Re: Changing Fact Types

Patrick Maloney

Hi Mike,

Thanks four very fast and full response.

I originally imported the Gedcom file using the Import feature.

I'll try re-importing to a new project and see what it throws up. Then I'll try the Plugin.

Many thanks,

Patrick

On 19/05/2020 21:20, Mike Tate wrote:

Hi Patrick,

That is quite a common problem when importing GEDCOM from other products.

There is general advice in the FHUG Knowledge Base ~ Importing to Family Historian:

https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=how_to:index#importing_to_family_historian

You may well find other abnormalities if you follow the above advice.

There is a Change Any Fact Tag Plugin that will perform the conversion to standard Residence facts.

There is advice in the FHUG Knowledge Base ~ Family Historian Plugins:

https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=plugins:index

That explains how to download Plugins from the Plugin Store and provides Help and Advice for the Plugin mentioned above.

BTW: Did you just open the GEDCOM file, or use File > Project Window > New Project > Import a GEDCOM file as a Project, which is recommended?

Regards, Mike Tate

-----Original Message-----
From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Patrick Maloney
Sent: 19 May 2020 20:56
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Changing Fact Types

Hello Everyone,

I'm a recent convert to FH.  I transferred my research in Gedcom format into FH. My previous software package used the file-type 'Address', the equivalent of which in FH seems to be 'Residence'.

Many of he people in my file have multiple addresses, the fact types being Address [1], Address [2], etc.

Because my old software used 'Address' rather than 'Residence' results in the text for the fact being displayed as 'He experienced Address on

30 March 1851 in King St, Anytown, Anyshire.'

Is there a simple way to convert 'Address' fact-types to 'Residence'

fact-types? Otherwise I have hundreds, nay thousands of facts to change and/or re-enter.

Many thanks,

Patrick

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Join family-historian@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.