Re: Broken Links and Lost Sources

Mike Tate

Hi Geoff,

It sounds like the Project GEDCOM file has probably been corrupted.

The two methods of recovery are the Snapshots and Backups.

The Snapshot 11 August is effectively the GEDCOM file at that time.

If you have not added many Media since then, it is the best recovery option.

Use File > Backup/Recovery > Revert to Snapshot… and revert to that 11 August one.

It can do no harm. You may have to add anything added to your Project since that Snapshot was taken.

How did you ‘open’ the Backup? You cannot simply open the ZIP file. That will show many missing stuff.

Use File > Backup/Restore > Restore Backup… and select the latest ZIP file to create a new Project.

Another backup mechanism is to keep your Project folders in OneDrive or Google Drive or Dropbox so they are always saved up to the last few minutes.

Mike Tate