Re: Non use of default browser but uses microsoft browser

Neil Grantham

My apologies Derek, I didn't mean to offend in any way, I was making observations on similarities of the two browsers and the annoyances of users who like yourself prefer to use a none MS browser.

I obviously didn't know your health situation, and hope you are felling better soon. I only bought the NHS in to it as I am an IT Engineer supporting GP surgeries and the use of browsers is a hot topic.

Best Wishes

Neil.

------ Original Message ------
To: family-historian@groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, 11 Jan, 2022 At 19:04
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Non use of default browser but uses microsoft browser

Hello Neil,
I wish to point out that Mike gave me a lot of advice, most of which I had already done. The default browser has been set for Chrome for over a year.
Where I used the word 'preferred' was not meant to be. Not being too well, I had used the incorrect word for that phrase.
All the comments you are making seem to be irrelevant now unless you have nothing better to do. Why bring the NHS into it?
Derek

On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 at 18:37, Neil Grantham via groups.io <neil40=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

It was just an observation.

Unless you change your default browser as Mike directed you, this will always happen, as there is a big difference between 'preferred' and 'default'

The former is what you choose to browse with and the latter what will open from plugins, links etc. as that's what Windows knows to use until you change it.

Your annoyance would be compounded if you worked for the NHS as many online applications they use are coded to work with Edge, so the option to change default is disabled!!

Best Wishes

Neil

Sent via BT Email App

Sent: Jan 11, 2022 at 6:11 PM
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Non use of default browser but uses microsoft browser

Hello Neil,
What was annoying me was that I had Google Chrome open as usual along with Family History and FindMyPast open in chrome.
Then I ran a plugin which decided to use Edge. Meaning I now have two browsers open and have to jump between the two.
It may not have annoyed you but it does me when it is doing it with other plugins and other programs.
I'm not interested in whether they both use the same browser code, just the annoyance of Microsoft Edge sticking its nose in when I never asked it to.
But it has now got sorted out and I'm happy.
Derek Kain

On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 at 15:41, Neil Grantham via groups.io <neil40=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
As an aside, don't know what is annoying you about Edge, Derek, but it is interesting to note that both Edge and Chrome, are build on the same Chromium browser code.
--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow, Birchall.

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7

Join family-historian@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.