Re: Name conflict with an existing file

Victor Markham

When I save a media file I save it in my document folder. I then copy it into FH. Should I change my mind and delete the FH copy it always remains in my document folder unless I choose to delete that as well. To that is how things should be. My document folder lists separate surname folders, certificates and census details

On 14 Apr 2020, at 05:47, John Burton <blakey1954@...> wrote:

Mike and Adrian,

In my situation I end up with two copies, the original source file (eg, Photo, Birth cert.) in a completely separate folder on my PC, the second within FH in the Media folder above … File Explorer shows two files of the same name, one in FH, the other in a separate folder outside of FH.

So when I delete the record in FH I would have expected it, or advised me exactly what I was going to delete and given options, eg, record only, record and file etc., to have deleted the record and the copy of the original document in the Project media folder while I still retain my original source file completely separate from FH.

I’m trying to keep the number of file duplicates not only in FH but other applications to a manageable, less confusing, minimum.

One thing I have learnt early on, stressed to me by others doing geneaology, is to have backups of all one’s precious files.

Regards

John Burton.