Re: Still struggling with mapping

David Wilkinson

The mapping service FH provides is 'free' and whilst it correctly finds many places, it is far from 100% and we have to live with that. I sometimes wonder how on earth it can get it so wrong. It strikes that this service reads places from left to right, but if I was writing an algorithm to do it I would read it right to left, i.e. starting with the country. Like you my places were untidy (I have over 12,000) and I am slowly checking all my mappings and if I add a new I always check the geolocation before moving on.

On 01/05/2021 07:09, johnfirr via groups.io wrote:
Following a few previous posts I am gradually getting all my mapping sorted out as my place name record set was frankly a mess. I have now spent a couple of weeks doing a very careful tidy up. Everything is now in a four column set up so which I use as "district", "Town", "County", "Country". I always put the place as recorded in place and then as you would look for it today in the standardised box if that is different to the record.

All well and good and it is 99% there now. However when I look at the map all places window I still have about a dozen places that are showing in the wrong country so for example one entry which is down as : Tramere, Birkenhead, , England and standardised as Tranmere, , Merseyside, England is still showing in Australia. I have others which are clearly labelled as England showing in USA.

Its only about a dozen out of nearly 1000 places but it would be great to get it all properly aligned. Is there something I am missing?

regards
John Firr