Re: Import and created death

Edward Sneithe

Here are copies of two gedcom files I created in Rootsmagic. I am in the process of moving to FH but there is one glitch in FH that has been reported and passed to the developers that I need before completely moving. The first gedcom is one I created with a single person and there is a checkbox that indicates living or not.  Not sure about the terminology of a flag in this case. I am aware that "flags" do not transfer. The difference between the two files is just after the "3 ROLE Witness". If the living status is checked then there is nothing about a death. If I don't check the living box then there is an additional line "1 DEAT Y". This is probably what is causing the blank death fact in FH.

Is there a way to not create an empty death fact in this case? It creates way too many errors in the query for facts without sources for that query to be really useful.

Person is living.

0 HEAD
1 SOUR RootsMagic
2 NAME RootsMagic
2 VERS 7.6.5.0
2 CORP RootsMagic, Inc.
3 ADDR PO Box 495
4 CONT Springville, UT 84663
4 CONT USA
3 PHON 1-800-ROOTSMAGIC
3 WWW www.RootsMagic.com
1 DEST RootsMagic
1 DATE 1 MAR 2021
1 FILE TestWitness-living.ged
1 GEDC
2 VERS 5.5.1
2 FORM LINEAGE-LINKED
1 CHAR UTF-8
0 @I1@ INDI
1 NAME John /Public/
2 GIVN John
2 SURN Public
1 SEX M
1 _UID 0CAC9769895742CB83248B24A9B8E469A952
1 CHAN
2 DATE 1 MAR 2021
1 BIRT
2 DATE 1 JAN 1940
2 _SHAR @I2@
3 ROLE Witness
0 @I2@ INDI
1 NAME Harry /Jones/
2 GIVN Harry
2 SURN Jones
1 _UID B0983010FA374CEEB16AD494E30DA0868C86
1 CHAN
2 DATE 10 FEB 2021
0 TRLR

Person is not living.

0 HEAD
1 SOUR RootsMagic
2 NAME RootsMagic
2 VERS 7.6.5.0
2 CORP RootsMagic, Inc.
3 ADDR PO Box 495
4 CONT Springville, UT 84663
4 CONT USA
3 PHON 1-800-ROOTSMAGIC
3 WWW www.RootsMagic.com
1 DEST RootsMagic
1 DATE 1 MAR 2021
1 FILE TestWitness.ged
1 GEDC
2 VERS 5.5.1
2 FORM LINEAGE-LINKED
1 CHAR UTF-8
0 @I1@ INDI
1 NAME John /Public/
2 GIVN John
2 SURN Public
1 SEX M
1 _UID 0CAC9769895742CB83248B24A9B8E469A952
1 CHAN
2 DATE 1 MAR 2021
1 BIRT
2 DATE 1 JAN 1940
2 _SHAR @I2@
3 ROLE Witness
1 DEAT Y
0 @I2@ INDI
1 NAME Harry /Jones/
2 GIVN Harry
2 SURN Jones
1 _UID B0983010FA374CEEB16AD494E30DA0868C86
1 CHAN
2 DATE 10 FEB 2021
0 TRLR

On Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 07:16:44 AM EST, Lorna Craig via groups.io <l.m.craig@...> wrote:

Although Edward talked about a Living flag he also said

“If the person was living then no death fact but if the flag said not living then FH manufactures a death fact.”

A flag which says “not living” is not the same thing as the absence of a Living flag, so I think he is using different terminology. I think he is referring to a tag which can have the values of Y, N, or none.