Re: How do I see the full citation

Santa Traugott

I want all of the information that I entered in the Civil Registration Essential Source Template to be displayed in the footnotes.  So far, I can’t make that happen.  The only thing that is displayed in a footnote  is the source title.  I interpreted Mike to say that in order to make the other fields entered in the Source Template display, I would have to change the Source Template definitions.  But it turns out that the Essential Source Template definitions cannot be edited so as to add fields to what is displayed.  Instead, you have to make a copy of the template, and on that copy, you can specify the fields of the Source Template that you want displayed.

But I am so confused now.

On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 2:17 PM colevalleygirl@... <colevalleygirl@...> wrote:

Sandra, do you actually need to add fields? Or just get the existing fields to show up in the footnote/source list?

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Santa Traugott
Sent: 24 May 2021 19:07
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] How do I see the full citation

I think that there is a small caveat to the first sentence above.   That is, the Essential Source Template Definitions themselves cannot be edited to add fields.   What I glean from reading the documentation (and experimenting with trying to do it) is that one would have to clone the source template definition, thereby producing a Custom Source Template, which can then be edited to add fields.    Please correct me if I have misunderstood this.

Producing a set of custom templates that generates footnotes as I want them to be would seem to at least assure consistency in sourcing, as opposed to going the generic sourcing route.