Re: Formatting Narrative report

Michael Thomas

I hope you don’t mind me following Edward Sneithe’s question about narrative reports. After upgrading my OS I am learning about FH 7.0.7 as I couldn’t get the reports to work on my old machine and I know little about the technicalities.

The text of the narrative reports reads badly in my view – it’s almost biblical in parts! Can someone point me in the direction of the earlier type of report which had a traditional ‘dropdown’ appearance with bmds etc.? Photos would be a bonus.

My tree is more of a skeletal outline which is fairly superficial even though it goes back to the Battle of Agincourt for example. My interest is more towards writing monographs about people going back for a couple of generations only and adding a lot of detail from other archival sources. Thanks for any help.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Edward Sneithe via groups.io
Sent: 10 September 2021 14:51
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Formatting Narrative report

I am working on getting a better more readable format to my narrative reports. I have done some modification of the sentences for both standard facts and my custom facts. The one thing that eludes me is how to provide paragraph or line spacing on an individual fact.

On one fact I may want to separate it from the previous fact and later that same fact type I want to merge with the previous fact. If I use the <para> or <br> in the sentence definition then all of those fact occurrences are treated the same.

I can modify each fact sentence to accommodate but that disconnects that fact from the global fact so any change to the basic fact is not incorporated.

I have thought about creating a new fact called PARGRAPH and LINE BREAK  and then insert that fact wherever I want a break but that will make my property box fact list messy.

Has anyone found a solution to this that is not worse than the problem?

Join family-historian@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.