Re: How to merge part of a tree

Alsatia

Thanks Mike

In answer to your questions
1    Yes my wife and I exist as individuals in both projects
2    Yes our children etc exist as individuals in both projects
3    Most of the entries in one project came from the Reunion program used by my father many years ago.  As such there are some odd or no sources / places identified in much of that project following the transfer (checking sources will take some time to do!).  The other project is pretty well recorded in the usual formats.  Do you think this may cause a problem?

Regards
Clive

On 16/04/2022 11:18, Mike Tate wrote:

Clive,

As Victor says, even with one combined comprehensive master Project, it is easy to produce Diagrams and Reports for specific branches.

If it is not possible from the combined Project, it can be copied to a temporary Project, and the unwanted branches deleted using File > Split Tree Helper.

Then any Diagrams and Reports can be produced for the remaining branches, and finally the temporary Project is deleted.

That way you only ever need to update one master Project and when you create temporary copies you know they are accurate.

To keep you two current Projects for the time being and create a separate combined master Project follow this procedure.

In your Project, use File > Project Window… and then More Tasks > Copy Project giving it the desired master Project name.

Open that new master Project, use File > Merge/Compare File… and select the GEDCOM file in your Wife’s Project.

The details of the Merge process will depend somewhat on which Individuals, Families, Sources, Places, etc, are common to both Projects.

e.g.

Do you and your wife exist as Individuals in both Projects?

Do your children & grandchildren exist as Individuals in both Projects?

Do you have any Source records or Place records that are similar/identical in both Projects?

See the FHUG Knowledge Base advice on Merge/Compare File and digest the details and advice:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/merge-compare-file/

Since it is only your immediate family and the one common ancestor that are likely to exist in both Projects, the Merge should be straightforward.

However, it needs some care and attention to detail, and every type of record tab must be reviewed.

If anything is unclear then please ask before performing/completing the Merge.

However, if the Merge goes awry you can delete the master Project and start again with a new copy of your original Project.

Mike Tate