Re: FH Project Folder not updating on OneDrive

Mike Tate

Sorry Sandra but I am not sure I understand the full picture.

I had assumed that the FH File > Project Window has its Location pointing inside the OneDrive folder at the Family Historian Projects folder.

Please tell me that Location path value. Maybe it is still referring to the default My Documents\Family Historian Projects ?

Also, your description of folders is ambiguous.

Sandra's Tree_2017.fh_data should be inside Sandra's Tree_2017 and not alongside.

Folder names ending -DESKTOP-1AOM4SR (which I guess is the Device Name of your Desktop PC) indicate sync problems.

It would be better if you could post screenshots of File Explorer with folders expanded as much as possible.

Have you asked OneDrive to Backup your Documents folder?

i.e. Click OneDrive cloud icon, More ~ Settings then Backup tab and Manage back up.

Are Desktop or Documents or Pictures showing Files backed up ?

There is a lot there, so take your time.

Regards, Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Sandra Blackburn
Sent: 25 May 2020 17:45
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] FH Project Folder not updating on OneDrive

I have unticked the Files On-Demand setting and all folders in File Explorer, both OneDrive and PC, are now marked with a white tick on a green background icon.   When hovering over the OneDrive icon in the notification area of the task bar, it tells me all the files are up-to-date.  

I have now looked at the folders and files on OneDrive in File Explorer and to me the folder structure looks unusual.
Documents - FH Projects which has the following folders/files relating to my Project: 
Public 
Sandra's Tree_2017fh.data (24.5.2020)
Sandra's Tree_2017 (24.5.2020)
[this is an extra folder which wasn't there before]
Sandra's Tree_2017-DESKTOP-1AOM4SR (11.2.2020) [my desktop].

Also on OneDrive there is a second FH Projects folder, not within the documents folder, which contains
Public
Sandra's Tree_2017.fh_data
(16.6.2018)
Sandra's Tree_2017 (16.6.2018)

Somehow I think another copy of FH Projects has been copied to OneDrive outside the Documents folder and it is this latter folder containing the old files which is, I think, causing all the problems.   Would it be safe to delete this copy Project from OneDrive as you will see from my next paragraph that the up-to-date folders and files are within the Documents folder on OneDrive (as they are in This PC.

Since unticking Files On-Demand I now have the following files in File Explorer, This PC - FH Project Sandra's Tree_2017fh.data (24.5.2020), Sandra's Tree_2017 (24.5.2020) [this is an extra folder which wasn't there before] and Sandra's Tree_2017-DESKTOP-1AOM4SR (11.2.2020) [my desktop].   I am assuming the extra file is the laptop Project file which I deleted.   If so, can I safely delete this folder too from here and from OneDrive?  Would it, perhaps, be a good idea to delete all FH Project files from OneDrive and let it sync these files from scratch?

Many thanks for helping me with this.  Regards, Sandra

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Join family-historian@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.