Re: Non use of default browser but uses microsoft browser

Derek Kain

Hello Mike,
Yes, I still set the default browser  Google Chrome.
image.png
I appreciate all your help but it's certainly baffling me. Also causing me some irritation. Have looked at Microsoft help but that mainly refers to something about Office 365? Cannot find the help I need.
Derek Kain

On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 at 10:22, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Sorry Derek, but although you say Google Chrome is your ‘preferred’ browser, I don’t think it is set as the Windows default browser.

You say that something is not set up correctly and cannot find out what. Well, I gave you the steps to find out.

Have you performed either of those steps I provided to check Google Chrome is the Windows default browser?

You may have set that in the past, but Windows Updates have a habit of resetting that to the Edge.

That is especially true with the recent changes to the Edge that Microsoft want you to use.

So please just follow the steps I have given and let me know how you get on.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Derek Kain
Sent: 11 January 2022 09:18
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Non use of default browser but uses microsoft browser

Hello BillH and Mike,

Yes I do have Google Chrome set as my prefered browser.

I also should point out that I use two screens. Chrome is shown in the second screen.

Family Historian is used in the first main screen.

I click on the TOOLS menu then PLUGINS. Open 'Lookup Missing Census Facts' and get 

Then click on Lookup Missing Census Facts. A list of records appears and I select the person I want. Click on OK. Then I get 

Are the above snips of Microsoft Edge or not?

I don't think I'm doing anything wrong except that something is not set up correctly and I cannot find out what?

Derek Kain

On Mon, 10 Jan 2022 at 22:06, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Thanks, Bill.

I suspect Derek may be using Google Chrome by manually choosing to open it.

However, it is not set as the default browser as far as Windows is concerned.

With Google Chrome open, click the three vertical dots top right and then choose Settings.

In the Settings page choose Default browser on the left and then click Make default in the middle.

Alternatively, in Windows 10 use Start > Settings > Apps > Default apps

Scroll down to Web browser that probably has the Edge icon, then click on it and choose Google Chrome.

Now it should be your default browser instead of the Edge.

Join family-historian@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.