Re: Problems using Facts page

Rexarino

Mike, you have answered all the questions I asked or implied, thanks.
I do not see the List Of Shared Fact Witnesses by double clicking anywhere, but I suspect that a dive into settings might change what's displayed. I do see that the sentence for my entry for Graduation states that, "He was a Witness at Graduation of ----"  which really should have been a clue (a rather obvious one!) had I looked at it. And I see the triple-blue-ball in the More column, and thanks to you I know what it means.
When I moved to Family Historian, I was both overwhelmed by it and highly motivated to enter data from the thousands of sources I was bequeathed by my wife's parents; I "inherited" suitcases and trunks and boxes of unsorted pictures and documents, thousands of items. I now find myself attempting to better understand FH, mostly because I subscribed to this list and have read so many eye-opening discussions from you and the other knowledgeable people posting here. I appreciate your gentle suggestions that I explore the help pages - you could have rightfully said, "Read the manual, idiot!" [Grin]

Wishing all on the list continued health and successful family searches,
Rex

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 4:00 AM Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Rex,

There are a great many features in FH, and if you have not explored the Help pages or experimented with the Family Historian Sample Project, then some of them may be something of a mystery. Start with the Help > Quick Start Guide and follow the links at the end to get more advice.

Mostly, the re-ordering commands rely on the Facts having Dates otherwise there is very little to determine their order!

The blue arrow indicates a Shared Fact Witness, which I presume you must have added in TMG.

In this Graduation case, your wife is the Principal person and so her fact has a blue bullet, and you are the Shared Fact Witness.

For both entries, there is a triple-blue-ball icon in the More column to indicate the existence of a Shared Fact Witness.

If you double-click either entry it shows a list of each Shared Fact Witness and their Role.

I hope that explains why this Graduation fact is the only one of your wife’s facts that appear in your Facts tab.

Each Family record holds the relationship between the husband, wife and their children.

It also holds Facts that apply just to the couple such as Engagement, Marriage, Separation, and Divorce.

The Birth event of a Child is not held there but in the Individual record of the child, just like the Birth event of every other Individual.

Does that answer all your questions?

Mike