Re: Changing Fact Types

Patrick Maloney

Hi again Mike!

OK, update. I found a UDF tag, _ADDR that seemed to be the one I was looking for. I selected it and clicked the '_ADDR UDF Tag to Residence' button. I ran it against a single individual, and received 6 warnings about invalid tags and the message: 'Check that the Source and Target are compatible', which I guess they weren't.

The change to the record was simply the addition of a new blank 'Residence' fact.

I'm out of my depth here.

Patrick

On 20/05/2020 00:40, Patrick Maloney wrote:

Mike,

I must be really dim. I can't for the life of me see how this plugin works.

At the top there are two buttons: 'Baptism to Christening' and 'Christening to Baptism'. These seem to be unchangeable. I don't want either of those.

Looking at the list of tags, I can't see 'Address' in any list. I assume 'Source Tag Name' is where I should be able to find this, and 'Target Tag Name' is where I enter 'Residence'?

I've been through all the Source Tag Sets and still can't find 'Address'.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Patrick

On 19/05/2020 21:20, Mike Tate wrote:

Hi Patrick,

That is quite a common problem when importing GEDCOM from other products.

There is general advice in the FHUG Knowledge Base ~ Importing to Family Historian:

https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=how_to:index#importing_to_family_historian

You may well find other abnormalities if you follow the above advice.

There is a Change Any Fact Tag Plugin that will perform the conversion to standard Residence facts.

There is advice in the FHUG Knowledge Base ~ Family Historian Plugins:

https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=plugins:index

That explains how to download Plugins from the Plugin Store and provides Help and Advice for the Plugin mentioned above.

BTW: Did you just open the GEDCOM file, or use File > Project Window > New Project > Import a GEDCOM file as a Project, which is recommended?