Re: Reference a section of place

Edward Sneithe

Mike,

I was thinking that if we use  place field like Address, City, County, State, Country that we re dependent on properly placed commas for missing data. I know you can't speak for FH but it would seem nice that when we are entering a place that we could get a formatted scree for all the possibilities for place and then FH would properly format the place field with comma for missing data.

Just a thought. It would make entering and extracting individual pieces more reliable

On Monday, August 16, 2021, 12:46:03 PM EDT, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Yes, the FHUG Knowledge Base ‘Working with Places and Addresses’ explains similar options:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/working-with-places-and-addresses-for-new-users/

Family Historian allows some deviation from the GEDCOM specification, as do most products.

IMO the omission of Address from geocoding was a mistake.

I advise that you format your Place and Address data to suit your use of FH rather than adhere to the GEDCOM specification too closely.