Re: Researching and documenting apparent change of Family Surname

John Hanson

Stephen

Use the GRO’s own website to search for the birth or death (update 1924 for births and 1957 for deaths) using

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp

Click on the result displayed for the one that you are interested in and it will then show “Certificate” and “PDF” (if the PDDF version is available)

Whichever you click on it will fill in order form for you

You will get a confirm screen for everyone that you order as a PDF to say that you are aware that it has no legal standing
And will only charge you £7

Check back on the date for delivery and it will be available for download – no waiting for the even slower post these days