Re: Online Repository Assistant

waltonnz

Ron and Chris. Thank you both for your feedback on ORA. I look forward to hearing how you get on with other records. I've been thinking of taking the plunge myself and spent hours yesterday following the video. I'm a little fuzzy as yet about the templates, so any template sharing relevant to FH or AS would be welcome. I'm going to follow more of the tutorial videos today and hopefully it will become a little clearer.
Regards Patricia

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 at 10:15, Ron Chapman <ron@...> wrote:

Many thanks Chris,

I have taken the plunge an got my own copy of ORA. It  is a nice program. I have done some experimenting with templates myself and they are easy enough but  they take sometime to prepare. I tried it with two 1911 censuses. One was of an workhouse record and the other was of an ordinary household. To get the template right for both censuses I had to do quite a bit of adjusting, using conditional forms etc. I tried to enter data into Ancestral Sources without much luck. A plain paste works OK and is slightly useful but Auto Type Templates bring up an error.

At the moment I cannot see ORA replacing Ancestral Sources but if it can be made to work with AS then that would be good. (For instance entering, place, address, Ref. Id. and Other info in a census at the touch of a button would be good.) It seems to work fine with FH. I will next look at it's usefulness in entering data of the less common types. (School records, Workhouse Records, Army Records etc.)

When I too have something to share, I will post it here.

Many Thanks again, Ron

On 30/06/2020 21:49, Chris wrote:
Ron, it seems relatively easy if you are logical and understand basic computer commands. Since my first attempts John has improved ORA to make it much easier. I am still playing, but have been very busy the last few weeks so unable to spend the time on it that I want to. I will be happy to share any templates I create here on this list, once I get a chance to document them.