Re: Reference a section of place

Edward Sneithe

I want the point ability since I want to locate very closely where ancestors lived, traveled, etc. One task I have that I have not yet found a suitable platform is to be able to mapĀ  very specific migration pattern. I also need to add waypoints to adjust the migration path so I don't get unrealistic results. If I want to map Miami to Boston it takes a path out over the Atlantic when in reality the path would be through Florida, Alabama, Carolinas, etc.

Some people even want to go as fine as the location of a single grave in a cemetery

So far I can get the ability to map a path or reasonable maps but not both in the same product. It would be nice if I could map a path in FH.

I can adjust FH data to align with what I want without the waypoints.

On Monday, August 16, 2021, 01:58:44 PM EDT, David F <fhug-forum@...> wrote:

Is the basic problem that geocoding "puts a pin in a map"?

Places are areas, whilst addresses are much closer to points.

If you want to check who lived in a house through a period of time, or who were close neighbours, you probably want point-mapping (which either has to be "full-address" based or manually adjusted). If you are trying to show general migration (say from "Ireland" to "USA" or even "Cork" to "New York State") you probably want area-mapping.

Reducing an area to a point can be misleading; USA gets reduced to a point somewhere in Kansas, Australia gets reduced to somewhere close to Alice Springs.

Trouble is area-mapping requires definition of numerous points on sometimes complex boundaries - unless the system can piggy back on another existing mapping system that already understands areas. Even then, genealogists will want to define places like "Yorkshire, West Riding" which modern mapping systems no longer recognise!

David