Re: Name conflict with an existing file

Lorna Craig

Another tip you may not be aware of is that you can link Media files to FH without ever using the Add Media > Insert from File method, thus bypassing the bit where FH asks if you want it to make a copy.   Once you have put the Media file where you want it (in my case in a sub-folder of the FH Media folder - I have many sub-folders) you can simply drag-and-drop the file from there onto the Media tab of the relevant record in FH (which may be an Individual record, Family record, Source record, Place record).  This immediately creates a new Media record linked to the other record.  It's very quick.  I have thousands of Media files linked to FH and would not want them all duplicated elsewhere on my PC.  I do have ample external backups of my whole FH project of course.

To explain my workflow: any media files which are relevant to FH but which are not yet linked to FH are kept in a folder called WIP (Work in Progress) outside FH.  This reminds me that anything in that folder still has to be dealt with.  When I am ready to link a file to FH I move it to the relevant sub-folder of the FH Media folder, than drag-and-drop as described above to link it to FH.

As you will discover, one of the strengths of FH is that it lends itself to a variety of ways of working.

Lorna

On 14/04/2020 10:19, Mike Tate wrote:

Different people work in different ways.

Some users copy the Media files directly into the Project’s Media folder, so there is no duplicate elsewhere.

FH also allows Media files to be linked from any location outside the Project, so there is no copy inside the Project. The copy mode is an option and not mandatory.

Those techniques keep the number of Media files to an absolute minimum, and users would not want FH to delete them, especially as I believe they do not even go into the Recycle Bin.

Also, as I said, the same Media file can be linked to more than one Media record, and deleting one record should not delete the file linked to another record.

Yes, FH could give options to delete record only or both record & file, but how would that work when bulk deleting many Media records at once?

Would it be a global option, or would FH ask for each record?

It is worth remembering that the number of scenarios where Media records need deleting are really very rare.

In your case, where I believe the Media record needed renaming, that could be done without deleting the Media record.

Regards, Mike Tate