Re: Broken Links and Lost Sources

Mike Tate

Hi Geoff,

It sounds like the Project GEDCOM file has probably been corrupted.

The two methods of recovery are the Snapshots and Backups.

The Snapshot 11 August is effectively the GEDCOM file at that time.

If you have not added many Media since then, it is the best recovery option.

Use File > Backup/Recovery > Revert to Snapshot… and revert to that 11 August one.

It can do no harm. You may have to add anything added to your Project since that Snapshot was taken.

How did you ‘open’ the Backup? You cannot simply open the ZIP file. That will show many missing stuff.

Use File > Backup/Restore > Restore Backup… and select the latest ZIP file to create a new Project.

Another backup mechanism is to keep your Project folders in OneDrive or Google Drive or Dropbox so they are always saved up to the last few minutes.

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of familywalter@...
Sent: 12 August 2022 16:26
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Broken Links and Lost Sources

I had a brief power outage this morning whist FH 6.2.7 was open. PC continued to run but not communicating with screen.  Broadband went down but reconnected itself.  PC was powered down and restarted 30 mins later. PC now communicating with screen. Reopened FH to receive message listing "EXCLUDED" data which has not been loaded because "link to non-existent Source record". I was asked to 'validate' can't remember exactly what was being validated but FH appeared to find nothing wrong. I noticed that I had some sources missing so opened my backup from yesterday evening as 'Project 2'.  The bottom line is that even having opened an FH Backup I appear to have lost over 1000 sources and have over 1200 media items with no links.  
I have six FH Project Backups between 5-11 August and the most recent Snapshot is 11 August at 20.26.
Suggestions welcome as to how I might recover the situation. Thank you.
Geoff Walter

Join family-historian@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.