Re: Genealogical Proof Standard

David Potter

@Mike. Are there any clear descriptions as to what will be in FH7? I too am tidying and checking things in my research. Good fun but quite labour intensive. If there are tools that would make certain things easier I could hold off certain Clean/Check tasks until FH7 is released.

On Wed, 6 May 2020, 10:53 Mike Tate, <post@...> wrote:

Hi Terry,

To avoid any misunderstanding, presumably GPS does not mean Global Positioning System but Genealogical Proof Standard.

See https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/The_Genealogical_Proof_Standard_(National_Institute)

Not only does FH V7 have word-processing but also Source Citation Templates that may help with your GPS.

Regards, Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of claverterry
Sent: 06 May 2020 10:30
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Genealogical Proof Standard

I have used the current situation to take a 6 week online family history course (free at this time) with the University of Strathclyde. As part of that, I have been introduced to GPS. My reaction is that I have largely followed the spirit of the Proof Standard, but then again, I will formerly carry this out for direct ancestors.
I think I will have to construct a blank form, to ease the formal procedure, to use for each genealogical question being answered [the simplest examples  being 'who are the parents?' and 'who is the spouse?'].
I have 2 questions: (1) Has anyone else gone through this process formally and embedded the statements/reports in FH6? (2) Will the word processing facilities in the fabled FH7 help to embed such proof statements/reports?
Context: I have nearly 6k people on my tree and have been building it for about 12 years. I started with Legacy software then FTM but moved to FH6 3 years ago - what a wonderful piece of software. Custom queries are helping me to tidy up the information well.
regards Terry