Re: Non use of default browser but uses microsoft browser

Mike Tate

Thanks, Bill.

I suspect Derek may be using Google Chrome by manually choosing to open it.

However, it is not set as the default browser as far as Windows is concerned.

With Google Chrome open, click the three vertical dots top right and then choose Settings.

In the Settings page choose Default browser on the left and then click Make default in the middle.

Alternatively, in Windows 10 use Start > Settings > Apps > Default apps

Scroll down to Web browser that probably has the Edge icon, then click on it and choose Google Chrome.

Now it should be your default browser instead of the Edge.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of BillH
Sent: 10 January 2022 21:20
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Non use of default browser but uses microsoft browser

I meant to say:

On the far right in Edge there are three dots (...) which are similar to the three vertical dots in Chrome.

Bill

On Mon Jan 10 2022 13:17:51 GMT-0800 (Pacific Standard Time) BillH via groups.io wrote:

Mike,

I think the original web page is actually opening in Microsoft Edge.  On the far right in Edge there are three dots (...) which are similar to the three horizontal dots in Chrome.  If you click on those three dots, there is an option to Close Microsoft Edge near the bottom of the drop down list.

Why the original web page is opening in Edge is a different matter.  If I understand correctly it should only open in Edge if that is the default browser, but Derek indicated that that isn't the case. 

Bill

On Mon Jan 10 2022 13:04:41 GMT-0800 (Pacific Standard Time) Mike Tate wrote:

I don’t understand where you are seeing the ‘…’ on the screen.

The plugin produces two types of report:

1) FH Result Set (similar to a Query Result Set) with column headings No., Individual, Rec Id, Life Dates, Gen. Gap, etc.

2) Browser page (Google Chrome) with column headings No., ancestry.co.uk, findmypast.co.uk, familysearch.org, myheritage.com, etc.

But neither of them have ‘…’ on the right so I don’t know what you are clicking.

Please give me some more clues of what else is on the screen and whether it is inside FH or some other application.

Join family-historian@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.