Re: Researching and documenting apparent change of Family Surname

John Hanson

Colin

Unfortunately not what this list is really for as it is for issues with the software or the way it works

However having looked at the family on the 1911 and checked the birth registrations both in FreeBMD and the GRO’s own indexes both Olive and Percy were registered as BROWNING with a mothers maiden name of APPS. Why people changed their surnames is a mystery and providing that it was not with the intention of de-frauding someone there is nothing wrong

You may never find the solution but I would suggest that getting the birth certificate of either Olive or Percy might be a good start. Order a PDF copy via the GRO website and get one for £7 rather than the usual £11