Re: Source Records

Mike Tate

Roy,

Firstly, you did not confirm that all the other tabs listed as many records as you would have expected.

Have you checked that all your Media are OK?

As I said, it is not easy to delete Source records accidentally.

You would either have to delete each one by one and confirm the warning message;

OR copy them all to a Named List and use Delete Named List Records;

OR use Split Tree Helper and select the Delete all Source Records option.

Can you think of any way those Source records could have all been deleted?

So assuming you did not do any of those, I suspect what you have open is not your usual Project.

In the very top border of Family Historian does it say your Project name and – Family Historian Project – or does it say - Family Historian Gedcom - ?

If it says the latter, and you would have expected your Project then you have accidentally opened a GEDCOM file outside your Project.

If all the above is exactly how you would have expected, except for the missing Source records then try this:

Use File > Backup/Restore > Revert to Snapshot and review the Snapshot Taken list.

If that command is greyed out then you do not have a Project open.

If there is a recent Snapshot Taken just before the Source records disappeared, then select that and click Revert to Snapshot.

That will restore your GEDCOM file to its status on that chosen date.

You will then need to check that no Media are missing and generally review your Project.

The only other option is a Backup, so if the above methods fail, what Backups do you have?

Regards, Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Roy White
Sent: 25 April 2020 18:13
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Source Records

Thanks, Mike, for the response.  The Sources tab does exist and contains only one listing – one that I had created yesterday.  What now?

I am a TMG émigré – 2-3 yrs ago – and there were quite a lot of Records Sources that had survived the transfer process and, until now, was able to access them so as to not create so many duplicate.

Again, thanks for the response.

Roy

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike Tate
Sent: Saturday, April 25, 2020 3:15 AM
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Source Records

Hello Roy,

It helps in such problem cases to be more explicit about where you have looked to find something that has disappeared.

It is really quite difficult to delete large numbers of records by accident.

In the Records Window as shown below, click on each tab and check there are records listed for each type.

You may not have as many tabs as shown here, but the Sources tab (highlighted in yellow) should exist.

Are there any Source records listed there?

If they are listed there, where do you think they have disappeared from?

A screenshot of a social media post

Description automatically generated

Regards, Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Roy White
Sent: 24 April 2020 23:13
Subject: [family-historian] Source Records

My Source Records List seems to have disappeared.  How do I retrieve it so as to be able to use an established Source for a new entry?

Roy White

<roywhite@...>

Image removed by sender.

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Join family-historian@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.