Date   

Missing text in query results

Brian Bottomley
 

I am writing on behalf of a friend, who after upgrading to v7 has found Individual's names missing from query results. The following is an example of the output from the Immediate Family query



Clicking on the icons brings up the Properties of the individual, so works as expected, just not displaying the name in the query result set

Named lists still work as expected with the individual's name alongside the icon. The previous V6 had worked perfectly. No other "glitches seem to have occurred or at least have been observed.

I've had a look round my own FH and can't see any "options" that could have turned off the individual's text, but maybe we're both missing something. 

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Brian


Re: Mapping Facility in FH

Mike Tate
 

Apart from getting ‘Error 500: undefined’ the map worked for me. What place were you looking for?

I am not signed-in to an account.

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of David Potter via groups.io
Sent: 11 January 2021 16:56
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Mapping Facility in FH

 

Hi John

 

I tried that link below but it failed to load the Map having found the place I asked for. I have a FamilySearch account. Is there something else required to get this to work.?

 

Thank you.

 

Kind Regards

 

David Charles Potter

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of John Hanson
Sent: 08 January 2021 18:39
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Mapping Facility in FH

 

Robert

Whilst Mangotsfield might be in Gloucestershire it is in Keynsham registration district
There are many instances of registration districts crossing the county boundary

 

There are also instances where the registration district is not an actual place – Cosford in Suffolk that crops up many times in my family

 

These days I resort to an online gazetteer to sort them out and first port of call is the LDS mapping facility at https://www.familysearch.org/mapp/


Enter a parish and it will give you all the information that you want about it and links to its wiki which is one of the most underused part of the site these days yet one of the most important with link to all online information for a parish

 

Regards
John Hanson - researching the Halstead/Holstead/Alstead names
Researcher, the Halsted Trust - https://www.halsted.org.uk
Research website - https://www.halstedresearch.org.uk

2021 Family History Conference - https://www.elizabethanancestors.org.uk

 

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert Jordan
Sent: 08 January 2021 18:13
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Mapping Facility in FH

 

Adrian

Your comments do not entirely make sense to me.

Firstly when I enter an event the registration district shows up in the source so I know what it is.

 

I know that Mangotsfield is in Gloucestershire and Keynsham is in Somerset is because I lived in the area. If the same situation occurred in say Northumberland then I would not have a clue and I think most people would take the same view as me. To look up some gazetteer to check every place name used would I suggest take the whole enjoyment out of studying family history.

 

I posed a question as to what marker would be used on the map for Mangotsfield, Keynsham, Somerset and gave three optional answers. Your answer was "probably yes"  I do not have a clue what your answer means!!!

 

I'm afraid you have not convinced me. The map facility was introduced in V6 and I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I have used it. From memory it was to look at the map for myself as I had travelled to all continents of the world, the second time was when I entered Banjol, Gambia in a place and found that the marker showed Banjul which is the correct spelling and when I changed my place entry to the correct spelling the marker jumped about 50 miles away!

This is not in my opinion a reliable facility and I for one will not be using it

 

Robert Jordan

 

Image removed by sender.

Virus-free. www.avast.com


Advice on use of fact events to create narratives for individuals

Nicholas Cabell
 

I am trying to transfer a set of facts, events, documents already on another (non-GEDCOM) platform to fill out this individuals narrative story.
The facts, events and documents do not map simply to the fact types in FH6. So 2 questions:

1) Is this a good use of FH; i.e. saving for current family and for posterity real narratives of an ancestor's life including images, letters, awards received, publications, etc. The intent is to publish these selectively to the web from the FH source using any of the variety of publishing tools available.

2) What fact types exist or could be imported for things like - or should I be including these data in a different manner? 
  • presidential proclamation awarded
  • article describing circumstances around death
  • letter received regarding marriage or other interesting data
  • wedding announcement
  • invitation to reception at White House


Re: Citation Assessment Dialog | Adding extra options

Frances Atherton
 

Thanks 😊 

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 at 14:11, colevalleygirl@... <colevalleygirl@...> wrote:

I’ve raised a new wish list request at https://fhug.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&p=108113#p108113.  It will be some time before it actually makes it to the Wish List because of the volume of work on the FHUG forum at present.

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Frances Atherton
Sent: 16 January 2021 13:58
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Citation Assessment Dialog | Adding extra options

 

I would like to add Authored to sources, undetermined to information and negative to evidence. I’m not sure about making them totally configurable. 

 

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 at 13:45, colevalleygirl@... <colevalleygirl@...> wrote:

Are you thinking about adding ‘Negative Evidence’? Or making the values totally configurable?


Re: Citation Assessment Dialog | Adding extra options

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk
 

I’ve raised a new wish list request at https://fhug.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&p=108113#p108113.  It will be some time before it actually makes it to the Wish List because of the volume of work on the FHUG forum at present.

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Frances Atherton
Sent: 16 January 2021 13:58
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Citation Assessment Dialog | Adding extra options

 

I would like to add Authored to sources, undetermined to information and negative to evidence. I’m not sure about making them totally configurable. 

 

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 at 13:45, colevalleygirl@... <colevalleygirl@...> wrote:

Are you thinking about adding ‘Negative Evidence’? Or making the values totally configurable?


Re: Citation Assessment Dialog | Adding extra options

Frances Atherton
 

I would like to add Authored to sources, undetermined to information and negative to evidence. I’m not sure about making them totally configurable. 

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 at 13:45, colevalleygirl@... <colevalleygirl@...> wrote:

Are you thinking about adding ‘Negative Evidence’? Or making the values totally configurable?

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Frances Atherton
Sent: 16 January 2021 13:33
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Citation Assessment Dialog | Adding extra options

 

That’s a shame, perhaps we should put it on the wish list? 

 

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 at 13:07, colevalleygirl@... <colevalleygirl@...> wrote:

Alas, no. I’d like to see Negative Evidence included, but the values aren’t configurable.

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Frances Atherton
Subject: [family-historian] Citation Assessment Dialog | Adding extra options

 

I was wondering, is it possible to add to the Citation Assessment Dialog when analysing a source? What I want to do is add extra options to the sections ‘Sources, Information and Evidence’.


Re: Citation Assessment Dialog | Adding extra options

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk
 

Are you thinking about adding ‘Negative Evidence’? Or making the values totally configurable?

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Frances Atherton
Sent: 16 January 2021 13:33
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Citation Assessment Dialog | Adding extra options

 

That’s a shame, perhaps we should put it on the wish list? 

 

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 at 13:07, colevalleygirl@... <colevalleygirl@...> wrote:

Alas, no. I’d like to see Negative Evidence included, but the values aren’t configurable.

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Frances Atherton
Subject: [family-historian] Citation Assessment Dialog | Adding extra options

 

I was wondering, is it possible to add to the Citation Assessment Dialog when analysing a source? What I want to do is add extra options to the sections ‘Sources, Information and Evidence’.


Re: Citation Assessment Dialog | Adding extra options

Frances Atherton
 

That’s a shame, perhaps we should put it on the wish list? 

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 at 13:07, colevalleygirl@... <colevalleygirl@...> wrote:

Alas, no. I’d like to see Negative Evidence included, but the values aren’t configurable.

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Frances Atherton
Subject: [family-historian] Citation Assessment Dialog | Adding extra options

 

I was wondering, is it possible to add to the Citation Assessment Dialog when analysing a source? What I want to do is add extra options to the sections ‘Sources, Information and Evidence’.


Re: Citation Assessment Dialog | Adding extra options

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk
 

Alas, no. I’d like to see Negative Evidence included, but the values aren’t configurable.

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Frances Atherton
Subject: [family-historian] Citation Assessment Dialog | Adding extra options

 

I was wondering, is it possible to add to the Citation Assessment Dialog when analysing a source? What I want to do is add extra options to the sections ‘Sources, Information and Evidence’.


Citation Assessment Dialog | Adding extra options

Frances Atherton
 

I was wondering, is it possible to add to the Citation Assessment Dialog when analysing a source? What I want to do is add extra options to the sections ‘Sources, Information and Evidence’.

 

Thanks

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


Re: 1939 National Register

John Hanson
 

Andrew

My suspicion is that they are acting on instructions from TNA and no one had thought of what happens if an entry goes to two lines – I suspect because it is so rare
I have looked at thousands of entries since its release and can honestly say that I have never seen it

Can you send me the details of one please (odd list if need be) And I will have words with my contacts at FMP – being a content provider for them I can sometimes get more answers than others

Regards
John Hanson - researching the Halstead/Holstead/Alstead names
Researcher, the Halsted Trust - https://www.halsted.org.uk
Research website - https://www.halstedresearch.org.uk

2021 Family History Conference - https://www.elizabethanancestors.org.uk

 

 

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Andrew Braid
Sent: 16 January 2021 07:53
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] 1939 National Register

 

I believe FMP do have access to the unredacted records. In my family there are three members, clearly shown in the schedule sub number, but a redacted line. I queried this with FMP and they told me that all it contained was the second line of my father's occupation. They have not unredacted the line in spite of this. To me this raises several issues but most when I see a redacted line I always check the schedule sub No.

Andrew


Re: 1939 National Register

Andrew Braid
 

I believe FMP do have access to the unredacted records. In my family there are three members, clearly shown in the schedule sub number, but a redacted line. I queried this with FMP and they told me that all it contained was the second line of my father's occupation. They have not unredacted the line in spite of this. To me this raises several issues but most when I see a redacted line I always check the schedule sub No.

Andrew


Re: 1939 National Register

Adrian Bruce
 

"some people seem to have added an extra line and that can throw the details out. They hadn’t thought about checking that the number of rows in each column was the same!"
Possibly.... It's also quite possible that the failure mode was a double error - repeat a cell, transcribe, omit a cell. That would result in the correct number of cells in a column thus sabotaging the cells per column check - if that check took place. We'll probably never know!

I have to say - I wouldn't fancy indexing the M/F column - there must be every chance of going cross eyed on that one. 


Re: 1939 National Register

John Hanson
 

Adrian

As you say each page was transcribed by 11 different people and we can’t blame FMP as it was a stipulation from TNA as they were paranoid about the wrong people getting access to all those living people details. The other stipulation was that it had to be done in the UK and was done through the friends of TNA I understand

Unfortunately they different realise until after publication that some people seem to have added an extra line and that can throw the details out. They hadn’t thought about checking that the number of rows in each column was the same!

 

Regards
John Hanson - researching the Halstead/Holstead/Alstead names
Researcher, the Halsted Trust - https://www.halsted.org.uk
Research website - https://www.halstedresearch.org.uk

2021 Family History Conference - https://www.elizabethanancestors.org.uk

 

 

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Adrian Bruce
Sent: 15 January 2021 19:14
To: Family Historian Groups.io mailing list <Family-historian@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [family-historian] 1939 National Register

 

The indexing was definitely done differently. So far as I know, Ancestry bought the redacted images and indexed those. Easy enough (?!)

 

When FMP did it, they were starting from the full pages and had to produce a complete index, I believe. While it might be thought inevitable that FMP's indexers would need to see the whole page, someone unfortunately had the bright idea of just showing them a column at a time, letting them index the columns and then spinning everything round inside the computer ( before presenting the lines to be redacted). 

 

The problem with indexing column at a time is that it's dreadfully easy to get punch drunk doing a whole column of similar data and missing something out or double entering. With the result that the transcript can show a line with part of its own data, followed by the data from the row above. 

 

Adrian


Re: Census entry

Neil Spencer
 

Thanks for your advice Mike. I've downloaded AS and once I've got my head round it am sure it will be of great help with data entry.
Neil

On Wed, 13 Jan 2021, 17:17 Mike Tate, <post@...> wrote:

Welcome Neil,

You have picked one of the more complex data types to enter.

There are various techniques that people use, but one of the most common involves a companion program called Ancestral Sources.

Whether you use that or not, the end result is a Census event on the Facts tab for each member of the household with a Source Citation that links to a single Source record holding the Census page image and a transcript.

That is summarised in the FHUG Knowledge Base ~ Recording from a Census Record:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/recording-from-a-census-record/

 

However, if some of the terminology above is all very new, then perhaps you need to step back and spend some time understanding how Family Historian works, especially if you are also new to family history research.

See the FHUG Knowledge Base ~ Key Features for Newcomers:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/key-features-for-newcomers/

 

Also, you may be interested in the FHUG Forums at https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/index.php

 

Mike Tate

 

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of rneilspencer@...
Sent: 11 January 2021 20:29
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Census entry

 

Hello Everyone. I've just joined this group and am very new to Family Historian so please forgive what is probably a very simple question.
I want to enter family groups from the UK censuses into the program. What is the best location for this?  Iget confused with the tabs "Notes", "Facts" and "Main". 
I would also like to enter the data for each individual in the family. Presumably I should use use "Copy" and "Paste" or is there a smarter way to do this?
Neil


Re: Census entry

Neil Spencer
 

Thanks for that. I've downloaded AS and am now getting to grips with it. Hopefully this will help entering not only census data but the other facts as well.
Neil

On Wed, 13 Jan 2021, 17:08 colevalleygirl@..., <colevalleygirl@...> wrote:

Have a look at Ancestral Sources: https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/

 

It makes entering information from census and other sources much easier.

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of rneilspencer@...
Sent: 11 January 2021 20:29
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Census entry

 

Hello Everyone. I've just joined this group and am very new to Family Historian so please forgive what is probably a very simple question.
I want to enter family groups from the UK censuses into the program. What is the best location for this?  Iget confused with the tabs "Notes", "Facts" and "Main". 
I would also like to enter the data for each individual in the family. Presumably I should use use "Copy" and "Paste" or is there a smarter way to do this?
Neil


Re: 1939 National Register

Lorna Craig
 

I think census enumerators sometimes made the same mistake when copying their own notes into a census form.  I remember seen images of a couple of census pages which only made sense if the occupation and place of birth were moved down one line for everyone in the bottom half of the page.

Lorna

On 15/01/2021 19:14, Adrian Bruce wrote:

....The problem with indexing column at a time is that it's dreadfully easy to get punch drunk doing a whole column of similar data and missing something out or double entering. With the result that the transcript can show a line with part of its own data, followed by the data from the row above.


Re: 1939 National Register

Adrian Bruce
 

The indexing was definitely done differently. So far as I know, Ancestry bought the redacted images and indexed those. Easy enough (?!)

When FMP did it, they were starting from the full pages and had to produce a complete index, I believe. While it might be thought inevitable that FMP's indexers would need to see the whole page, someone unfortunately had the bright idea of just showing them a column at a time, letting them index the columns and then spinning everything round inside the computer ( before presenting the lines to be redacted). 

The problem with indexing column at a time is that it's dreadfully easy to get punch drunk doing a whole column of similar data and missing something out or double entering. With the result that the transcript can show a line with part of its own data, followed by the data from the row above. 

Adrian


Re: 1939 National Register

Sheena Harling
 

With reference to Adrian Bruce's post, I found a person I had searched long and weary for on FMP's version of the 1939 Register. When I searched again when Ancestry acquired it, this person came up with the right name and age. The latter was wrong on FMP so although the name was correct, she did not show up in searches. When I eventually found the person, and the correct page at Ancestry, it appeared that the information including the age, had been taken from the line above, which threw out all searches. Either the transcription or the indexing was done differently at Ancestry. Moral of this tale- search both!
--
Sheena


Re: 1939 National Register

John Hanson
 

Paddy

Not so – Any contract to put items from the National Archives is via the National Archives itself

Ancestry get their images once a year from TNA

Regards
John Hanson - researching the Halstead/Holstead/Alstead names
Researcher, the Halsted Trust - https://www.halsted.org.uk
Research website - https://www.halstedresearch.org.uk

2021 Family History Conference - https://www.elizabethanancestors.org.uk

 

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of buckleypaddy09@...
Sent: 14 January 2021 15:25
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] 1939 National Register

 

I have subscriptions to both FindMyPast and Ancestry, and can endorse Lorna's remark that FMP were the first to transcribe the 1939 Register.  I believe that Ancestry arranged with FMP to use the same database at TNA.

Paddy Buckley

1021 - 1040 of 3623