming My Family Tree In FH

 

@Victor

In Family Historian, have you tried using Tools menu > How Related ... ?

Also, in the Records Window it is useful to set up the customised column Relationship To Root.

 


Re: Trimming My Family Tree In FH

Brian Horridge
 

Another very useful FH function where you have a large number of people in your FH database (and a lot of separate groups that are not yet connected)  is the "RelationPool" function which gives an incremental number to show separate groups.  It is not a fixed number (like the ID number) but is dynamic and is effectively created when you start FH (or re-calculated when you link 2 separate groups together).

The expression to use in columns / queries is =RelationPool()       I have it as a column in my main Records window and in most of my custom queries.

Brian

On 14/03/2020 08:52, Trevor Rix wrote:
@Victor

In Family Historian, have you tried using Tools menu > How Related ... ?

Also, in the Records Window it is useful to set up the customised column Relationship To Root.


------------------------------------------------------------------------
AVG logo <https://www.avg.com/internet-security>

This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
www.avg.com <https://www.avg.com/internet-security>


<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>


Re: Trimming My Family Tree In FH

Trevor Rix
 

@Victor

In Family Historian, have you tried using Tools menu > How Related ... ?

Also, in the Records Window it is useful to set up the customised column Relationship To Root.


Re: Trimming My Family Tree In FH

Victor Markham
 

Well said Lorna

I have close on 80,000 names and more than half are not directly related

One part of a spouse will not be directly related but their children will be.

Only yesterday I was working on my tree and added a new name to an unrelated individual. That new addition changed connections with other names. Though still not directly related it moved things a bit closer.

There is nothing wrong with retaining all the names you have. You have done the research and even if there is no direct relationship there is still a 'link' somewhere.

FH is the software I work on and from time to time I copy the tree details to FTM. Unlike FH FTM tells me the connection to the person on the tree. One example says ' 1st cousin 2 times removed of husband of 3rd cousin. That alone tells m the link even if I have to work it out. I just wish it gave names in addition to the connection details

Victor

On 12/03/2020 7:45 pm, Lorna Craig via Groups.Io wrote:

Chris,

Before you do anything, it's worth noting that some FH users have huge files with tens of thousands of people in them.  FH is very good at handling large numbers of records and it will do no harm to leave all those distant cousins in your file.  Personally I would never delete any research.  However if you really want to delete some of them do make a copy of your entire project first in case you make any mistakes.  I would recommend keeping it as an archive anyway, because it might be useful one day.

In the Records window, Individuals tab, you can click on the heading of the Relationship to Root column to sort the records by relationship to you (assuming you are the file root).  You can then see just how many of each type you have and, if you really want to remove some groups, they can be selected in the Records Window and added to a Named List.  (Multiple records can be selected at once by holding down the Alt key while clicking the first and last in the group).

Remember that in addition to deleting those Individual records you will also need to delete any Note Records, Multimedia Records, Source Records, Repository Records and Place records which would be left unused after the deletion of the Individuals.  Use File > Split Tree Helper and select Delete all Individual records found by the Individual Query below, and use the Named List Members query.  In the 'Other Records' section set all the options to Delete ... Records left with no links to them.  Unfortunately the Split Tree Helper does not delete unused Place Records so you will need to do that afterwards by selecting  any Place records with no links (in the Records Window) and adding them to a Named List for deletion.

Lorna

List > Delete Named List Records. 

On 12/03/2020 18:39, Chris Wake wrote:

When I first start researching my Family History 20 years ago I put no limitations on who I should include in my Tree. Subsequently I now have over 5000 individuals who I am related to in one way or another. This has become unmanageable and makes research harder. What I’d like to do is trim my tree by restriction my “sideways” ancestors (I’m sure there is a correct genealogical term for this but I don’t know it) to 3 units. At the moment I have 4th,5th,6th , 7th cousins X Removed etc. included but would like to restrict this to a maximum of 3rd cousins. Is there a function / value in Family Historian that will give me the “sideways” value so I can write a query listing all 4th + cousins in my tree, and so remove them all.

 

Thanks

 

Chris


Re: Hourglass Chart

Mike Tate
 

Try the standard Ancestor and Descendant Diagram icon from the main toolbar.

Alternatively, use View > Standard Diagram Types > Bow Tie – All.

When you say print do you mean actually print on to paper?

 

With Diagram open use Diagram > Save Diagram As > PDF File (.pdf) and accept the defaults to produce a PDF file that can be printed usually on one page.

 

There is a File > Print command but you must get the paper size, page boundaries, and scale correct to fit it all on one page.

 

Further advice is in the FHUG Knowledge Base.

 

Regards, Mike Tate

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of kiwipete
Sent: 13 March 2020 01:22
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Hourglass Chart

 

Can I actually print what used be called an Hourglass Chart.  From memory I think it prints a chart left to right for the main family members and then a list of ancestors and Descendants,

Sorry bit vague was a long long while ago that I saw one.


Virus-free. www.avast.com


Re: Trimming My Family Tree In FH

Lorna Craig
 

Yes, sorry! I meant to say the Shft key.

 

From: Mike Tate
Sent: 12 March 2020 19:52
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Trimming My Family Tree In FH

 

BTW: I think Lorna meant hold down the Shft key while clicking the first and last in the group, not the Alt key.

 

_._,_._,_

 


Re: Trimming My Family Tree In FH

John Hanson
 

Chris

My personal file, which includes my small one-name study, which I started nearly 40 years ago now has 25,000 in it
I also do the research for the Halsted Trust (an educational family history charity) and that file has nearly 40,000 in it with over 700 John Halstead’s
You just get used to filtering the data and I make extensive use of flags to identify branches of the tree

 

Regards
John Hanson - researching the Halstead/Holstead/Alstead names
Researcher, the Halsted Trust - https://www.halsted.org.uk
Research website - https://www.halstedresearch.org.uk

2021 Family History Conference - https://www.elizabethanancestors.org.uk

 

 

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris Wake
Sent: 12 March 2020 18:40
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Trimming My Family Tree In FH

 

When I first start researching my Family History 20 years ago I put no limitations on who I should include in my Tree. Subsequently I now have over 5000 individuals who I am related to in one way or another. This has become unmanageable and makes research harder. What I’d like to do is trim my tree by restriction my “sideways” ancestors (I’m sure there is a correct genealogical term for this but I don’t know it) to 3 units. At the moment I have 4th,5th,6th , 7th cousins X Removed etc. included but would like to restrict this to a maximum of 3rd cousins. Is there a function / value in Family Historian that will give me the “sideways” value so I can write a query listing all 4th + cousins in my tree, and so remove them all.

 

Thanks

 

Chris


Hourglass Chart

kiwipete
 

Can I actually print what used be called an Hourglass Chart.  From memory I think it prints a chart left to right for the main family members and then a list of ancestors and Descendants,

Sorry bit vague was a long long while ago that I saw one.


Re: Trimming My Family Tree In FH

Mike Tate
 

BTW: I think Lorna meant hold down the Shft key while clicking the first and last in the group, not the Alt key.

 

(Multiple records can be selected at once by holding down the Alt key while clicking the first and last in the group).


Virus-free. www.avast.com


Re: Trimming My Family Tree In FH

Mike Tate
 

Chris,

It would be handy to know in what ways it has become unmanageable and makes research harder.

 

I suggest you take a Full Project Backup beforehand just in case you delete too much or wish to retrieve a branch later.

 

To discover your more remote relatives try using View > Standard Queries > All Relatives which has a Relationship to Root column.

The Records Window Individuals tab usually has a Relationship to Root column too, so why not use that.

Click on that column heading to sort into order and all those who are so distant they have no relationship will be listed first.

Those starting 3rd cousin…, 4th cousin..., etc, will be further down.

Just select the ones you want to delete and add them to a Named List so you can use List > Delete Named List Records.

 

Regards, Mike Tate

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris Wake
Sent: 12 March 2020 18:40
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Trimming My Family Tree In FH

 

When I first start researching my Family History 20 years ago I put no limitations on who I should include in my Tree. Subsequently I now have over 5000 individuals who I am related to in one way or another. This has become unmanageable and makes research harder. What I’d like to do is trim my tree by restriction my “sideways” ancestors (I’m sure there is a correct genealogical term for this but I don’t know it) to 3 units. At the moment I have 4th,5th,6th , 7th cousins X Removed etc. included but would like to restrict this to a maximum of 3rd cousins. Is there a function / value in Family Historian that will give me the “sideways” value so I can write a query listing all 4th + cousins in my tree, and so remove them all.

 

Thanks

 

Chris

 


Virus-free. www.avast.com


Re: Trimming My Family Tree In FH

Lorna Craig
 

Chris,

Before you do anything, it's worth noting that some FH users have huge files with tens of thousands of people in them.  FH is very good at handling large numbers of records and it will do no harm to leave all those distant cousins in your file.  Personally I would never delete any research.  However if you really want to delete some of them do make a copy of your entire project first in case you make any mistakes.  I would recommend keeping it as an archive anyway, because it might be useful one day.

In the Records window, Individuals tab, you can click on the heading of the Relationship to Root column to sort the records by relationship to you (assuming you are the file root).  You can then see just how many of each type you have and, if you really want to remove some groups, they can be selected in the Records Window and added to a Named List.  (Multiple records can be selected at once by holding down the Alt key while clicking the first and last in the group).

Remember that in addition to deleting those Individual records you will also need to delete any Note Records, Multimedia Records, Source Records, Repository Records and Place records which would be left unused after the deletion of the Individuals.  Use File > Split Tree Helper and select Delete all Individual records found by the Individual Query below, and use the Named List Members query.  In the 'Other Records' section set all the options to Delete ... Records left with no links to them.  Unfortunately the Split Tree Helper does not delete unused Place Records so you will need to do that afterwards by selecting  any Place records with no links (in the Records Window) and adding them to a Named List for deletion.

Lorna

List > Delete Named List Records. 

On 12/03/2020 18:39, Chris Wake wrote:

When I first start researching my Family History 20 years ago I put no limitations on who I should include in my Tree. Subsequently I now have over 5000 individuals who I am related to in one way or another. This has become unmanageable and makes research harder. What I’d like to do is trim my tree by restriction my “sideways” ancestors (I’m sure there is a correct genealogical term for this but I don’t know it) to 3 units. At the moment I have 4th,5th,6th , 7th cousins X Removed etc. included but would like to restrict this to a maximum of 3rd cousins. Is there a function / value in Family Historian that will give me the “sideways” value so I can write a query listing all 4th + cousins in my tree, and so remove them all.

 

Thanks

 

Chris


Trimming My Family Tree In FH

Chris Wake
 

When I first start researching my Family History 20 years ago I put no limitations on who I should include in my Tree. Subsequently I now have over 5000 individuals who I am related to in one way or another. This has become unmanageable and makes research harder. What I’d like to do is trim my tree by restriction my “sideways” ancestors (I’m sure there is a correct genealogical term for this but I don’t know it) to 3 units. At the moment I have 4th,5th,6th , 7th cousins X Removed etc. included but would like to restrict this to a maximum of 3rd cousins. Is there a function / value in Family Historian that will give me the “sideways” value so I can write a query listing all 4th + cousins in my tree, and so remove them all.

 

Thanks

 

Chris


Re: Linking Images

Bob Brown
 

Hi Lorna, Mike and Adrian,

 

Very many thanks for your responses to my query.  Lorna’s distinction between images that add information to a fact and those that ‘illustrate’ it is, I think, the key to what I was missing.  Mike’s list of the records to which images can be linked is extremely helpful (I had forgotten about being able to link to Place records).  Adrian’s example of linking to both a source and an event is very useful.  This and all your examples have given me lots of ‘food for thought’.  Now to re-visit my database and add consistency and logic to it.

 

Thanks to you all.

Bob

 

From: family-historian@groups.io [mailto:family-historian@groups.io] On Behalf Of Lorna Craig via Groups.Io
Sent: 9 March 2020 19:38
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Linking Images

 

Bob,

You asked in what circumstances an image would be linked to a Fact.  Mike has given the examples of pictures of a marriage or graduation linked to the corresponding events, or a picture of a house linked to a residence fact.   These types of image "illustrate" the fact rather than adding specific information to it.  An advantage of linking them direct to a fact is that those images will then appear in the main body of the text in a report. 

The marriage certificate,  the graduation certificate or the house deeds, on the other hand, are source documents which supply information about the facts and are better linked to a Source record.  This is especially true if the source is cited several times, as they only need to be linked once. Images linked to Sources can be included in reports but they will be in the Sources section at the end of the report. 

Lorna

On 09/03/2020 18:56, Mike Tate wrote:

Hi Bob,

Yes, Media images can be linked in various positions and different users have different guidelines, but the following are popular criteria:

  • Pictures of people are linked to the Individual record Property Box > Media tab (or sometimes the Family record) it is also common to use Face Frames to pick out individuals from a group photo.
  • Pictures of a place can be linked to a Place record, but they often do not identify a particular address.
  • Pictures of an event such as a Marriage or a Graduation or maybe a Residence could be linked to a Fact.
  • Source document images can be linked to a Citation usually in conjunction with lumper Method 2 Source records.
  • Source document images are most often linked to a splitter Method 1 Source record.

 

I would say your examples fall into the last category, even though they don’t contribute much that is factual.

 

Interesting examples include a picture of a graveyard and a picture of a gravestone.

The former might be linked to a Burial event, but the latter has an inscription which is effectively a source document so link it to a Source record.

 

Regards, Mike Tate

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Bob Brown
Sent: 09 March 2020 16:13
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Linking Images

 

I have been an FH user for many years, but have just returned to it after a two year break, owing to other commitments.  In that time I have forgotten a lot and I suspect that a few marbles have also escaped!  I have been tidying my database and would like some input on linking images.  I have a number of images associated with a single person and a single Fact/Event.  Examples are inscriptions in books where the inscription may be the only example that I have of a person’s handwriting, newspaper and other reports which simply say something like ‘The vote of thanks was given by Fred Bloggs’ or ‘The fete was opened by Fred Bloggs’, with no other useful/helpful information.  The only useful information is that the person is still alive at the time.  I tend to use Method 1 for this type of data because inscriptions in books and newspaper reports can often have multiple references.  What I am looking for is some advice on whether to link images of the examples that I have mentioned, and others like them, to the Source or to the Fact (or possibly to both).  Also, under what circumstances would an image be linked to a Fact?

 

I have tried searching the Knowledge Base without success.  I am using Version 6.2.7.

 

Bob Brown

 

Virus-free. www.avast.com


Re: Internet Data matches with FindMyPast

David Potter
 

Hi Phil. I'm sure an expert will confirm or reject my answer.  My understanding is that the FMP data is stored in a Cache file within each FH project. So it is stored by project. I remember being advised once to clear it to reset all Accept or Rejects. I just can't recall where it is in the database.


Internet Data matches with FindMyPast

Phil Young
 

Hi,
I am running FH 6.2.7 and I have a subscription to FindMyPast.
I am using the Internet Data Matches feature in FH quite frequently, but now have a couple of questions as to how the feature works.
  1. Where is the history of Accepted or Rejected matches stored. Is it stored with the FH project on my computer or is stored within my subscription data at the FindMyPast website?
  2. I have two slightly overlapping FH projects. If I Accept or Reject matches within one project will that information be reflected in the other project?
Many thanks,
Phil


Re: Setting a Private Flag that links to Living Flag

James Pam
 

Thank you Mike.
I am attracted to the possibility of 'private' people being recorded by initials only when using the 'clean living persons' plugin prior to uploading to a website. I will need to consult family members first to see how they feel about them being recorded by initials only. The advantage is that it provides evidence they exist which the private flag does not do.
 Given the warning attached to this plugin I will first create a specific project which I can then manipulate using this plugin.

James 




Re: Sources vs. Citations

racingtortoise@...
 

Adrian,

Good summary and brought more than one smile of recognition.
I thought the template concept would be sensible (and I think it is), but using the idea for your own records definitely requires noting which you use and what for.

Dave.


Re: Sources vs. Citations

Adrian Bruce
 

On Tue, 10 Mar 2020 at 23:07, kiwipete <peter@tsnz.co.nz> wrote:
Could one not print the pages to a PDF file. I use CUTEPDF writer.
No - the problem is that you can't see the whole of the page without
shrinking the document down too small for legibility of the text. A
PDF print just shows what visible on your screen - it can't access the
underlying image, only the browser window. And Right Click / Save As
only shows the bit of the image on the screen - logically, again
that's what you're accessing.

Of course, if you had a wall sized screen, you would see it all at a
legible font size, in which case, *then* you could screen shot it!


Re: Sources vs. Citations

kiwipete
 

Could one not print the pages to a PDF file. I use CUTEPDF writer. 


Re: Sources vs. Citations

Adrian Bruce
 



On Tue, Mar 10, 2020, 22:32 Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:
Adrian,
Presumably, the "image-only collection" can be viewed on-screen, so why not take a screenshot, 

Generally speaking, Mike, you may say that, I couldn't possibly comment!

More to the point, while it's possible to screenshot baptisms etc, it sure ain't feasible to screen shot a multipage will without dying of boredom! 

Adrian

4801 - 4820 of 5097