Re: Online Repository Assistant

Ron Chapman

On 30/06/2020 23:

Using ORA for entering data from Workhouse Records into Family Historian.

This is my first attempt and it seems to work. I will do more testing soon.

Find My Past have a fine set Workhouse records for Liverpool amongst many others. My ancestor Charles William Thornton was in and out of the many Workhouses / Hospitals in Liverpool over many years. From this I found that different registers exist. For instance the Creed Registers, the Index To Admission, Discharge And Religious Creed Register, the Admissions & Discharges (Religious Creed Register), the Admissions Register, Register Of Children etc. Each of these books has its columns organised in a different way with differing information. Find my Past have images attached of the register.

Find My Past has an index that shows a few of the details. For instance First Name(s), Last Name, Year, Age, Birth Year, Place, but not much more. It is this data that ORA extracts. (Plus source and citation details)

It misses information such as creed, Married or Single, Calling (Occupation), By whose order Admitted, Parish from which sent, Disease, Date Admitted, Date Discharged to where, Ward,  Street or Court from whence brought, Address of Friends for example. So ORA will catch none of this.

So I see the main use for ORA with Workhouse records is to get ORA to set up Automatic Source and Citation and then use this to enter the other details by hand as usual, one by one.

To set up an Auto Type Template for Source use the following –

Reminder: Source –

Go to Add in Main menu and in the drop down list select Source ... In the property box place the cursor in the title box. Press the Auto Text button 1 and the boxes will auto fill. You will still have to add the repository by hand. Find My Past in this case.

Template: Source –

[Register type], [Record set], [Institution], [Place], [County], [Country]{TAB}[Category], [Subcategory]{TAB}[Register type] of [Institution]{TAB}[Archive]{TAB}{TAB}[Register type], [Records year range], [Archive reference], [Record ID], [Page.URL]

To set up an Auto Type Template for Citation use the following –

Reminder: Citation –

Open the Automatic Source Citation panel. Click in the Source box to place the cursor there and then click on the Auto Text button 2 and the boxes will auto fill. You will still have to add your Assessment. When you have navigated to the person you wish to add the workhouse information to then enable the Automatic Source Citation.

Template: Citation –

[Register type], [Record set], [Institution], [Place], [County], [Country]{TAB}{TAB}{TAB}{TAB}{TAB}{TAB}{TAB}[Page.Access Date]{TAB}{TAB}[Page.Title], [Page.URL]{TAB}<Record set: [Record set]><, Register type: [Register type]><, Institution: [Institution]><, Place: [Place], [County]><, Year: [Year]><, First name(s): [First name(s)]><, Last name: [Last name]><, Age: [Age]><, Birth year: [Birth year]>

Not everyone requires that degree of detail so modify it to suit your needs.

I created two attributes called Workhouse and Hospital in Family Historian. (In my case the first institute he was in was called a Hospital not a Workhouse) In Family Historian add the appropriate attribute to your subject.

To set up an Auto Type Template for Hospital/Workhouse use the following –

Reminder: Hospital/Workhouse –

Open the Hospital or Workhouse attribute. (If necessary create them.) Click in the Hospital/Workhouse box to place the cursor there and then click on the Auto Text button 3 and the boxes will auto fill. You will still have to add any notes that you will require.

Template: Hospital/Workhouse –

[Institution]{TAB}[Year]{TAB}<[Age]>{TAB}[Institution]<, [Place]><, [County]><, [Country]>

Whilst the auto citation is still working, add Occupation, Disease, Next of Kin etc.

When you have finished do not forget to disable Auto Source Citations.

A bit rambling but I hope this helps.

Ron

37, waltonnz wrote:

Ron and Chris. Thank you both for your feedback on ORA. I look forward to hearing how you get on with other records. I've been thinking of taking the plunge myself and spent hours yesterday following the video. I'm a little fuzzy as yet about the templates, so any template sharing relevant to FH or AS would be welcome. I'm going to follow more of the tutorial videos today and hopefully it will become a little clearer.
Regards Patricia

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 at 10:15, Ron Chapman <ron@...> wrote:

Many thanks Chris,

I have taken the plunge an got my own copy of ORA. It  is a nice program. I have done some experimenting with templates myself and they are easy enough but  they take sometime to prepare. I tried it with two 1911 censuses. One was of an workhouse record and the other was of an ordinary household. To get the template right for both censuses I had to do quite a bit of adjusting, using conditional forms etc. I tried to enter data into Ancestral Sources without much luck. A plain paste works OK and is slightly useful but Auto Type Templates bring up an error.

At the moment I cannot see ORA replacing Ancestral Sources but if it can be made to work with AS then that would be good. (For instance entering, place, address, Ref. Id. and Other info in a census at the touch of a button would be good.) It seems to work fine with FH. I will next look at it's usefulness in entering data of the less common types. (School records, Workhouse Records, Army Records etc.)

When I too have something to share, I will post it here.

Many Thanks again, Ron

On 30/06/2020 21:49, Chris wrote:
Ron, it seems relatively easy if you are logical and understand basic computer commands. Since my first attempts John has improved ORA to make it much easier. I am still playing, but have been very busy the last few weeks so unable to spend the time on it that I want to. I will be happy to share any templates I create here on this list, once I get a chance to document them.