Date   

Re: Cloning a source

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk
 

Clone Any Record seems to work OK i V7 with two caveats. Not unexpectedly (because it hasn't been updated):

  • Templated Sources are not cloned correctly
  • Research Notes are not cloned correctly


Re: Errors

Nick Walker (Ancestral Sources)
 

_FAMC records would certainly not be created by AS so something else must be happening here. If you do think this might be related to AS then please discuss with me Victor either via email or on the AS forum on the FHUG site. This mailing list is a Calico Pie mailing list and Ancestral Sources isn’t one of their products so I don’t want to upset them by discussing it here. Remember that AS keeps a backup copy of your entire file every time it saves an entry.

 

Thanks

 

Nick

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Victor Markham via groups.io
Sent: 08 January 2021 11:21
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Errors

 

Mike

I have just done another check. This time checked all the names I worked on when adding the census details v AS. I found all those names have disappeared. There were 6 of them.

Sorry I don't have a clue what to do about FAMC and those other references you mentioned

I will keep the exception log.

Victor

On 08/01/2021 10:31 am, Mike Tate wrote:

Victor,

There are several oddities about that Exception Report.

None of the 2 _SHAR lines has a @I123@ link to an Individual record as the Shared Fact Witness.

The _FAMC should be FAMC and that explains why the Family as Child links are all broken.

There was an error reported last month that involved FAMC and PEDI/_PEDI  tags that was never resolved.

I suggest you preserve as much evidence of the errors as possible, i.e. Exception Log and GEDCOM.

Mike Tate

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Victor Markham via groups.io
Sent: 08 January 2021 08:21
To: Family History <family-historian@groups.io>
Subject: [family-historian] Errors

 

I have been working on my FH tree and after just added some census details I got this message I have V7

Family Historian Exception Report - Friday 08 Jan 2021
=========================================================

  Lines marked "EXCLUDED:" indicate data which has not
  been loaded, and explain why it wasn't loaded.

  Indented lines marked "EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:" indicate
  data lines which are not necessarily invalid in
  themselves but which have had to be excluded as a
  consequence of excluding other lines.

  Lines marked "INFO ONLY:" indicate data that has
  been successfully loaded, but where special action
  was needed to load it (e.g. GEDCOM errors detected
  and automatically corrected by Family Historian).

Record Type=Individual. Gedcom Id=I11117. Record Number=10964.
l.229957 - EXCLUDED: invalid line           : "2  _SHAR "
    l.229958 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "3  ROLE Informant"
    l.229959 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "3  SOUR "
    l.229960 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "4  PAGE Death Certificate"
    l.229961 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "4  DATA "
    l.229962 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "5  DATE 24 DEC 2015"
    l.229963 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "4  QUAY 3"

Record Type=Individual. Gedcom Id=I11880. Record Number=11684.
l.246511 - EXCLUDED: invalid line           : "2  _SHAR "
    l.246512 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "3  ROLE Informant"

Record Type=Individual. Gedcom Id=I21933. Record Number=21444.
l.408998 - EXCLUDED: invalid line           : "1  _FAMC "
    l.408999 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "2  _PEDI Step (father)"
    l.409000 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "2  _PEDI Birth (mother)"

Record Type=Individual. Gedcom Id=I29483. Record Number=28832.
l.544304 - EXCLUDED: invalid line           : "2  _SHAR "
    l.544305 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "3  ROLE Informant"
    l.544306 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "3  SOUR "
    l.544307 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "4  PAGE Death Certificate"
    l.544308 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "4  DATA "
    l.544309 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "5  DATE 25 DEC 2015"
    l.544310 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "4  QUAY 3"

---------------------------------------------------------
The numeric portion of Gedcom Ids have been retained as Record Ids.  Use these to match entries to

It opened up on my name with no other family connections shown. I checked my brother and father details they too were alone.

I have also checked other names it appear they have all become stand alone names

Looks as if all names on my tree have become isolated

Victor

 


Re: FH7 just ending with no reason at all at all for a GEDCOM input - why no error message?

Phil Warn <philwarn@...>
 

John,

 

Thank you for that suggestion.

I am now using the GEDCOM validator on my latest file output by Ancestry.com

Many thanks

 

Phil.

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: John Hanson
Sent: 08 January 2021 11:45
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] FH7 just ending with no reason at all at all for a GEDCOM input - why no error message?

 

Phil

Have you tried using a gedcom validator on the Gedcom from Ancestry
https://fhug.org.uk/kb/link/gedcom-validator-3/

 

Regards
John Hanson - researching the Halstead/Holstead/Alstead names
Researcher, the Halsted Trust - https://www.halsted.org.uk
Research website - https://www.halstedresearch.org.uk

2021 Family History Conference - https://www.elizabethanancestors.org.uk

 

 

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Phil Warn
Sent: 07 January 2021 19:16
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] FH7 just ending with no reason at all at all for a GEDCOM input - why no error message?

 

HI Mike,

 

  1. I have FH6 and have just purchased FH7
  2. Yes, it has been a problem for some time. I have some 88,088 souls in my tree and it is updated daily in Ancestry and saved each evening under a new name that incorporates the date such as “20210107” (an ISO date format?) as part of its full name.
  3. I know it has islands (several hundreds) as I can see them on one or more of the FH programs that do not crash on me. RMT 7 & 8 work. On one solitary occasion FH6 worked and I could see the tree on line. (AND one can use a text editor to look at the GEDCOM file too, of course)
  4. On this, my AIO computer, I did not install FH V6 but installed today FH V77.
  5. So, as above the Gedcom comes from my daily Ancestry back up.
  6. The date format errors are instanced by all the other FH programs I use.
  7. Ancestry.co.uk is my usual data source and I have the WW version so that I can update my tree from all the many countries my ancestors came from..
  8. I believe that many of the unconnected trees (islands) have come from historical errors when Ancestry merges were “buggy”.

 

If I had but a few K of folks I would have contemplated retyping the tree, but 88K or more?!

 

I had hoped that there may be a secret “key”/option to switch on debugging even if were verbose to allow me to narrow down why FH knocks off without even a “good bye”!

 

Is there an upper error limit that just causes the program to end?

 

Many thanks

 

Phil

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Mike Tate
Sent: 07 January 2021 18:54
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] FH7 just ending with no reason at all at all for a GEDCOM input - why no error message?

 

Hi Phil,

A bit more background would help us narrow down the problem.

You say it happens on both FH V6 and FH V7.

Presumably, it has been a problem for some time or you’ve got both FH versions still installed?

 

Where does this GEDCOM come from?

How do you know it has “islands” and date format errors if it won’t import?

How is Ancestry.co.uk involved?

 

Mike Tate

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Phil Warn
Sent: 07 January 2021 15:19
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] FH7 just ending with no reason at all at all for a GEDCOM input - why no error message?

 

Hi all,

 

This happens to me with both versions 6 and 7.

 

I know my GEDCOM file contains dozens of “islands” and has date format errors but no error message at all? (thanks mainly to Ancestry.co.uk!)

 

I use ALL FH programs but this is the worst for this!!!

 

HELP

 

TIA

 

Phil. Warn

Now in West Moors
Darzet

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

 

 


Re: Ancestral Sources

waltonnz
 

Thank you

On Sat, 9 Jan 2021 at 00:37, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

It is among the FHUG website Forums at

https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=34

 

Mike Tate

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of waltonnz
Sent: 08 January 2021 11:14
To: Family Historian <family-historian@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Ancestral Sources

 

Sorry, I did look but couldn't find it. Could you please point me in the right direction?

Patricia

 

On Fri, 8 Jan 2021 at 23:31, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Patricia,

This Email list is primarily for FH problems.

I suggest you post in the FHUG Forum for Ancestral Sources.

There have been other similar problems posted there that Nick has dealt with.

Mike Tate



Re: FH7 just ending with no reason at all at all for a GEDCOM input - why no error message?

John Hanson
 

Phil

Have you tried using a gedcom validator on the Gedcom from Ancestry
https://fhug.org.uk/kb/link/gedcom-validator-3/

 

Regards
John Hanson - researching the Halstead/Holstead/Alstead names
Researcher, the Halsted Trust - https://www.halsted.org.uk
Research website - https://www.halstedresearch.org.uk

2021 Family History Conference - https://www.elizabethanancestors.org.uk

 

 

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Phil Warn
Sent: 07 January 2021 19:16
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] FH7 just ending with no reason at all at all for a GEDCOM input - why no error message?

 

HI Mike,

 

  1. I have FH6 and have just purchased FH7
  2. Yes, it has been a problem for some time. I have some 88,088 souls in my tree and it is updated daily in Ancestry and saved each evening under a new name that incorporates the date such as “20210107” (an ISO date format?) as part of its full name.
  3. I know it has islands (several hundreds) as I can see them on one or more of the FH programs that do not crash on me. RMT 7 & 8 work. On one solitary occasion FH6 worked and I could see the tree on line. (AND one can use a text editor to look at the GEDCOM file too, of course)
  4. On this, my AIO computer, I did not install FH V6 but installed today FH V77.
  5. So, as above the Gedcom comes from my daily Ancestry back up.
  6. The date format errors are instanced by all the other FH programs I use.
  7. Ancestry.co.uk is my usual data source and I have the WW version so that I can update my tree from all the many countries my ancestors came from..
  8. I believe that many of the unconnected trees (islands) have come from historical errors when Ancestry merges were “buggy”.

 

If I had but a few K of folks I would have contemplated retyping the tree, but 88K or more?!

 

I had hoped that there may be a secret “key”/option to switch on debugging even if were verbose to allow me to narrow down why FH knocks off without even a “good bye”!

 

Is there an upper error limit that just causes the program to end?

 

Many thanks

 

Phil

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Mike Tate
Sent: 07 January 2021 18:54
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] FH7 just ending with no reason at all at all for a GEDCOM input - why no error message?

 

Hi Phil,

A bit more background would help us narrow down the problem.

You say it happens on both FH V6 and FH V7.

Presumably, it has been a problem for some time or you’ve got both FH versions still installed?

 

Where does this GEDCOM come from?

How do you know it has “islands” and date format errors if it won’t import?

How is Ancestry.co.uk involved?

 

Mike Tate

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Phil Warn
Sent: 07 January 2021 15:19
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] FH7 just ending with no reason at all at all for a GEDCOM input - why no error message?

 

Hi all,

 

This happens to me with both versions 6 and 7.

 

I know my GEDCOM file contains dozens of “islands” and has date format errors but no error message at all? (thanks mainly to Ancestry.co.uk!)

 

I use ALL FH programs but this is the worst for this!!!

 

HELP

 

TIA

 

Phil. Warn

Now in West Moors
Darzet

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

 


Re: Ancestral Sources

Mike Tate
 

It is among the FHUG website Forums at

https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=34

 

Mike Tate

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of waltonnz
Sent: 08 January 2021 11:14
To: Family Historian <family-historian@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Ancestral Sources

 

Sorry, I did look but couldn't find it. Could you please point me in the right direction?

Patricia

 

On Fri, 8 Jan 2021 at 23:31, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Patricia,

This Email list is primarily for FH problems.

I suggest you post in the FHUG Forum for Ancestral Sources.

There have been other similar problems posted there that Nick has dealt with.

Mike Tate

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of waltonnz
Sent: 08 January 2021 01:58
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Ancestral Sources

 

I'm still using FH vs 6 but downloaded AS vs 7. I'm trying to enter a Census record using Method 2 as I have always done. When I enter the individual, I normally see people related to him below plus a button to add more children. This is not happening. Am I doing something wrong or is the new version different to the previous version?

Patricia


Re: Errors

Mike Tate
 

This is looking more like an AS V7 problem that should be reported in the FHUG Ancestral Sources Forum for Nick to investigate.

AS keeps backup logs of the GEDCOM file prior to each AS session, so you can use them to recover.

 

However, it may be best not to change anything until Nick has had a chance to investigate.

 

Mike Tate

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Victor Markham via groups.io
Sent: 08 January 2021 11:21
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Errors

 

Mike

I have just done another check. This time checked all the names I worked on when adding the census details v AS. I found all those names have disappeared. There were 6 of them.

Sorry I don't have a clue what to do about FAMC and those other references you mentioned

I will keep the exception log.

Victor

On 08/01/2021 10:31 am, Mike Tate wrote:

Victor,

There are several oddities about that Exception Report.

None of the 2 _SHAR lines has a @I123@ link to an Individual record as the Shared Fact Witness.

The _FAMC should be FAMC and that explains why the Family as Child links are all broken.

There was an error reported last month that involved FAMC and PEDI/_PEDI  tags that was never resolved.

I suggest you preserve as much evidence of the errors as possible, i.e. Exception Log and GEDCOM.

Mike Tate

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Victor Markham via groups.io
Sent: 08 January 2021 08:21
To: Family History <family-historian@groups.io>
Subject: [family-historian] Errors

 

I have been working on my FH tree and after just added some census details I got this message I have V7

Family Historian Exception Report - Friday 08 Jan 2021
=========================================================

  Lines marked "EXCLUDED:" indicate data which has not
  been loaded, and explain why it wasn't loaded.

  Indented lines marked "EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:" indicate
  data lines which are not necessarily invalid in
  themselves but which have had to be excluded as a
  consequence of excluding other lines.

  Lines marked "INFO ONLY:" indicate data that has
  been successfully loaded, but where special action
  was needed to load it (e.g. GEDCOM errors detected
  and automatically corrected by Family Historian).

Record Type=Individual. Gedcom Id=I11117. Record Number=10964.
l.229957 - EXCLUDED: invalid line           : "2  _SHAR "
    l.229958 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "3  ROLE Informant"
    l.229959 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "3  SOUR "
    l.229960 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "4  PAGE Death Certificate"
    l.229961 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "4  DATA "
    l.229962 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "5  DATE 24 DEC 2015"
    l.229963 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "4  QUAY 3"

Record Type=Individual. Gedcom Id=I11880. Record Number=11684.
l.246511 - EXCLUDED: invalid line           : "2  _SHAR "
    l.246512 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "3  ROLE Informant"

Record Type=Individual. Gedcom Id=I21933. Record Number=21444.
l.408998 - EXCLUDED: invalid line           : "1  _FAMC "
    l.408999 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "2  _PEDI Step (father)"
    l.409000 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "2  _PEDI Birth (mother)"

Record Type=Individual. Gedcom Id=I29483. Record Number=28832.
l.544304 - EXCLUDED: invalid line           : "2  _SHAR "
    l.544305 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "3  ROLE Informant"
    l.544306 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "3  SOUR "
    l.544307 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "4  PAGE Death Certificate"
    l.544308 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "4  DATA "
    l.544309 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "5  DATE 25 DEC 2015"
    l.544310 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "4  QUAY 3"

---------------------------------------------------------
The numeric portion of Gedcom Ids have been retained as Record Ids.  Use these to match entries to

It opened up on my name with no other family connections shown. I checked my brother and father details they too were alone.

I have also checked other names it appear they have all become stand alone names

Looks as if all names on my tree have become isolated

Victor

 


Re: Mapping Facility in FH

Mike Tate
 

Yes, place names regularly change all over the world for political and administrative reasons.

Also, quite often the BMD formal GRO Registration District place in the records will be different from the actual BMD event place.

Automatic geocoders are designed for modern-day users and current modern place names.

They cannot cater for the needs of the relatively small community of family history researchers and support all historic place names.

That is why FH has a Standardized field and the Map Life Facts plugin has a Substitute field.

Those fields hold the modern place name to use for geocoding while the main Place name field holds the historic name for Reports, etc.

 

Mike Tate

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert Jordan
Sent: 08 January 2021 10:58
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Mapping Facility in FH

 

 

There have been a number of different threads on this site concerning the Maps facility in FH. As this is a slightly different angle I decided to start a new thread.

Some people are trying to merge Places to be consistent and we now learn that the AI process of geocoding really only recognises the latest Place automatically and not historical places.

I give some examples.

Early in 1974 I lived in a place Keynsham, Somerset. On 1 April that year when I woke up I found that without moving house I lived at a Place Keynsham, Wansdyke, Avon.  Some time later, after I had actually moved, Avon and Wansdyke were abolished and my old Place became Keynsham, Bath and North East Somerset, Somerset. So in the space of 20 or so years the Place had changed twice.

Keynsham itself is interesting. Whilst being in Somerset I know for a fact that some of my ancestors were born and married in Mangotsfield, Gloucestershire some 10 or so miles from Keynsham. If however one looks up the event on the BMD website it shows that the Registration event took place in Keynsham. It seems this was as a result of the Poor Law of 1834 which designated Keynsham as the poor law Union for 19 Parishes or Places 14 of which were in Somerset and 5 in Gloucestershire.

Another Place is Tilehurst, a parish, which before April 1974 would have been Tilehurst, Berkshire (actually in the District of Bradfield). Then it changed to Tilehurst, Newbury Berkshire.  Later in 1998 The County Council of Berkshire was abolished it changed again. Part of Tilehurst became Tilehurst, Reading another part of Tilehurst became Tilehurst, West Berkshire (Newbury having changed its name to West Berkshire).

As a general rule if I find a document with a Place I will record it exactly as the document shows because historically that is the fact.

I would urge caution about using the latest geocoding when the primary task of a Family Historian is to record history not mapping.

Robert Jordan


Re: Errors

Victor Markham
 

Mike

I have just done another check. This time checked all the names I worked on when adding the census details v AS. I found all those names have disappeared. There were 6 of them.

Sorry I don't have a clue what to do about FAMC and those other references you mentioned

I will keep the exception log.

Victor

On 08/01/2021 10:31 am, Mike Tate wrote:

Victor,

There are several oddities about that Exception Report.

None of the 2 _SHAR lines has a @I123@ link to an Individual record as the Shared Fact Witness.

The _FAMC should be FAMC and that explains why the Family as Child links are all broken.

There was an error reported last month that involved FAMC and PEDI/_PEDI  tags that was never resolved.

I suggest you preserve as much evidence of the errors as possible, i.e. Exception Log and GEDCOM.

Mike Tate

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Victor Markham via groups.io
Sent: 08 January 2021 08:21
To: Family History <family-historian@groups.io>
Subject: [family-historian] Errors

 

I have been working on my FH tree and after just added some census details I got this message I have V7

Family Historian Exception Report - Friday 08 Jan 2021
=========================================================

  Lines marked "EXCLUDED:" indicate data which has not
  been loaded, and explain why it wasn't loaded.

  Indented lines marked "EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:" indicate
  data lines which are not necessarily invalid in
  themselves but which have had to be excluded as a
  consequence of excluding other lines.

  Lines marked "INFO ONLY:" indicate data that has
  been successfully loaded, but where special action
  was needed to load it (e.g. GEDCOM errors detected
  and automatically corrected by Family Historian).

Record Type=Individual. Gedcom Id=I11117. Record Number=10964.
l.229957 - EXCLUDED: invalid line           : "2  _SHAR "
    l.229958 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "3  ROLE Informant"
    l.229959 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "3  SOUR "
    l.229960 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "4  PAGE Death Certificate"
    l.229961 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "4  DATA "
    l.229962 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "5  DATE 24 DEC 2015"
    l.229963 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "4  QUAY 3"

Record Type=Individual. Gedcom Id=I11880. Record Number=11684.
l.246511 - EXCLUDED: invalid line           : "2  _SHAR "
    l.246512 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "3  ROLE Informant"

Record Type=Individual. Gedcom Id=I21933. Record Number=21444.
l.408998 - EXCLUDED: invalid line           : "1  _FAMC "
    l.408999 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "2  _PEDI Step (father)"
    l.409000 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "2  _PEDI Birth (mother)"

Record Type=Individual. Gedcom Id=I29483. Record Number=28832.
l.544304 - EXCLUDED: invalid line           : "2  _SHAR "
    l.544305 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "3  ROLE Informant"
    l.544306 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "3  SOUR "
    l.544307 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "4  PAGE Death Certificate"
    l.544308 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "4  DATA "
    l.544309 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "5  DATE 25 DEC 2015"
    l.544310 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "4  QUAY 3"

---------------------------------------------------------
The numeric portion of Gedcom Ids have been retained as Record Ids.  Use these to match entries to

It opened up on my name with no other family connections shown. I checked my brother and father details they too were alone.

I have also checked other names it appear they have all become stand alone names

Looks as if all names on my tree have become isolated

Victor

 


Re: FH7 just ending with no reason at all at all for a GEDCOM input - why no error message?

Mike Tate
 

Thank you Phil, that is much clearer.

One thing that confused me was your use of FH with two meanings, but that is now explained.

 

Does RootsMagic produce a GEDCOM Import Log .LST file of error messages? It does for me.

That might give you some clues to the problems.

 

If you export the GEDCOM from RootsMagic, will that import into FH V6/7?

 

When you use FH V6/7 do you simply open the GEDCOM file or use it to create a Project?

i.e. Use File > Project Window > New Project > Import Gedcom File…

 

When it succeeded in FH V6 did it produce an Exception Report of problems?

 

There is no ‘debug’ mode in FH (at least not for users) but it is not usually necessary as FH V6, in particular, is quite robust and rarely crashes!

 

If all else fails, I suggest you report the problem to Calico Pie and they may request your GEDCOM file to perform their own debug tests.

 

Mike Tate

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Phil Warn
Sent: 07 January 2021 19:16
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] FH7 just ending with no reason at all at all for a GEDCOM input - why no error message?

 

HI Mike,

 

  1. I have FH6 and have just purchased FH7
  2. Yes, it has been a problem for some time. I have some 88,088 souls in my tree and it is updated daily in Ancestry and saved each evening under a new name that incorporates the date such as “20210107” (an ISO date format?) as part of its full name.
  3. I know it has islands (several hundreds) as I can see them on one or more of the FH programs that do not crash on me. RMT 7 & 8 work. On one solitary occasion FH6 worked and I could see the tree on line. (AND one can use a text editor to look at the GEDCOM file too, of course)
  4. On this, my AIO computer, I did not install FH V6 but installed today FH V77.
  5. So, as above the Gedcom comes from my daily Ancestry back up.
  6. The date format errors are instanced by all the other FH programs I use.
  7. Ancestry.co.uk is my usual data source and I have the WW version so that I can update my tree from all the many countries my ancestors came from..
  8. I believe that many of the unconnected trees (islands) have come from historical errors when Ancestry merges were “buggy”.

 

If I had but a few K of folks I would have contemplated retyping the tree, but 88K or more?!

 

I had hoped that there may be a secret “key”/option to switch on debugging even if were verbose to allow me to narrow down why FH knocks off without even a “good bye”!

 

Is there an upper error limit that just causes the program to end?

 

Many thanks

 

Phil

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Mike Tate
Sent: 07 January 2021 18:54
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] FH7 just ending with no reason at all at all for a GEDCOM input - why no error message?

 

Hi Phil,

A bit more background would help us narrow down the problem.

You say it happens on both FH V6 and FH V7.

Presumably, it has been a problem for some time or you’ve got both FH versions still installed?

 

Where does this GEDCOM come from?

How do you know it has “islands” and date format errors if it won’t import?

How is Ancestry.co.uk involved?

 

Mike Tate

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Phil Warn
Sent: 07 January 2021 15:19
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] FH7 just ending with no reason at all at all for a GEDCOM input - why no error message?

 

Hi all,

 

This happens to me with both versions 6 and 7.

 

I know my GEDCOM file contains dozens of “islands” and has date format errors but no error message at all? (thanks mainly to Ancestry.co.uk!)

 

I use ALL FH programs but this is the worst for this!!!

 

HELP

 

TIA

 

Phil. Warn

Now in West Moors
Darzet

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

 


Re: Ancestral Sources

waltonnz
 

Sorry, I did look but couldn't find it. Could you please point me in the right direction?
Patricia

On Fri, 8 Jan 2021 at 23:31, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Patricia,

This Email list is primarily for FH problems.

I suggest you post in the FHUG Forum for Ancestral Sources.

There have been other similar problems posted there that Nick has dealt with.

Mike Tate

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of waltonnz
Sent: 08 January 2021 01:58
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Ancestral Sources

 

I'm still using FH vs 6 but downloaded AS vs 7. I'm trying to enter a Census record using Method 2 as I have always done. When I enter the individual, I normally see people related to him below plus a button to add more children. This is not happening. Am I doing something wrong or is the new version different to the previous version?

Patricia


Mapping Facility in FH

Robert Jordan
 

 

There have been a number of different threads on this site concerning the Maps facility in FH. As this is a slightly different angle I decided to start a new thread.

Some people are trying to merge Places to be consistent and we now learn that the AI process of geocoding really only recognises the latest Place automatically and not historical places.

I give some examples.

Early in 1974 I lived in a place Keynsham, Somerset. On 1 April that year when I woke up I found that without moving house I lived at a Place Keynsham, Wansdyke, Avon.  Some time later, after I had actually moved, Avon and Wansdyke were abolished and my old Place became Keynsham, Bath and North East Somerset, Somerset. So in the space of 20 or so years the Place had changed twice.

Keynsham itself is interesting. Whilst being in Somerset I know for a fact that some of my ancestors were born and married in Mangotsfield, Gloucestershire some 10 or so miles from Keynsham. If however one looks up the event on the BMD website it shows that the Registration event took place in Keynsham. It seems this was as a result of the Poor Law of 1834 which designated Keynsham as the poor law Union for 19 Parishes or Places 14 of which were in Somerset and 5 in Gloucestershire.

Another Place is Tilehurst, a parish, which before April 1974 would have been Tilehurst, Berkshire (actually in the District of Bradfield). Then it changed to Tilehurst, Newbury Berkshire.  Later in 1998 The County Council of Berkshire was abolished it changed again. Part of Tilehurst became Tilehurst, Reading another part of Tilehurst became Tilehurst, West Berkshire (Newbury having changed its name to West Berkshire).

As a general rule if I find a document with a Place I will record it exactly as the document shows because historically that is the fact.

I would urge caution about using the latest geocoding when the primary task of a Family Historian is to record history not mapping.

Robert Jordan


Re: Errors

Victor Markham
 

I am using the correct version of AS havin g downloaded the latest verson. I had used it yesterday and things worked normaly as it always has in the past. When I added the census details of a person and saved it FH then opened at that person as t always has. This mornong it didn't. It opened at the root person (i.e. me) . Just did a check on my details. All the images I had on there have disappeared. In fact all images on every name have all gone. All this is in the FH Project which I always use.

Victor

On 08/01/2021 9:55 am, Ros wrote:
Make sure you are using the correct version of Ancestral Sources for Version 7,  you must have Ancestral Sources 7.

If you are on 7 for both and still have a problem you need to report the problem on FHUG.  


Re: Errors

Mike Tate
 

Victor,

There are several oddities about that Exception Report.

None of the 2 _SHAR lines has a @I123@ link to an Individual record as the Shared Fact Witness.

The _FAMC should be FAMC and that explains why the Family as Child links are all broken.

There was an error reported last month that involved FAMC and PEDI/_PEDI  tags that was never resolved.

I suggest you preserve as much evidence of the errors as possible, i.e. Exception Log and GEDCOM.

Mike Tate

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Victor Markham via groups.io
Sent: 08 January 2021 08:21
To: Family History <family-historian@groups.io>
Subject: [family-historian] Errors

 

I have been working on my FH tree and after just added some census details I got this message I have V7

Family Historian Exception Report - Friday 08 Jan 2021
=========================================================

  Lines marked "EXCLUDED:" indicate data which has not
  been loaded, and explain why it wasn't loaded.

  Indented lines marked "EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:" indicate
  data lines which are not necessarily invalid in
  themselves but which have had to be excluded as a
  consequence of excluding other lines.

  Lines marked "INFO ONLY:" indicate data that has
  been successfully loaded, but where special action
  was needed to load it (e.g. GEDCOM errors detected
  and automatically corrected by Family Historian).

Record Type=Individual. Gedcom Id=I11117. Record Number=10964.
l.229957 - EXCLUDED: invalid line           : "2  _SHAR "
    l.229958 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "3  ROLE Informant"
    l.229959 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "3  SOUR "
    l.229960 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "4  PAGE Death Certificate"
    l.229961 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "4  DATA "
    l.229962 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "5  DATE 24 DEC 2015"
    l.229963 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "4  QUAY 3"

Record Type=Individual. Gedcom Id=I11880. Record Number=11684.
l.246511 - EXCLUDED: invalid line           : "2  _SHAR "
    l.246512 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "3  ROLE Informant"

Record Type=Individual. Gedcom Id=I21933. Record Number=21444.
l.408998 - EXCLUDED: invalid line           : "1  _FAMC "
    l.408999 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "2  _PEDI Step (father)"
    l.409000 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "2  _PEDI Birth (mother)"

Record Type=Individual. Gedcom Id=I29483. Record Number=28832.
l.544304 - EXCLUDED: invalid line           : "2  _SHAR "
    l.544305 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "3  ROLE Informant"
    l.544306 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "3  SOUR "
    l.544307 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "4  PAGE Death Certificate"
    l.544308 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "4  DATA "
    l.544309 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "5  DATE 25 DEC 2015"
    l.544310 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "4  QUAY 3"

---------------------------------------------------------
The numeric portion of Gedcom Ids have been retained as Record Ids.  Use these to match entries to

It opened up on my name with no other family connections shown. I checked my brother and father details they too were alone.

I have also checked other names it appear they have all become stand alone names

Looks as if all names on my tree have become isolated

Victor

 


Re: Ancestral Sources

Mike Tate
 

Patricia,

This Email list is primarily for FH problems.

I suggest you post in the FHUG Forum for Ancestral Sources.

There have been other similar problems posted there that Nick has dealt with.

Mike Tate

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of waltonnz
Sent: 08 January 2021 01:58
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Ancestral Sources

 

I'm still using FH vs 6 but downloaded AS vs 7. I'm trying to enter a Census record using Method 2 as I have always done. When I enter the individual, I normally see people related to him below plus a button to add more children. This is not happening. Am I doing something wrong or is the new version different to the previous version?

Patricia


Re: Errors

Ros
 

Make sure you are using the correct version of Ancestral Sources for Version 7,  you must have Ancestral Sources 7.

If you are on 7 for both and still have a problem you need to report the problem on FHUG.  


Re: Errors

Victor Markham
 

I added the census details via Ancestral Sources.

On 8 Jan 2021, at 08:47, Ros <ros@...> wrote:
Did you put the information in with Family Historian or did you use Ancestral Sources?   If you used Ancestral Sources you will need to report the problem in the Ancestral Sources forum.

In the mean time have you tried restoring a snapshot from prior to the problem?


Re: Errors

Ros
 

Did you put the information in with Family Historian or did you use Ancestral Sources?   If you used Ancestral Sources you will need to report the problem in the Ancestral Sources forum.

In the mean time have you tried restoring a snapshot from prior to the problem?


Re: FH7 just ending with no reason at all at all for a GEDCOM input - why no error message?

Phil Warn <philwarn@...>
 

HI Mike,

 

  1. I have FH6 and have just purchased FH7
  2. Yes, it has been a problem for some time. I have some 88,088 souls in my tree and it is updated daily in Ancestry and saved each evening under a new name that incorporates the date such as “20210107” (an ISO date format?) as part of its full name.
  3. I know it has islands (several hundreds) as I can see them on one or more of the FH programs that do not crash on me. RMT 7 & 8 work. On one solitary occasion FH6 worked and I could see the tree on line. (AND one can use a text editor to look at the GEDCOM file too, of course)
  4. On this, my AIO computer, I did not install FH V6 but installed today FH V77.
  5. So, as above the Gedcom comes from my daily Ancestry back up.
  6. The date format errors are instanced by all the other FH programs I use.
  7. Ancestry.co.uk is my usual data source and I have the WW version so that I can update my tree from all the many countries my ancestors came from..
  8. I believe that many of the unconnected trees (islands) have come from historical errors when Ancestry merges were “buggy”.

 

If I had but a few K of folks I would have contemplated retyping the tree, but 88K or more?!

 

I had hoped that there may be a secret “key”/option to switch on debugging even if were verbose to allow me to narrow down why FH knocks off without even a “good bye”!

 

Is there an upper error limit that just causes the program to end?

 

Many thanks

 

Phil

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Mike Tate
Sent: 07 January 2021 18:54
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] FH7 just ending with no reason at all at all for a GEDCOM input - why no error message?

 

Hi Phil,

A bit more background would help us narrow down the problem.

You say it happens on both FH V6 and FH V7.

Presumably, it has been a problem for some time or you’ve got both FH versions still installed?

 

Where does this GEDCOM come from?

How do you know it has “islands” and date format errors if it won’t import?

How is Ancestry.co.uk involved?

 

Mike Tate

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Phil Warn
Sent: 07 January 2021 15:19
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] FH7 just ending with no reason at all at all for a GEDCOM input - why no error message?

 

Hi all,

 

This happens to me with both versions 6 and 7.

 

I know my GEDCOM file contains dozens of “islands” and has date format errors but no error message at all? (thanks mainly to Ancestry.co.uk!)

 

I use ALL FH programs but this is the worst for this!!!

 

HELP

 

TIA

 

Phil. Warn

Now in West Moors
Darzet

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

 


Errors

Victor Markham
 

I have been working on my FH tree and after just added some census details I got this message I have V7

Family Historian Exception Report - Friday 08 Jan 2021
=========================================================

  Lines marked "EXCLUDED:" indicate data which has not
  been loaded, and explain why it wasn't loaded.

  Indented lines marked "EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:" indicate
  data lines which are not necessarily invalid in
  themselves but which have had to be excluded as a
  consequence of excluding other lines.

  Lines marked "INFO ONLY:" indicate data that has
  been successfully loaded, but where special action
  was needed to load it (e.g. GEDCOM errors detected
  and automatically corrected by Family Historian).

Record Type=Individual. Gedcom Id=I11117. Record Number=10964.
l.229957 - EXCLUDED: invalid line           : "2  _SHAR "
    l.229958 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "3  ROLE Informant"
    l.229959 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "3  SOUR "
    l.229960 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "4  PAGE Death Certificate"
    l.229961 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "4  DATA "
    l.229962 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "5  DATE 24 DEC 2015"
    l.229963 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "4  QUAY 3"

Record Type=Individual. Gedcom Id=I11880. Record Number=11684.
l.246511 - EXCLUDED: invalid line           : "2  _SHAR "
    l.246512 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "3  ROLE Informant"

Record Type=Individual. Gedcom Id=I21933. Record Number=21444.
l.408998 - EXCLUDED: invalid line           : "1  _FAMC "
    l.408999 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "2  _PEDI Step (father)"
    l.409000 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "2  _PEDI Birth (mother)"

Record Type=Individual. Gedcom Id=I29483. Record Number=28832.
l.544304 - EXCLUDED: invalid line           : "2  _SHAR "
    l.544305 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "3  ROLE Informant"
    l.544306 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "3  SOUR "
    l.544307 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "4  PAGE Death Certificate"
    l.544308 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "4  DATA "
    l.544309 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "5  DATE 25 DEC 2015"
    l.544310 - EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:        : "4  QUAY 3"

---------------------------------------------------------
The numeric portion of Gedcom Ids have been retained as Record Ids.  Use these to match entries to

It opened up on my name with no other family connections shown. I checked my brother and father details they too were alone.

I have also checked other names it appear they have all become stand alone names

Looks as if all names on my tree have become isolated

Victor


2861 - 2880 of 5343