From: "Lorna Craig via groups.io" <l.m.craig@...>
To: family-historian@groups.io
Sent: Friday, 1 May, 2020 At 17:16
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Merging multiple copies of Media files and beyond

Ray,

You need to be clear about the distinction between a media file and a media record. A media file will be (most often, but not exclusively) an image file in .JPG format, which is stored on your computer, probably within the Media folder of your FH project. A media record is a type of record within FH, listed on the Media tab of the Records window in FH, which links to one of those media files on you computer.

Can you clarify whether you want to rename a media file or a media record?

You can change the name of a media record within FH without breaking the link to the media file. On the other hand if you change the name of a media file the link to the media record will be broken. However it can be it can be fixed, using Tools>External File Links. If you need some help with that, ask again.

(You cannot merge two media files but you can merge two media records within FH, discarding one of the links to a media file the process. But this would not be the usual way to achieve your goal.)

Lorna

On 01/05/2020 16:27, rgadney@... via groups.io wrote:
Sorry to have created confusion in the Ether, multiple images of the same page is what I have.

I have another Question though. I would like to change some image file titles, I realise I cannot do that directly or they will get lost. Can I achieve the same objective by making another copy but with a different title and merging the original with all its data into the newly titled media file?

Regards Ray Gadney