Date   

Citation Media

Keith Taylor
 

I have about 8000 images in my Media folder. Many of them seem to have come from a merge 4 or 5 years ago of my FTM tree into FH. They're mostly images of baptism, marriage, burial records etc.

I'm currently looking at a burial event in an individual's All tab. If I open the Source sub-tree there is a multimedia object there as a child of the source item but it doesn't exist as a child item if I go and look at the source record itself. In the Show Sources panel, clicking on images reveals the image to be 'Citation Media'. There is another option, Source Record Media, which DOES appear as a child of the source.

So is it possible to access Citation Media programmatically? I can't see a way to do so.

K


Re: User Defined shortcuts

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk
 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of johnfirr via groups.io
Sent: 02 July 2020 11:34
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] User Defined shortcuts

 

is it possible to set up user defined shortcut keys in FH? As well as for family history I am using FH to record master data for a one name study. As it is not designed really for this type of study which initially at least throws up a lot of unlinked individuals I find myself constantly having to redefine the root person to get to their record. It would be good If I could set up a shortcut or function key allowing me to redefine root directly from the individuals list without going via a seperate menu. Is this possible?

John


Re: User Defined shortcuts

Jane Taubman
 

I don't think so, unless you use something like autohotkey.

> I find myself constantly having to redefine the root person to get to their record.
I am not clear why you need to "redefine the root person to get to their record",  you can jump to the Property box or Focus window or anywhere else using the icons at the top and set the double click for the Record list to take you to the Property box and use Named Lists to hold the people whose records you are working with.



--


Re: Online Repository Assistant.

Robert
 

Thanks for that BobH, I actually just worked it out another way <[?:Registration Quarter=Q1]Mar><[?:Registration Quarter=Q2]Jun><[?:Registration Quarter=Q3]Sep><[?:Registration Quarter=Q4]Dec>

But your version is a lot neater and efficient, thank you.

Rob

On Thursday, 2 July 2020, 11:36:07 BST, <rmwhunter@...> wrote:


What you need is a conditional expression: something along the lines of :

<[?:Registration Quarter=Q1]March|[?:Registration Quarter=Q2]June|[?:Registration Quarter=Q3]September|[?:Registration Quarter=Q4]December>

Where the whole expression is surrounded by the <> brackets and each part of the expression is divided by the | bar

This expression is asking “if the [Registration Quarter] field is “Q1” then type plain text “March” if not then evaluate the next expression” and so on

BobH

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert via groups.io
Sent: 02 July 2020 10:54
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Online Repository Assistant.

 

This works for one Qtr [Registration Quarter:replace:Q4:Dec], but how do I look for the other three as well?

 

On Thursday, 2 July 2020, 10:17:05 BST, Robert Lund <lundr2001@...> wrote:

 

 

Learnt a bit more more, now my script looks like:

 

{FAST}[Registration Quarter] [Registration Year]{Tab}{DOWN*4}{Tab}[Registration Year] [Registration Quarter] in [District:uppercase] Volume [Volume:lowercase] Page [Page]{Tab}Mother [Mother's Maiden Surname:uppercase]

 

Changed how fast the data is entered into the form, and Changed mother's name and District to all uppercase - this is how I like it. The only thing I'm now stuck on, is changing the Registration Quarter from Q4 to Dec?

 

Output now looks like:

 

Q4 1878

Secondary evidence

1878 Q4 in KENDAL Volume 10b Page 699 (I would prefer it to be 1878 Dec in KENDAL Volume 10b Page 699

Mother SCOTT

 

Hope this helps

Rob

 

On Thursday, 2 July 2020, 09:31:54 BST, Robert via groups.io <lundr2001@...> wrote:

 

 

There is a {PAUSE} key Patricia, that might work.


Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Thursday, July 2, 2020, 09:18, waltonnz <walton.patricia@...> wrote:

Thank you, that's a good idea. But, I think you can stop the auto text and receive a prompt as there's a video from Chris online showing it done.  At least that's what it looks like to me. It doesn't show the template though so I don't know how she does it.

Patricia

 

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 17:25, Robert via groups.io <lundr2001=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I don’t think that the script allows you pause during execution. I chose the Secondary evidence option because that is what I normally use for this type of entry. If you need to leave it at it’s default of no selection, and enter your own selection after the script has finished, then just take out the {DOWN} instructions.


Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Wednesday, July 1, 2020, 22:27, waltonnz <walton.patricia@...> wrote:

I think I've worked it out. The Registration Quarter and year went into Entry Date, then tab down to Assessment and choose Secondary Evidence, then tab to Where Within Source and enter Registration Year in Reg District Volume and and Page numbers, then tab to Text From Source and enter Mother's maiden name. If I'm right I've just one question. How would you cause the auto type to stop at Assessment and allow you to choose another option? It all sounds very exciting. Thank you for sharing.

Patricia

 

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 06:48, Robert via groups.io <lundr2001=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Just input this Auto Type for GRO Birth Index Source Citation. It works well so far!

 

[Registration Quarter] [Registration Year]{Tab}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{Tab}[Registration Year] [Registration Quarter] in [District] Volume [Volume] Page [Page]{Tab}Mother [Mother's Maiden Surname]

 

Robert

 

Virus-free. www.avg.com


User Defined shortcuts

johnfirr@...
 

is it possible to set up user defined shortcut keys in FH? As well as for family history I am using FH to record master data for a one name study. As it is not designed really for this type of study which initially at least throws up a lot of unlinked individuals I find myself constantly having to redefine the root person to get to their record. It would be good If I could set up a shortcut or function key allowing me to redefine root directly from the individuals list without going via a seperate menu. Is this possible?

John


Re: Online Repository Assistant.

Robert
 

This now matches the GRO entry:

[Registration Year] <[?:Registration Quarter=Q1]M|[?:Registration Quarter=Q2]J|[?:Registration Quarter=Q3]S|[?:Registration Quarter=Q4]D> Quarter in [District:uppercase] Volume [Volume] Page [Page]


On Thursday, 2 July 2020, 11:36:07 BST, rmwhunter@... <rmwhunter@...> wrote:


What you need is a conditional expression: something along the lines of :

<[?:Registration Quarter=Q1]March|[?:Registration Quarter=Q2]June|[?:Registration Quarter=Q3]September|[?:Registration Quarter=Q4]December>

Where the whole expression is surrounded by the <> brackets and each part of the expression is divided by the | bar

This expression is asking “if the [Registration Quarter] field is “Q1” then type plain text “March” if not then evaluate the next expression” and so on

BobH

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert via groups.io
Sent: 02 July 2020 10:54
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Online Repository Assistant.

 

This works for one Qtr [Registration Quarter:replace:Q4:Dec], but how do I look for the other three as well?

 

On Thursday, 2 July 2020, 10:17:05 BST, Robert Lund <lundr2001@...> wrote:

 

 

Learnt a bit more more, now my script looks like:

 

{FAST}[Registration Quarter] [Registration Year]{Tab}{DOWN*4}{Tab}[Registration Year] [Registration Quarter] in [District:uppercase] Volume [Volume:lowercase] Page [Page]{Tab}Mother [Mother's Maiden Surname:uppercase]

 

Changed how fast the data is entered into the form, and Changed mother's name and District to all uppercase - this is how I like it. The only thing I'm now stuck on, is changing the Registration Quarter from Q4 to Dec?

 

Output now looks like:

 

Q4 1878

Secondary evidence

1878 Q4 in KENDAL Volume 10b Page 699 (I would prefer it to be 1878 Dec in KENDAL Volume 10b Page 699

Mother SCOTT

 

Hope this helps

Rob

 

On Thursday, 2 July 2020, 09:31:54 BST, Robert via groups.io <lundr2001@...> wrote:

 

 

There is a {PAUSE} key Patricia, that might work.


Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Thursday, July 2, 2020, 09:18, waltonnz <walton.patricia@...> wrote:

Thank you, that's a good idea. But, I think you can stop the auto text and receive a prompt as there's a video from Chris online showing it done.  At least that's what it looks like to me. It doesn't show the template though so I don't know how she does it.

Patricia

 

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 17:25, Robert via groups.io <lundr2001=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I don’t think that the script allows you pause during execution. I chose the Secondary evidence option because that is what I normally use for this type of entry. If you need to leave it at it’s default of no selection, and enter your own selection after the script has finished, then just take out the {DOWN} instructions.


Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Wednesday, July 1, 2020, 22:27, waltonnz <walton.patricia@...> wrote:

I think I've worked it out. The Registration Quarter and year went into Entry Date, then tab down to Assessment and choose Secondary Evidence, then tab to Where Within Source and enter Registration Year in Reg District Volume and and Page numbers, then tab to Text From Source and enter Mother's maiden name. If I'm right I've just one question. How would you cause the auto type to stop at Assessment and allow you to choose another option? It all sounds very exciting. Thank you for sharing.

Patricia

 

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 06:48, Robert via groups.io <lundr2001=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Just input this Auto Type for GRO Birth Index Source Citation. It works well so far!

 

[Registration Quarter] [Registration Year]{Tab}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{Tab}[Registration Year] [Registration Quarter] in [District] Volume [Volume] Page [Page]{Tab}Mother [Mother's Maiden Surname]

 

Robert

 

Virus-free. www.avg.com


Re: Online Repository Assistant.

@BobH1
 

What you need is a conditional expression: something along the lines of :

<[?:Registration Quarter=Q1]March|[?:Registration Quarter=Q2]June|[?:Registration Quarter=Q3]September|[?:Registration Quarter=Q4]December>

Where the whole expression is surrounded by the <> brackets and each part of the expression is divided by the | bar

This expression is asking “if the [Registration Quarter] field is “Q1” then type plain text “March” if not then evaluate the next expression” and so on

BobH

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert via groups.io
Sent: 02 July 2020 10:54
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Online Repository Assistant.

 

This works for one Qtr [Registration Quarter:replace:Q4:Dec], but how do I look for the other three as well?

 

On Thursday, 2 July 2020, 10:17:05 BST, Robert Lund <lundr2001@...> wrote:

 

 

Learnt a bit more more, now my script looks like:

 

{FAST}[Registration Quarter] [Registration Year]{Tab}{DOWN*4}{Tab}[Registration Year] [Registration Quarter] in [District:uppercase] Volume [Volume:lowercase] Page [Page]{Tab}Mother [Mother's Maiden Surname:uppercase]

 

Changed how fast the data is entered into the form, and Changed mother's name and District to all uppercase - this is how I like it. The only thing I'm now stuck on, is changing the Registration Quarter from Q4 to Dec?

 

Output now looks like:

 

Q4 1878

Secondary evidence

1878 Q4 in KENDAL Volume 10b Page 699 (I would prefer it to be 1878 Dec in KENDAL Volume 10b Page 699

Mother SCOTT

 

Hope this helps

Rob

 

On Thursday, 2 July 2020, 09:31:54 BST, Robert via groups.io <lundr2001@...> wrote:

 

 

There is a {PAUSE} key Patricia, that might work.


Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Thursday, July 2, 2020, 09:18, waltonnz <walton.patricia@...> wrote:

Thank you, that's a good idea. But, I think you can stop the auto text and receive a prompt as there's a video from Chris online showing it done.  At least that's what it looks like to me. It doesn't show the template though so I don't know how she does it.

Patricia

 

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 17:25, Robert via groups.io <lundr2001=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I don’t think that the script allows you pause during execution. I chose the Secondary evidence option because that is what I normally use for this type of entry. If you need to leave it at it’s default of no selection, and enter your own selection after the script has finished, then just take out the {DOWN} instructions.


Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Wednesday, July 1, 2020, 22:27, waltonnz <walton.patricia@...> wrote:

I think I've worked it out. The Registration Quarter and year went into Entry Date, then tab down to Assessment and choose Secondary Evidence, then tab to Where Within Source and enter Registration Year in Reg District Volume and and Page numbers, then tab to Text From Source and enter Mother's maiden name. If I'm right I've just one question. How would you cause the auto type to stop at Assessment and allow you to choose another option? It all sounds very exciting. Thank you for sharing.

Patricia

 

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 06:48, Robert via groups.io <lundr2001=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Just input this Auto Type for GRO Birth Index Source Citation. It works well so far!

 

[Registration Quarter] [Registration Year]{Tab}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{Tab}[Registration Year] [Registration Quarter] in [District] Volume [Volume] Page [Page]{Tab}Mother [Mother's Maiden Surname]

 

Robert

 

Virus-free. www.avg.com


Re: ADMIN - Online Repository Assistant

@BobH1
 

Just to point out to those interested, that ORA does have an active discussion group at ORA-L on Google.Groups.com. There are several helpful and knowledgeable members on that group including ORA’s author John Cardinal.

BobH

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Ros
Sent: 02 July 2020 09:28
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] ADMIN - Online Repository Assistant

 

Please remember this list is for Family Historian.  We do realise ORA can be used along side it,  but detailed discussions of how to use it is off topic for this list.  

Please consider setting up your own list or using the General forum at FHUG  if you would like to consider discussing the program and programs author does not provide a forum or list for the program.


Re: Online Repository Assistant.

Robert
 

This works for one Qtr [Registration Quarter:replace:Q4:Dec], but how do I look for the other three as well?

On Thursday, 2 July 2020, 10:17:05 BST, Robert Lund <lundr2001@...> wrote:


Learnt a bit more more, now my script looks like:

{FAST}[Registration Quarter] [Registration Year]{Tab}{DOWN*4}{Tab}[Registration Year] [Registration Quarter] in [District:uppercase] Volume [Volume:lowercase] Page [Page]{Tab}Mother [Mother's Maiden Surname:uppercase]

Changed how fast the data is entered into the form, and Changed mother's name and District to all uppercase - this is how I like it. The only thing I'm now stuck on, is changing the Registration Quarter from Q4 to Dec?

Output now looks like:

Q4 1878
Secondary evidence
1878 Q4 in KENDAL Volume 10b Page 699 (I would prefer it to be 1878 Dec in KENDAL Volume 10b Page 699
Mother SCOTT

Hope this helps
Rob

On Thursday, 2 July 2020, 09:31:54 BST, Robert via groups.io <lundr2001@...> wrote:


There is a {PAUSE} key Patricia, that might work.


Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Thursday, July 2, 2020, 09:18, waltonnz <walton.patricia@...> wrote:

Thank you, that's a good idea. But, I think you can stop the auto text and receive a prompt as there's a video from Chris online showing it done.  At least that's what it looks like to me. It doesn't show the template though so I don't know how she does it.
Patricia

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 17:25, Robert via groups.io <lundr2001=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I don’t think that the script allows you pause during execution. I chose the Secondary evidence option because that is what I normally use for this type of entry. If you need to leave it at it’s default of no selection, and enter your own selection after the script has finished, then just take out the {DOWN} instructions.


Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Wednesday, July 1, 2020, 22:27, waltonnz <walton.patricia@...> wrote:

I think I've worked it out. The Registration Quarter and year went into Entry Date, then tab down to Assessment and choose Secondary Evidence, then tab to Where Within Source and enter Registration Year in Reg District Volume and and Page numbers, then tab to Text From Source and enter Mother's maiden name. If I'm right I've just one question. How would you cause the auto type to stop at Assessment and allow you to choose another option? It all sounds very exciting. Thank you for sharing.
Patricia

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 06:48, Robert via groups.io <lundr2001=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Just input this Auto Type for GRO Birth Index Source Citation. It works well so far!

[Registration Quarter] [Registration Year]{Tab}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{Tab}[Registration Year] [Registration Quarter] in [District] Volume [Volume] Page [Page]{Tab}Mother [Mother's Maiden Surname]

Robert


Virus-free. www.avg.com


Re: Online Repository Assistant.

waltonnz
 

Thank you Robert. 

Sorry Ros I take your point about this being a Family Historian list. In a way the conversation has been relevant as we're trying to determine how to use Ora with FH and the video I referred to was using FH to insert Auto Type.
Patricia

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 20:31, Robert via groups.io <lundr2001=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
There is a {PAUSE} key Patricia, that might work.


Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Thursday, July 2, 2020, 09:18, waltonnz <walton.patricia@...> wrote:

Thank you, that's a good idea. But, I think you can stop the auto text and receive a prompt as there's a video from Chris online showing it done.  At least that's what it looks like to me. It doesn't show the template though so I don't know how she does it.
Patricia



Virus-free. www.avg.com


Re: Online Repository Assistant.

Robert
 

Learnt a bit more more, now my script looks like:

{FAST}[Registration Quarter] [Registration Year]{Tab}{DOWN*4}{Tab}[Registration Year] [Registration Quarter] in [District:uppercase] Volume [Volume:lowercase] Page [Page]{Tab}Mother [Mother's Maiden Surname:uppercase]

Changed how fast the data is entered into the form, and Changed mother's name and District to all uppercase - this is how I like it. The only thing I'm now stuck on, is changing the Registration Quarter from Q4 to Dec?

Output now looks like:

Q4 1878
Secondary evidence
1878 Q4 in KENDAL Volume 10b Page 699 (I would prefer it to be 1878 Dec in KENDAL Volume 10b Page 699
Mother SCOTT

Hope this helps
Rob

On Thursday, 2 July 2020, 09:31:54 BST, Robert via groups.io <lundr2001@...> wrote:


There is a {PAUSE} key Patricia, that might work.


Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Thursday, July 2, 2020, 09:18, waltonnz <walton.patricia@...> wrote:

Thank you, that's a good idea. But, I think you can stop the auto text and receive a prompt as there's a video from Chris online showing it done.  At least that's what it looks like to me. It doesn't show the template though so I don't know how she does it.
Patricia

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 17:25, Robert via groups.io <lundr2001=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I don’t think that the script allows you pause during execution. I chose the Secondary evidence option because that is what I normally use for this type of entry. If you need to leave it at it’s default of no selection, and enter your own selection after the script has finished, then just take out the {DOWN} instructions.


Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Wednesday, July 1, 2020, 22:27, waltonnz <walton.patricia@...> wrote:

I think I've worked it out. The Registration Quarter and year went into Entry Date, then tab down to Assessment and choose Secondary Evidence, then tab to Where Within Source and enter Registration Year in Reg District Volume and and Page numbers, then tab to Text From Source and enter Mother's maiden name. If I'm right I've just one question. How would you cause the auto type to stop at Assessment and allow you to choose another option? It all sounds very exciting. Thank you for sharing.
Patricia

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 06:48, Robert via groups.io <lundr2001=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Just input this Auto Type for GRO Birth Index Source Citation. It works well so far!

[Registration Quarter] [Registration Year]{Tab}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{Tab}[Registration Year] [Registration Quarter] in [District] Volume [Volume] Page [Page]{Tab}Mother [Mother's Maiden Surname]

Robert


Virus-free. www.avg.com


Re: Online Repository Assistant.

Robert
 

There is a {PAUSE} key Patricia, that might work.


Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Thursday, July 2, 2020, 09:18, waltonnz <walton.patricia@...> wrote:

Thank you, that's a good idea. But, I think you can stop the auto text and receive a prompt as there's a video from Chris online showing it done.  At least that's what it looks like to me. It doesn't show the template though so I don't know how she does it.
Patricia

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 17:25, Robert via groups.io <lundr2001=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I don’t think that the script allows you pause during execution. I chose the Secondary evidence option because that is what I normally use for this type of entry. If you need to leave it at it’s default of no selection, and enter your own selection after the script has finished, then just take out the {DOWN} instructions.


Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Wednesday, July 1, 2020, 22:27, waltonnz <walton.patricia@...> wrote:

I think I've worked it out. The Registration Quarter and year went into Entry Date, then tab down to Assessment and choose Secondary Evidence, then tab to Where Within Source and enter Registration Year in Reg District Volume and and Page numbers, then tab to Text From Source and enter Mother's maiden name. If I'm right I've just one question. How would you cause the auto type to stop at Assessment and allow you to choose another option? It all sounds very exciting. Thank you for sharing.
Patricia

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 06:48, Robert via groups.io <lundr2001=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Just input this Auto Type for GRO Birth Index Source Citation. It works well so far!

[Registration Quarter] [Registration Year]{Tab}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{Tab}[Registration Year] [Registration Quarter] in [District] Volume [Volume] Page [Page]{Tab}Mother [Mother's Maiden Surname]

Robert


Virus-free. www.avg.com


ADMIN - Online Repository Assistant

Ros
 

Please remember this list is for Family Historian.  We do realise ORA can be used along side it,  but detailed discussions of how to use it is off topic for this list.  

Please consider setting up your own list or using the General forum at FHUG  if you would like to consider discussing the program and programs author does not provide a forum or list for the program.


Re: Online Repository Assistant.

waltonnz
 

Thank you, that's a good idea. But, I think you can stop the auto text and receive a prompt as there's a video from Chris online showing it done.  At least that's what it looks like to me. It doesn't show the template though so I don't know how she does it.
Patricia

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 17:25, Robert via groups.io <lundr2001=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I don’t think that the script allows you pause during execution. I chose the Secondary evidence option because that is what I normally use for this type of entry. If you need to leave it at it’s default of no selection, and enter your own selection after the script has finished, then just take out the {DOWN} instructions.


Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Wednesday, July 1, 2020, 22:27, waltonnz <walton.patricia@...> wrote:

I think I've worked it out. The Registration Quarter and year went into Entry Date, then tab down to Assessment and choose Secondary Evidence, then tab to Where Within Source and enter Registration Year in Reg District Volume and and Page numbers, then tab to Text From Source and enter Mother's maiden name. If I'm right I've just one question. How would you cause the auto type to stop at Assessment and allow you to choose another option? It all sounds very exciting. Thank you for sharing.
Patricia

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 06:48, Robert via groups.io <lundr2001=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Just input this Auto Type for GRO Birth Index Source Citation. It works well so far!

[Registration Quarter] [Registration Year]{Tab}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{Tab}[Registration Year] [Registration Quarter] in [District] Volume [Volume] Page [Page]{Tab}Mother [Mother's Maiden Surname]

Robert


Virus-free. www.avg.com


Re: Online Repository Assistant.

Robert
 

Also, I have now realised that I can use {DOWN*4} instead of {DOWN} {DOWN} {DOWN} {DOWN}!


Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Thursday, July 2, 2020, 06:32, Robert via groups.io <lundr2001@...> wrote:

Great Ron. Incidentally, I got that from the ORA website, can’t remember what page, but here is the pdf with other commands that you may find useful.


Rob



Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Thursday, July 2, 2020, 00:05, Ron Chapman <ron@...> wrote:

Great Ive learnt a new thing from you {DOWN}
Ta, Ron


On 1 Jul 2020, at 19:48, Robert via groups.io <lundr2001@...> wrote:

Just input this Auto Type for GRO Birth Index Source Citation. It works well so far!

[Registration Quarter] [Registration Year]{Tab}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{Tab}[Registration Year] [Registration Quarter] in [District] Volume [Volume] Page [Page]{Tab}Mother [Mother's Maiden Surname]

Robert


Re: Online Repository Assistant.

Robert
 

Great Ron. Incidentally, I got that from the ORA website, can’t remember what page, but here is the pdf with other commands that you may find useful.


On Thursday, July 2, 2020, 00:05, Ron Chapman <ron@...> wrote:

Great Ive learnt a new thing from you {DOWN}
Ta, Ron


On 1 Jul 2020, at 19:48, Robert via groups.io <lundr2001@...> wrote:

Just input this Auto Type for GRO Birth Index Source Citation. It works well so far!

[Registration Quarter] [Registration Year]{Tab}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{Tab}[Registration Year] [Registration Quarter] in [District] Volume [Volume] Page [Page]{Tab}Mother [Mother's Maiden Surname]

Robert


Re: Online Repository Assistant.

Robert
 

I don’t think that the script allows you pause during execution. I chose the Secondary evidence option because that is what I normally use for this type of entry. If you need to leave it at it’s default of no selection, and enter your own selection after the script has finished, then just take out the {DOWN} instructions.


Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Wednesday, July 1, 2020, 22:27, waltonnz <walton.patricia@...> wrote:

I think I've worked it out. The Registration Quarter and year went into Entry Date, then tab down to Assessment and choose Secondary Evidence, then tab to Where Within Source and enter Registration Year in Reg District Volume and and Page numbers, then tab to Text From Source and enter Mother's maiden name. If I'm right I've just one question. How would you cause the auto type to stop at Assessment and allow you to choose another option? It all sounds very exciting. Thank you for sharing.
Patricia

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 06:48, Robert via groups.io <lundr2001=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Just input this Auto Type for GRO Birth Index Source Citation. It works well so far!

[Registration Quarter] [Registration Year]{Tab}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{Tab}[Registration Year] [Registration Quarter] in [District] Volume [Volume] Page [Page]{Tab}Mother [Mother's Maiden Surname]

Robert


Virus-free. www.avg.com


Re: Online Repository Assistant.

Ron Chapman
 

Great Ive learnt a new thing from you {DOWN}
Ta, Ron


On 1 Jul 2020, at 19:48, Robert via groups.io <lundr2001@...> wrote:

Just input this Auto Type for GRO Birth Index Source Citation. It works well so far!

[Registration Quarter] [Registration Year]{Tab}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{Tab}[Registration Year] [Registration Quarter] in [District] Volume [Volume] Page [Page]{Tab}Mother [Mother's Maiden Surname]

Robert


Re: Online Repository Assistant

Ron Chapman
 


On 30/06/2020 23:

Using ORA for entering data from Workhouse Records into Family Historian.

This is my first attempt and it seems to work. I will do more testing soon.

Find My Past have a fine set Workhouse records for Liverpool amongst many others. My ancestor Charles William Thornton was in and out of the many Workhouses / Hospitals in Liverpool over many years. From this I found that different registers exist. For instance the Creed Registers, the Index To Admission, Discharge And Religious Creed Register, the Admissions & Discharges (Religious Creed Register), the Admissions Register, Register Of Children etc. Each of these books has its columns organised in a different way with differing information. Find my Past have images attached of the register.

Find My Past has an index that shows a few of the details. For instance First Name(s), Last Name, Year, Age, Birth Year, Place, but not much more. It is this data that ORA extracts. (Plus source and citation details)

It misses information such as creed, Married or Single, Calling (Occupation), By whose order Admitted, Parish from which sent, Disease, Date Admitted, Date Discharged to where, Ward,  Street or Court from whence brought, Address of Friends for example. So ORA will catch none of this.

So I see the main use for ORA with Workhouse records is to get ORA to set up Automatic Source and Citation and then use this to enter the other details by hand as usual, one by one.

To set up an Auto Type Template for Source use the following –

Reminder: Source –

Go to Add in Main menu and in the drop down list select Source ... In the property box place the cursor in the title box. Press the Auto Text button 1 and the boxes will auto fill. You will still have to add the repository by hand. Find My Past in this case.

Template: Source –

[Register type], [Record set], [Institution], [Place], [County], [Country]{TAB}[Category], [Subcategory]{TAB}[Register type] of [Institution]{TAB}[Archive]{TAB}{TAB}[Register type], [Records year range], [Archive reference], [Record ID], [Page.URL]

To set up an Auto Type Template for Citation use the following –

Reminder: Citation –

Open the Automatic Source Citation panel. Click in the Source box to place the cursor there and then click on the Auto Text button 2 and the boxes will auto fill. You will still have to add your Assessment. When you have navigated to the person you wish to add the workhouse information to then enable the Automatic Source Citation.

Template: Citation –

[Register type], [Record set], [Institution], [Place], [County], [Country]{TAB}{TAB}{TAB}{TAB}{TAB}{TAB}{TAB}[Page.Access Date]{TAB}{TAB}[Page.Title], [Page.URL]{TAB}<Record set: [Record set]><, Register type: [Register type]><, Institution: [Institution]><, Place: [Place], [County]><, Year: [Year]><, First name(s): [First name(s)]><, Last name: [Last name]><, Age: [Age]><, Birth year: [Birth year]>

Not everyone requires that degree of detail so modify it to suit your needs.

I created two attributes called Workhouse and Hospital in Family Historian. (In my case the first institute he was in was called a Hospital not a Workhouse) In Family Historian add the appropriate attribute to your subject.

To set up an Auto Type Template for Hospital/Workhouse use the following –

Reminder: Hospital/Workhouse –

Open the Hospital or Workhouse attribute. (If necessary create them.) Click in the Hospital/Workhouse box to place the cursor there and then click on the Auto Text button 3 and the boxes will auto fill. You will still have to add any notes that you will require.

Template: Hospital/Workhouse –

[Institution]{TAB}[Year]{TAB}<[Age]>{TAB}[Institution]<, [Place]><, [County]><, [Country]>

 

Whilst the auto citation is still working, add Occupation, Disease, Next of Kin etc.

When you have finished do not forget to disable Auto Source Citations.

A bit rambling but I hope this helps.

Ron

37, waltonnz wrote:

Ron and Chris. Thank you both for your feedback on ORA. I look forward to hearing how you get on with other records. I've been thinking of taking the plunge myself and spent hours yesterday following the video. I'm a little fuzzy as yet about the templates, so any template sharing relevant to FH or AS would be welcome. I'm going to follow more of the tutorial videos today and hopefully it will become a little clearer.
Regards Patricia

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 at 10:15, Ron Chapman <ron@...> wrote:

Many thanks Chris,

I have taken the plunge an got my own copy of ORA. It  is a nice program. I have done some experimenting with templates myself and they are easy enough but  they take sometime to prepare. I tried it with two 1911 censuses. One was of an workhouse record and the other was of an ordinary household. To get the template right for both censuses I had to do quite a bit of adjusting, using conditional forms etc. I tried to enter data into Ancestral Sources without much luck. A plain paste works OK and is slightly useful but Auto Type Templates bring up an error.

At the moment I cannot see ORA replacing Ancestral Sources but if it can be made to work with AS then that would be good. (For instance entering, place, address, Ref. Id. and Other info in a census at the touch of a button would be good.) It seems to work fine with FH. I will next look at it's usefulness in entering data of the less common types. (School records, Workhouse Records, Army Records etc.)

When I too have something to share, I will post it here.

Many Thanks again, Ron

On 30/06/2020 21:49, Chris wrote:
Ron, it seems relatively easy if you are logical and understand basic computer commands. Since my first attempts John has improved ORA to make it much easier. I am still playing, but have been very busy the last few weeks so unable to spend the time on it that I want to. I will be happy to share any templates I create here on this list, once I get a chance to document them.



Re: Online Repository Assistant.

waltonnz
 

I think I've worked it out. The Registration Quarter and year went into Entry Date, then tab down to Assessment and choose Secondary Evidence, then tab to Where Within Source and enter Registration Year in Reg District Volume and and Page numbers, then tab to Text From Source and enter Mother's maiden name. If I'm right I've just one question. How would you cause the auto type to stop at Assessment and allow you to choose another option? It all sounds very exciting. Thank you for sharing.
Patricia

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 06:48, Robert via groups.io <lundr2001=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Just input this Auto Type for GRO Birth Index Source Citation. It works well so far!

[Registration Quarter] [Registration Year]{Tab}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{Tab}[Registration Year] [Registration Quarter] in [District] Volume [Volume] Page [Page]{Tab}Mother [Mother's Maiden Surname]

Robert


Virus-free. www.avg.com

3121 - 3140 of 4119