Date   

Adding Titles to individuals

Brian Horridge
 

Hello all

I'm doing some research into several local people that are either a Sir or Lady (Dame) and, as I'm creating mini-trees, I wondered how best to record their titles in FH.

The 2 options I can immediately see are to use "Name - Prefix" or the separate "Title" attribute.  I suppose the advantage of the latter is that I can add a date when they were awarded the honour but it's not immediately associated with what they are called.

I'm not worried (at this stage) about any "sentences" that FH would generate in reports as I just want to record the basic facts.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on best practice.

Many thanks

Brian


Re: deleting files

Mike Tate
 

James, thank you for the screenshots. I am so glad I persevered to get them because the solution I was originally intending to give you does NOT work.

Firstly, those screenshots show that you do NOT have four PROJECTS, but just one PROJECT and three freestanding GEDCOM files.

 

That explains why those have NO Media files in the Project Data Folder because there is no PROJECT for those three.

They cannot be moved from C:\Users\shay\... to Media, because there is no Project Media folder, and that is because there is no PROJECT.

 

Even that one PROJECT is in an odd location and needs an in-depth review of its Media files.

It should be in the standard C:\Users\shay\Documents\Family Historian Projects\... location and not sitting on your Desktop in Shays Tree.

BTW: I know that C:\Users\shay\Documents\Family Historian Projects\... exists because it is listed in your Capture 3.PNG screenshot.

 

So there is a lot of corrective work to be done, but very different from what I expected ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

I presume you would like all your databases to become Projects in the default Family Historian standard location?

 

To prove my point, run Family Historian, use File > Project Window and I suspect only ‘Kelly and O’Kelly Family’ will be listed.

The best way forward is to send me a screenshot of that Project Window listing your Family Historian Projects and the Location: below that list.

 

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of james o'kelly
Sent: 18 July 2020 21:05
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] deleting files

 

Hi Mike, once again I must apologise for misunderstanding your instructions, I think I have now finally grasped what you require of me, I will attach the screen shots as you requested, I know the C:User is not shown on them (screenshots), but in each profile when I click media and then the right hand blue arrow, in the file box, most of them come up as C:User, thank you again for you patience and your help, it must be very frustrating for you, 

PS, the reason I have four projects (although related) is because I was not aware at the time how easy it is to separate them,  

 


Re: deleting files

james o'kelly
 

Hi Mike, once again I must apologise for misunderstanding your instructions, I think I have now finally grasped what you require of me, I will attach the screen shots as you requested, I know the C:User is not shown on them (screenshots), but in each profile when I click media and then the right hand blue arrow, in the file box, most of them come up as C:User, thank you again for you patience and your help, it must be very frustrating for you, 
PS, the reason I have four projects (although related) is because I was not aware at the time how easy it is to separate them,  

On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 12:52 PM Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

No, no, no, James, that is NOT what I asked for.

Some examples of just a few Media filenames do not provide the full details I need of all the Media filenames that you want to move.

Please, please, concentrate on what I am requesting below otherwise I will not be able to help you.

 

You have revealed not only that you have four Projects, but that the Media files are in many different folders:

C:\Users\shay\Pictures\ and C:\Users\shay\Downloads\ and C:\Users\shay\Music\ and maybe others too!

I need to know them all.

 

These are my instructions that you must follow closely or I will give up.

I need four screenshots of the Tools > External File Links window for all four Projects as explained below.

 

Open each Project in turn and run the Tools > External File Links command.

If necessary, drag the edges of the window so that all the C: - Users – shay - folders and filenames are shown in full.

I do NOT need to see all the Project Data Folder entries just all the C: - Users - shay - entries.

Take a Snipping Tool screenshot of each of those four windows, one per Project.

Similar to this:

            A screenshot of a cell phone

Description automatically generated

 


Re: Changing font in reports

Karin Schuette Weiss
 

Mike - Thanks again.  I have now played with the Individual Summary Report and it is
quite nice and I can do just what I had hoped to do with the fonts.  I will be using that
much more in the future. 

I do appreciate your expertise with FH.

Karin Weiss

On 7/18/2020 12:03 PM, Mike Tate wrote:

Sorry, I misread your original posting.

Thought you were talking about the Individual Summary Report instead of the Individual Narrative.

No, it is NOT possible to adjust the font of Notes or particular Facts in Narrative reports in FH. Sorry!

The only possible solution is to use Save Report As > Word-Processor Document (RFT) and edit it in word-processor to change font.

 



Re: Changing font in reports

Mike Tate
 

Sorry, I misread your original posting.

Thought you were talking about the Individual Summary Report instead of the Individual Narrative.

No, it is NOT possible to adjust the font of Notes or particular Facts in Narrative reports in FH. Sorry!

The only possible solution is to use Save Report As > Word-Processor Document (RFT) and edit it in word-processor to change font.

 


Re: Changing font in reports

Karin Schuette Weiss
 

Mike -  Thanks for your help. This all sounded very good to me.  I do think I could live with both the
Address and Note fields having a different font and/or color.  They would still stand out.  But I want
to do it for only two Fact Types - Anecdote and Obituary. 

When I go to Report > Options > Format and look at the (top) Font section I do not find Subsection
Data.  The closest choice I see is Section Data.  And changing that changes the font/color of almost
the entire report.  Is it possible to just change the font/color for only two fact types?

Using Ver. 6.2.7.

Thank you,
Karin Weiss

On 7/17/2020 4:29 PM, Mike Tate wrote:

If you don’t mind the Address field, as well as the Note field, having a different font then yes that can be done.

With the Report displayed, use the Report > Options > Format tab.

In the Font section at the top select the Subsection Data entry and click the Edit button at the bottom.

There you can choose the Font, Style, Size, and Colour then click OK, and OK again.

Regards, Mike Tate

-----Original Message-----
From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Karin Schuette Weiss
Sent: 17 July 2020 22:02
To: FHUG <family-historian@groups.io>
Subject: [family-historian] Changing font in reports

I have many newspaper articles entered in my data as either Anecdote or Obituary Fact Types.  The body of the articles are entered in the Note field.  When I produce a report (such as an Individual Narrative), it would make them easier to read if the Note section could print a different font and /or color.  Is it possible to do that?



Re: Sources For: drop-down menu

Geoff Culbertson
 

Thanks Mike, I will never be completely conventional but I will try to be more conventional! I am beginning to get the hang of sources, but find the best way to learn is by playing with it and making mistakes. I understand your instructions and have actually been doing near enough what you say.
Keep safe and well, Geoff


Re: Rearrange Media Folder

Mike Tate
 

Have you sent this message to the correct recipients?

family-historian@groups.io do not send packages.

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Patrick Nicholson
Sent: 17 July 2020 18:02
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Rearrange Media Folder

 

Ignore my last message, package now received.

 

Patrick Nicholson


Re: Sources For: drop-down menu

Mike Tate
 

Your approach is not the conventional method.

 

Firstly, the square brackets identify the instances of the Fact for the person.

So in your screenshot, Occupation refers to 1st Occupation fact, Occupation[2] refers to 2nd Occupation fact, and Occupation[3] refers to 3rd Occupation fact.

 

The Media tab in your screenshot is conventionally reserved for photographs of the person or other personal pictures.

Such pictures appear in the Focus Window, in Diagrams and in Reports as an image of the person.

 

Source documents are added differently.

Consider the 1867-12-14 Probate notice that is presumably a source for the Probate fact.

In the Facts tab, you would select the Probate fact and it will appear in the Sources For box of the yellow Source Citation pane.

Then you click the Add Citation button, and then the New… button to create a new Source record, fill in some details, and click the Create button.

Now click the large blue arrow Go To Source Record button to open the Source record Property Box where you add the Probate notice to its Media tab.

If there are other facts derived from this document, such as the Executor or the Beneficiaries, then they should add a Citation to the same Source record.

 

There is more advice on this topic in the FHUG Knowledge Base and there are many more options than I can devote space to here.

https://www.fhug.org.uk/

 

Regards, Mike Tate

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of glio.gen via groups.io
Sent: 18 July 2020 11:59
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Sources For: drop-down menu

 

I have been using FH for many years but only recently have had the time and the inclination to input Sources for all the data I have amassed. This is a major back-conversion exercise! I have some screen traps of newspapers under the Media tab and when I added a Source for one, it applied to every other item in the Media tab for that person. I then noticed the drop-down menu for Sources For: with <whole record>, which made sense, but when I clicked the drop-down menu I noticed a whole lot of options, some of which were followed by a number in square brackets. Am I trying to do this the wrong way?


Re: deleting files

Mike Tate
 

No, no, no, James, that is NOT what I asked for.

Some examples of just a few Media filenames do not provide the full details I need of all the Media filenames that you want to move.

Please, please, concentrate on what I am requesting below otherwise I will not be able to help you.

 

You have revealed not only that you have four Projects, but that the Media files are in many different folders:

C:\Users\shay\Pictures\ and C:\Users\shay\Downloads\ and C:\Users\shay\Music\ and maybe others too!

I need to know them all.

 

These are my instructions that you must follow closely or I will give up.

I need four screenshots of the Tools > External File Links window for all four Projects as explained below.

 

Open each Project in turn and run the Tools > External File Links command.

If necessary, drag the edges of the window so that all the C: - Users – shay - folders and filenames are shown in full.

I do NOT need to see all the Project Data Folder entries just all the C: - Users - shay - entries.

Take a Snipping Tool screenshot of each of those four windows, one per Project.

Similar to this:

            A screenshot of a cell phone

Description automatically generated

 


Re: Rearrange Media Folder

Patrick Nicholson
 

Ignore my last message, package now received.

 

Patrick Nicholson

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Lorna Craig via groups.io
Sent: Friday 17 July 2020 17:38
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Rearrange Media Folder

 

Hi John,

Yes, you can create new sub folders and move the media files accordingly.   To mend the broken links you can then use Tools > External File Links and click the Auto Repair Links button. 

The FH Help file explains as follows:

"This button will prompt Family Historian to attempt to find missing media files and fix any 'broken' links. This can be a slow process, but a progress dialog is displayed so you can stop the search at any time if you wish. The search will begin with the current project folder, and ripple outwards from the current project, eventually including other fixed drives on your PC if necessary (and if there are any). The search will stop automatically when all missing files are found. As well as finding missing files, this function will also check if links to media files in the media subfolder of the project folder are setup as they should be, and will automatically fix the links if necessary."

I suggest you start by creating just one sub folder and moving a small number of files into it to test the procedure before you do the full reconstruction, to make sure it works as you want it to.

Lorna

On 17/07/2020 16:29, johnfirr via groups.io wrote:

I have been happily loading various media directly into my project media folder over a period of time.
However it has now come to the point where I would like to tidy that folder up a bit by adding a simple series of subfolders for documents, people, places.
I see that media represents quite a big chunk of the forum traffic so it seems easy to go astray.

I understand that I can access the project media folder through file manager and create the new sub folders and move the media files accordingly. But what is the correct procedure to follow to avoid ending up with broken links etc?


Sources For: drop-down menu

Geoff Culbertson
 

I have been using FH for many years but only recently have had the time and the inclination to input Sources for all the data I have amassed. This is a major back-conversion exercise! I have some screen traps of newspapers under the Media tab and when I added a Source for one, it applied to every other item in the Media tab for that person. I then noticed the drop-down menu for Sources For: with <whole record>, which made sense, but when I clicked the drop-down menu I noticed a whole lot of options, some of which were followed by a number in square brackets. Am I trying to do this the wrong way?


Re: deleting files

james o'kelly
 

I have followed Neil's advice re snipping tool (did not know about that) here are a couple examples of what I am trying to do, but sometimes they disappear, I have four different family trees on the go at the moment, Coote, O'Kelly, Quinn, and Fisher, I have found out quite a lot on each, re these newspaper notices and would like to save them for good, I am sorry that I have not been clearer with my replies, hope this is what you need from me at this stage, 

regards James

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 9:58 AM Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

James, please, please, can you respond with more complete answers, otherwise this is going take much longer than it should.

 

You did not answer my question about whether all the images are located in that C:\Users\shay\Pictures\ folder, or are they in various sub-folders?

 

You provided a screenshot last week by taking a photo image of the screen.

Or you can follow Neil’s advice and use the Windows Snipping Tool available in Windows 7.

 

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of james o'kelly
Sent: 17 July 2020 07:59
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] deleting files

 

sorry Mike, re the C:/ media files,...... "example" it is displayed as C:\Users\shay\Pictures\uncle Jimmy Coote.jpg,

shay being my usher name, I cannot do a screenshot as I am on windows 7,   

 


Re: Changing font in reports

Mike Tate
 

If you don’t mind the Address field, as well as the Note field, having a different font then yes that can be done.

With the Report displayed, use the Report > Options > Format tab.

In the Font section at the top select the Subsection Data entry and click the Edit button at the bottom.

There you can choose the Font, Style, Size, and Colour then click OK, and OK again.

Regards, Mike Tate

-----Original Message-----
From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Karin Schuette Weiss
Sent: 17 July 2020 22:02
To: FHUG <family-historian@groups.io>
Subject: [family-historian] Changing font in reports

I have many newspaper articles entered in my data as either Anecdote or Obituary Fact Types.  The body of the articles are entered in the Note field.  When I produce a report (such as an Individual Narrative), it would make them easier to read if the Note section could print a different font and /or color.  Is it possible to do that?


Changing font in reports

Karin Schuette Weiss
 

I have many newspaper articles entered in my data as either Anecdote or
Obituary Fact Types.  The body of the articles are entered in the Note
field.  When I produce a report (such as an Individual Narrative), it
would make them easier to read if the Note section could print a different
font and /or color.  Is it possible to do that?

I am using Ver. 6.2.7.

Thank you,
Karin Weiss


Re: Rearrange Media Folder

johnfirr@...
 

Hey Lorna,
thats great information. Just what I was looking for. I,ll give that a try.
regards
John


Re: Rearrange Media Folder

Lorna Craig
 

Hi John,

Yes, you can create new sub folders and move the media files accordingly.   To mend the broken links you can then use Tools > External File Links and click the Auto Repair Links button. 

The FH Help file explains as follows:

"This button will prompt Family Historian to attempt to find missing media files and fix any 'broken' links. This can be a slow process, but a progress dialog is displayed so you can stop the search at any time if you wish. The search will begin with the current project folder, and ripple outwards from the current project, eventually including other fixed drives on your PC if necessary (and if there are any). The search will stop automatically when all missing files are found. As well as finding missing files, this function will also check if links to media files in the media subfolder of the project folder are setup as they should be, and will automatically fix the links if necessary."

I suggest you start by creating just one sub folder and moving a small number of files into it to test the procedure before you do the full reconstruction, to make sure it works as you want it to.

Lorna

On 17/07/2020 16:29, johnfirr via groups.io wrote:
I have been happily loading various media directly into my project media folder over a period of time.
However it has now come to the point where I would like to tidy that folder up a bit by adding a simple series of subfolders for documents, people, places.
I see that media represents quite a big chunk of the forum traffic so it seems easy to go astray.

I understand that I can access the project media folder through file manager and create the new sub folders and move the media files accordingly. But what is the correct procedure to follow to avoid ending up with broken links etc?


Re: Rearrange Media Folder

Victor Markham
 

What I have done is set up folders for surnames on my tree with subfolders for each member of the family. In addition I have folders for certificates with sub folders for births  marriages etc. Also a folder for census images with subfolders for each census years. From these folders I copy to FH under the relevant names

On 17 Jul 2020, at 16:30, "johnfirr via groups.io" <yahoo.co.uk@groups.io target=_blank>johnfirr=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
I have been happily loading various media directly into my project media folder over a period of time.
However it has now come to the point where I would like to tidy that folder up a bit by adding a simple series of subfolders for documents, people, places.
I see that media represents quite a big chunk of the forum traffic so it seems easy to go astray.

I understand that I can access the project media folder through file manager and create the new sub folders and move the media files accordingly. But what is the correct procedure to follow to avoid ending up with broken links etc?

regards
John


Rearrange Media Folder

johnfirr@...
 

I have been happily loading various media directly into my project media folder over a period of time.
However it has now come to the point where I would like to tidy that folder up a bit by adding a simple series of subfolders for documents, people, places.
I see that media represents quite a big chunk of the forum traffic so it seems easy to go astray.

I understand that I can access the project media folder through file manager and create the new sub folders and move the media files accordingly. But what is the correct procedure to follow to avoid ending up with broken links etc?

regards
John


Re: deleting files

Mike Tate
 

James, please, please, can you respond with more complete answers, otherwise this is going take much longer than it should.

 

You did not answer my question about whether all the images are located in that C:\Users\shay\Pictures\ folder, or are they in various sub-folders?

 

You provided a screenshot last week by taking a photo image of the screen.

Or you can follow Neil’s advice and use the Windows Snipping Tool available in Windows 7.

 

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of james o'kelly
Sent: 17 July 2020 07:59
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] deleting files

 

sorry Mike, re the C:/ media files,...... "example" it is displayed as C:\Users\shay\Pictures\uncle Jimmy Coote.jpg,

shay being my usher name, I cannot do a screenshot as I am on windows 7,   

 

3181 - 3200 of 4343