Re: Rearrange Address and Places Parts Plugin

Vyger

David,

I religiously remove superfluous address information from the place entity and did this since the feature was released in Rootsmagic 4 maybe 14 years ago.

I believe it makes for more concise place recording and better hint accuracy so made sense to me. However at present I cannot geo-code, attach media and notes to addresses in Family Historian although I believe this will come within V7.

The reason I say that is these enhanced site components have become less of a niche and more mainstream in competitor software. And let's face it every WDYTYA program (and the like) the subject want to stand on the site of their ancestor and know a little history of the Church or building and a photograph if available.

Geographic clusters (within places) have also given me valuable clues in my research, for now this is the last thing I maintain outside FH but hopefully not for long. If your site and place strings are combined at present I would suggest beefing them up in preparation for a likely split utility if/when FH make the enhancement available.

Jackson

On Mon, 25 Apr 2022, 13:18 David Hodgson-Brown, <dave@...> wrote:

Thanks for the clarification.

I am not definitely going to do this, but reading the information on Gedcom 7 from the LDS I think it is implying that ‘Place’ is more like a legal entity, whereas the address is definitely one that can be used as a postal address so needs to be compete.

David