Re: Synchronising two computers

Cathy Roberts

Hello Mike & thank you for your prompt reply. As I haven’t got a handy USB pen drive at the moment I thought I’d try the Google Drive option & so I have been reading all the instructions about how to set up GD in the first place & the FHUG instructions too.

All went well until I came to the Backup&Restore Plugin instructions – step 1 says to check the file links & to ask for help in the forum if anything untoward appears.

The window initially only showed the Media Folder but I had three X marks in the file links. However, as far as I could see each of these media items is accompanied by the same item without an X

 Clicking on Auto Repair Links resulted in the offending links disappearing from the Project data folder but changed the window to show C: as well, (which hadn’t been there before) , which bewildered me!

At one time I did try using Dropbox but that was quite a long time ago.  So I am now not sure what I have done or if it is ok to proceed?

Another question has to do with snapshots – there is a snapshot subfolder in the .fh_data folder with an awful lot of snapshots, all taking up megabytes of space & from the look of their names, quite old. Should I delete these  - & do they just mount up over a period of time?

Your wise counsel would be much appreciated - & as I proceed no doubt more questions will come to light!

Many thanks in anticipation

Cathy

On Sat, 6 Jun 2020 at 20:06, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Hi Cathy,

All the alternatives you have suggested are quite well-trodden paths that FH users have employed.

Regarding cloud storage there is a free allowance on each service, beyond which you must pay:

            Dropbox          = 2 GB

            OneDrive        = 5 GB

            Google Drive = 15 GB

Everything in your Family Historian Projects folder would have to fit within one of those allowances.

But other document folders for other purposes can go on another cloud service and all those services can run simultaneously.

They all have configuration settings that ensure local disk copies will exist on both of your computers as well as in the cloud store.

So, yes you will be able to operate perfectly well without Internet access and then resync once the Internet connection is restored.

There is advice in the FHUG Knowledge Base on how to set up all those three cloud services.

However, if you are comfortable with using a USB pen drive, then why not continue.

As long as you are happy with your backup regime, then device failure should not be a problem.

An important part of such a regime is to check from time to time that the backups will restore your data, as it will be too late after a device fails.

If you have any further questions then do ask.

Regards, Mike Tate