Re: Backups, Saves and retrieving data

Merrifield Alpacas

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your help but I have decided to bite the bullet and re-enter the data [at some point]!!!  I had it set to autosave every 5 minutes so thought I had everything covered. It seems a shame though that Snapshot is only done once daily maybe there is room for improvement here???

Regards,

Shirley

From: family-historian@groups.io [mailto:family-historian@groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike Tate
Sent: 24 May 2020 21:37
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Backups, Saves and retrieving data

If you click the Help button in the Revert to Snapshot dialogue it tells you all about when they are taken.

They are taken at most once per day but only when changed data is saved.

That is why I suggested using the Snapshot taken first thing today.

You have not given me any feedback on what the File > Project Window says for Last Updated.

I have to admit that it is very strange for FH to lose data the way you are describing.

Now I presume you know where you are saving the FH Full Backup ZIP files.

They should be named similar to FH Project Backup - <projectname> - 2020-05-23 1234.zip

Where <projectname> is your Project Name and the numbers the date & time created.

If you create them as regularly as you say, there should be lots of them to choose from.

So use File > Backup/Restore > Restore Backup and select an appropriate backup from late yesterday.

It will recreate a copy of your Project but with a suffix (2) on its name, so your current Project is not affected.

Does that recover your lost data?

Regards, Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Merrifield Alpacas
Sent: 24 May 2020 17:56

Hello again Mike,

The only thing I had done this morning was to add the adopted and real birth status to a family member following the advice given on another thread.  I have taken the Revert Snapshot straight back to yesterday but still nothing.  How often do these Snapshots take place?

I don’t believe I moved any files elsewhere but of course when someone asks the question you start doubting!

Shirley

From: family-historian@groups.io [mailto:family-historian@groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike Tate
Sent: 24 May 2020 17:32

So you are saying you closed FH as normal yesterday but when you opened it today the File > Project Window says Last Updated was before yesterday?

Nothing unusual has happened between yesterday and today? You have not been moving or deleting any files anywhere?

Anyway, if you used the File > Backup/Restore > Full Backup command or the similar Full Backup prompt when you closed FH at the end of yesterday, then that should be a way forward, but let us try Snapshots first.

Use File > Backup/Restore > Revert to Snapshot and choose the Snapshot Taken today and click Revert to Snapshot.

If that does not recover your database then repeat the command and try yesterday’s Snapshot.

BTW: It saves your current database as Pre-revert type of Snapshot that can be restored if necessary.

Let me know if that recovers any of your database.

Regards, Mike Tate

Image removed by sender.

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Join family-historian@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.