Re: File path incorrect, New Windows 10 laptop, FH v 6.27 newly installed

Mike Tate

Carol,

I am sorry you are having those problems.

The way forward is to describe your symptoms in a lot more detail and provide screenshot attachments.

You can see what is happening but unless you describe it accurately we cannot give the appropriate help.

When referring to files please give as much of the file path and file name as possible.

When referring to displays and commands, describe the relevant details fully.

I am going to ask lots of questions, so please answer as many as possible in order to get a solution as quickly as possible.

As you say, in the File > Project Window the default Location for your Projects is My Documents\Family Historian Projects.

Does that Family Historian Projects folder exist in your Documents folder when viewed via Windows File Explorer?

In Tools > Preferences > Startup what is the Default Startup File path?

Exactly what is the filename of the backup zip file you restored?

When you used File > Backup/Restore > Restore Backup and chose that zip file what di it say in Location to Restore to: ?

If necessary repeat that command but when reaching that Restore Project from Backup small window click on Cancel.

In the File > Project Window does it actually say Current Project: C:\Users\... or Current Gedcom File: C:\Users\...?

On the very top line of the main FH window does it say  - Family Historian Project – or – Family Historian Gedcom - ?

There is a detailed guide in the FHUG Knowledge Base for migrating from PC to PC and transferring all your Projects, etc.

So you may be better advised to join the FHUG https://www.fhug.org.uk/ which is free and follow the advice there.

Regards, Mike Tate