From: Jan Murphy <packrat74@...>
Date: 13/02/2021 19:55 (GMT+00:00)
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Comprehensive User Manual ?

Hello, Paul --

If you haven't already, I encourage you to join the FHUG forum, search for previous discussions, and start a new one.

I took a fiction workshop once where everyone read drafts and then offered criticisms and suggestions to fix things that weren't working. There I learned that even if a writer didn't take the suggested advice for a fix, the suggestion is still of value because it gives you something to bounce your own idea off of.  "No, I don't want to do X, Y will work better."

If prompted, I suspect people will talk about the advantages and disadvantages of doing things their way.   I also have some cases where I need to do a combo One-Name and One-Place study and have been pondering how best to handle the data, so I'd be interested in hearing what you've done so far.  The forum is probably best for a discussion like that.

I agree with Adrian that it helps to get some data into the program and play with it to see what things look like.  For people doing their own family research, I often suggest that they enter records from an associate or neighbor when doing a test-drive, to avoid the monotony of always entering the same family data over and over again.

I hope you can have a fruitful discussion that will help you clarify your thoughts.

Jan Murphy

On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 8:05 AM Paul Sillitoe <paul@...> wrote:
Thank you all. These are the sorts of options that I need to know about in more detail. You are right to ask "what will work for me?" At this stage, I'm trying to better assimilate what information is available, and narrow the options down, while avoiding splitting too many infinitives and hairs.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone but not so smart as to usefully auto-correct the typos from my large fingers ūüôā