Re: Incremental Record IDs


Brian Horridge
 

Colevalleygirl

I agree that FH does not re-use "empty" IDs in the middle of a sequence but the IDs in the case of these deleted records had the highest numbers.  After I deleted the unwanted records, the highest number was the previous highest so FH should have re-allocated the first deleted entry's number again (as there were no higher numbers lift in the gedcom file).

The numbers are as follows:-
Previous numbers                last highest = 1619
Records added by mistake (and then deleted)  1620-1626
ID of next "new" entry added     1627

After deleting records 1620-1626 (and after closing and re-opening the project) FH should have used 1620 again not the 1627 it did use.

Brian



On 30/08/2021 14:48, colevalleygirl@... wrote:

FH has never reused record numbers.

 

If you want to renumber everything, use Tools> Record Identifiers > Generate New Records IDs starting from 1.

 

However, if the record number are important to you (perhaps because you’ve used them in a filing scheme or on a website that you can’t easily regenerate with the new numbers) this will not be what you want.

 

Most people seem to leave the numbers untouched (i.e. allow FH to allocate them) and live with any gaps.

 

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Horridge via groups.io
Sent: 30 August 2021 14:41
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Incremental Record IDs

 

Can someone help please.

By mistake, I added some people into a wrong project which, once realised, I then deleted the relevant individuals, families, places and any other fact about these people that I could find.

However, when I next went to add someone to the same project, I noticed that the next Record ID allocated was the one after the people I had just deleted which then left a gap in the Record ID numbering.  I'm sure I've done this in the past and FH has then re-used the first deleted ID (I envisioned FH learnt the "next number" when loading the Gedcom file).

I've tried re-starting my project several times (having "saved" it without the unwanted entries) and every time the same thing happens.

I'm assuming there is something somewhere related to the project / Gedcom which records the last number used but I cannot find where / how to reset this.

I am using FH Ver 6.2.7

Many thanks

Brian


Virus-free. www.avg.com

Join family-historian@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.