Re: Reassign Addresses to Place Names plugin.

Adrian Bruce

Errm. Those US genealogists who worry about place name formats tend to stick to the GEDCOM idea that the place name is a jurisdiction. Therefore the township (assuming that you mean the level of local government) is the first element of their place names.

As a result, an event can have a place name starting with "Springfield" (say) even though the settlement of Springfield isn't the settlement nearest to the event - instead the event is in the jurisdiction of Springfield township or whatever it's called in that state. (New York State calls them towns I believe, which can lead to even more confusion over what's meant.)

If I have misrepresented the practices of any of our American colleagues here, my apologies!