Re: Revoked will

Julia Vokes

I’m wondering if this instance was actually a variation of the Will which has to happen within two years of the person dying. Essentially it varies the distribution of the estate and is sometimes known as a Deed of family arrangement. It doesn’t matter whether the deceased left a Will or not. So I’m thinking maybe a relative came forward?
Below is the summary from the gov.uk website

Also known as a variation – or deed of family arrangement – this allows beneficiaries to rearrange or vary their entitlement. A deed of variation can be used by any person who receives a gift under a will to redirect their inheritance to another person. ... Changes can be made provided all the beneficiaries agree.

It’s a useful device as it can be used to reduce inheritance tax

Regards
Julia

, please excuse any typos.

On 6 Feb 2021, at 07:22, Adrian Bruce <abruce6155@...> wrote:

I've never heard of a revoked Admon either - presumably distribution of the estate had not completed, else there'd be no point in revoking the Admon?

For the revoking, as it's something that is unlikely to appear again very often, if at all, I'd probably just record the 2 grants of Letters of Administration, and in the notes for the second grant, I'd record the revoking there. Add a similar note to the first grant, if you like.

If you don't use fact notes and don't want to start, then I guess that a custom event would be the way to go.