Re: Synchronising two computers

Mike Tate

Hi Cathy,

All the alternatives you have suggested are quite well-trodden paths that FH users have employed.

Regarding cloud storage there is a free allowance on each service, beyond which you must pay:

            Dropbox          = 2 GB

            OneDrive        = 5 GB

            Google Drive = 15 GB

Everything in your Family Historian Projects folder would have to fit within one of those allowances.

But other document folders for other purposes can go on another cloud service and all those services can run simultaneously.

They all have configuration settings that ensure local disk copies will exist on both of your computers as well as in the cloud store.

So, yes you will be able to operate perfectly well without Internet access and then resync once the Internet connection is restored.

There is advice in the FHUG Knowledge Base on how to set up all those three cloud services.

However, if you are comfortable with using a USB pen drive, then why not continue.

As long as you are happy with your backup regime, then device failure should not be a problem.

An important part of such a regime is to check from time to time that the backups will restore your data, as it will be too late after a device fails.

If you have any further questions then do ask.

Regards, Mike Tate