Re: How to merge part of a tree

Alsatia

Hi Victor

I've had a look at your suggestion and that seems to work well.  Another reason for me to use a combined project.

Thanks
Clive

On 16/04/2022 00:14, Victor Markham via groups.io wrote:

Clive

When the two projects are combined and you do a narrative report from the husbands ancestors and another from the wife's the report will give different details as if they were from separate trees

If you go to a person on your tree and open the 'view' menu at the top then prompt 'query' and from the menu prompt relationship. This will list all those related to the particular person you have highlighted on FH. Let's say the husband. This will list all the relationships he has. Do the same for the wife it will list different relationship names. Both are open like a spreadsheet which can be saved

There really is no need to have 2 separate projects

I also have FTM which gives more details of the names and the links. Something like '4th cousin of wife of 2nd cousin once removed of victor' FH just says 'no direct relationship'

Victor

On 15/04/2022 22:22, Alsatia wrote:
Hello Mike

Thanks for your advice.  You are correct in thinking I have one project for myself and one for my wife.  Ideally I would like to keep both projects separate but as you say  in this case any further common ancestors that are discovered  would need to be duplicated.  This could lead to errors.  On the other hand a common ancestor may mean there are other links to be found which would otherwise not be apparent that a merged project would facilitate.

I think that i would like to merge the two projects as a 3rd project and keep the original projects intact but unchanged.  If at some time in the future there are no more common ancestors to be discovered then the common information can be added separately to the two projects.  This would be best so only the relevant parts of the family history can be disseminated to my own family and to my wife's family.

Perhaps you would be so kind as to explain the relevant procedures to put this into effect.

Clive Barker

On 15/04/2022 20:30, Mike Tate wrote:
Hi Clive,

Reading between the lines, I guess you have two separate Projects; one for yourself, and one for your wife.

The recurring advice that is often given is that one combined Project is usually far superior.
It avoids the problem you are now facing for all common relatives.
It also often means such relatives are more easily and quickly discovered.
That includes not only common ancestors, as in this case, but also common descendants such as your children and grandchildren.
Having one Project avoids needing to update such common relatives in two Projects.

So the solution to your question depends on whether you wish to continue with two Projects and their parallel updating or to merge them into one composite Project that will be simpler to manage.